Hi, for a long time I've been doing my pinch harmonics by letting my middlefinger-nail touch the string after I pick it. The problem is that I really cant get them to really squeel properly. This might be because I havent really practised them for so long or perhaps it's harder to make squeelies with your nail than with your thumb. So should I start over and learn them with my thumb instead or should I train more on my "nail-technique". The problem with the thumb technique (other than not getting a harmonic most of the time because I havent practised it) is that I have to kinda change my grip on the pick so I kinda choke it, is this the correct technique or will I be able to do pinch harmonics holding it normally if I just train on it hard enough?

Thankful for answers
I started off the same way, trouble is there is always a split second delay between you picking the note and the harmonic being made - while you move your finger up. I don't know how you hold the pick, but if you hold your thumb straight and bend your index finger around so that the nail runs almost parrallel under your thumb, thats how you should really be holding the pick. And as for making the harmonic, just squeeze the pick tighter, angle it slightly downward and pick sort of...into the guitar a bit so your thumb strikes the string directly and with force. Its easiest to practice this on the 2nd/3rd fret of the thickest string while you get the hang of it. Sorry if that didn't make much sense...it's hard to explain without a video really
Quote by SkepsisMetal
I started off the same way, trouble is there is always a split second delay between you picking the note and the harmonic being made - while you move your finger up. I don't know how you hold the pick, but if you hold your thumb straight and bend your index finger around so that the nail runs almost parrallel under your thumb, thats how you should really be holding the pick. And as for making the harmonic, just squeeze the pick tighter, angle it slightly downward and pick sort of...into the guitar a bit so your thumb strikes the string directly and with force. Its easiest to practice this on the 2nd/3rd fret of the thickest string while you get the hang of it. Sorry if that didn't make much sense...it's hard to explain without a video really

nono, my nailtechnique is a one-motion-move. And I hold my pick so that I mostly hold it with my thumb and index finger but I also use my middlefinger to keep it steady kinda. That way my middle-finger-nail is even closer to the string than my thumb so it should be less delay between the note and the harmonic right? Anyways, thanks for the advice on training it with my thumb
def do it with ur thumb. but the biggest thing is there are only a few places on the string near the pickups where u have to hit with ur thumb in order to make a pinch harmonic, the same way a natural harmonic only works on certain frets. so poke around and find the sweet spots (some will create a higher pitch the closer to the bridge u go).
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Quote by xxunder-takerxx
the same way a natural harmonic only works on certain frets.

i get a natural harmonic on almost every fret except for the first fret
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
I flick it with the outside of my thumb, right on the knuckle. It works great for me and has for years.