How am I suppost to finger this?the sweep part actully.
|-21-17----------------17-21-17-------------------|
|-------19----------19------------19----------------|
|----------19----19------------------20-------------|
|-------------19------------------------21-19-16---|
|---------------------------------------------------18-|
|-------------------------------------------------------|
|
My gear
Schecter 7 string hellraiser
1984 Charvel (model unknown)
Mesa boogie Dual Recto Solo head
and some pedels!

UG's HateCrew Member
Roll your middle finger for the 19s, index on the 17.
Quote by santa_man99
THANK you. I love you forever.

Quote by DrFuzz
Why are you researching for Christmas? It's only Ma- HOLY CRAP WHERE'S 2009 GONE!?!?!?

Quote by ilikepirates
You're right, that is weird. You win.
Thanks man! That was really stumping me.I thoughts thats what I would have to do I was just makeing sure.
My gear
and some pedels!

UG's HateCrew Member
I should point out the tab is wrong. Paul Gilbert never sweeps.

Assuming this is the Racer X/Paul Gilbert one, I don't know if there are other songs called Scarified.
Quote by FallsDownStairs
I should point out the tab is wrong. Paul Gilbert never sweeps.

Assuming this is the Racer X/Paul Gilbert one, I don't know if there are other songs called Scarified.

You're completely right, I just watched a video of it, and he doesn't play that at all.
Quote by santa_man99
THANK you. I love you forever.

Quote by DrFuzz
Why are you researching for Christmas? It's only Ma- HOLY CRAP WHERE'S 2009 GONE!?!?!?

Quote by ilikepirates
You're right, that is weird. You win.
It's string skips, not sweeps.
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.
That's how he played it with Racer X, now he uses string-skipping instead.
I do have the correct tab from when PG was talking about it in guitar world, if you can tell me the part of the song that its in I can possibly tab up the correct part.

EDIT:

Amer, I can assure you. Paul Gilbert has said countless time in every song he has performed he never sweeps. He knows how too, but he can only sweep down (Low E to high E) He said he can't sweep up (High E to Low E) because he was always too scared. So he began alternate picking wide intervals and arpeggios fast enough to sound like sweeps.
Last edited by FallsDownStairs at Aug 17, 2009,
Quote by Amer91
That's how he played it with Racer X, now he uses string-skipping instead.

he admitted he only knows about 2 sweeps.
and i don't think the one from TS is 1 of them
If I recall correctly, Bruce and Gilbert both played the sweep live. It was only in Paul's own renditions that he used his string skipping to play the arpeggio.
Typing in purple makes me look a bit like an elitist. I highly enjoy it.
Quote by FallsDownStairs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlCTdemie8E&feature=related

Thats the vid on youtube where he talks about sweep picking and admits that he can only go up (Low E to High E) and not down. He then began looking how other people who play different instruments use arpeggios and started spreading them out.

i lol'd my ass off at 1:37
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by toine
he admitted he only knows about 2 sweeps.
and i don't think the one from TS is 1 of them

I've seen him in videos playing it live with Racer X. He used to sweep it. In his solo version, he plays it with string skipping.
In his early years he used sweep picking, even though he says he cant do it; he's very good at it too. He plays exclusivly with string skipping now however
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
If they are the same Notes, Being Sweeped or String Skipped, it should only matter how well you yourself can play it with either technique. Do whatever technique you can play it better with.

If Paul feels he can String skip it better than Sweep it, thats Paul's Choice.
Quote by Life Is Brutal
If they are the same Notes, Being Sweeped or String Skipped, it should only matter how well you yourself can play it with either technique. Do whatever technique you can play it better with.

If Paul feels he can String skip it better than Sweep it, thats Paul's Choice.

the phrasing might come out a little different though... string skipped vs swept.. the string skipping is more fun for this song.. at least to me and you get a nicer sounding phrase.. but again all this is my opinion
Quote by drawnacrol
Does anyone else find it weird that Paul taps with his index finger and holds the pick with his middle finger when tapping,it looks so awkward

No, I actually do the same lol.
Quote by Sicon
How am I suppost to finger this?
|

Haha
You Are Reading A True Guitarists Signature. Stop Thinking I'm Not You Know I Am.

Quote by imdeth
Eblast over her face and tell her you need your privacy.
i was looking at the racerX (ver3) of scarified.I dont like sweeping.I cant do it lol thats why to lol.
My gear
and some pedels!

UG's HateCrew Member
Quote by FallsDownStairs
I do have the correct tab from when PG was talking about it in guitar world, if you can tell me the part of the song that its in I can possibly tab up the correct part.

EDIT:

Amer, I can assure you. Paul Gilbert has said countless time in every song he has performed he never sweeps. He knows how too, but he can only sweep down (Low E to high E) He said he can't sweep up (High E to Low E) because he was always too scared. So he began alternate picking wide intervals and arpeggios fast enough to sound like sweeps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEq75Q8FRnM

1:00 Sweep-tapping

and this is in 2008

There's a Racer X version of Scarified where the solos are harmonized and the bridge between the riff and the chorus is swept and Paul gilbert's own version where the bridge is string-skipped

Racer X :38
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOW_-OESnq0

Paul Gilbert :56
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPGA3vjMLgE&feature=related

Keep in mind that during his Racer X years, Paul Gilbert was practically insane on the guitar.

I think Racer X is a pretty cool guy. eh shreds on the guitar and doesn't afraid of anything
Quote by MRavioli
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEq75Q8FRnM

1:00 Sweep-tapping

and this is in 2008

There's a Racer X version of Scarified where the solos are harmonized and the bridge between the riff and the chorus is swept and Paul gilbert's own version where the bridge is string-skipped

Racer X :38
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOW_-OESnq0

Paul Gilbert :56
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPGA3vjMLgE&feature=related

Keep in mind that during his Racer X years, Paul Gilbert was practically insane on the guitar.

I think Racer X is a pretty cool guy. eh shreds on the guitar and doesn't afraid of anything

For the Gargoyle video. If you watch closely he only sweeps down. He doesn't sweep back up. Which again, my video of the interview of him talking about sweeping is in fact correct. He only sweeps down, however, I'm sure he can sweep up and down if he practiced it.
Quote by FallsDownStairs
For the Gargoyle video. If you watch closely he only sweeps down. He doesn't sweep back up. Which again, my video of the interview of him talking about sweeping is in fact correct. He only sweeps down, however, I'm sure he can sweep up and down if he practiced it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYB1oVjAO6s
2:28, he sweeps down and up, he's always been able to but he chooses not to
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Quote by FallsDownStairs

EDIT:

He can sweep up, but he almost never does. It sounded perfectly clean too. He CAN sweep pick quite well, but he greatly prefers string skipping.
Quote by Sicon
i was looking at the racerX (ver3) of scarified.I dont like sweeping.I cant do it lol thats why to lol.

Sweeping is one of those things that is incredibly difficult for a long time until it "clicks" with you. Then it becomes easy as sin. Cleanliness is the thing you need to work on the most with sweeping.