I was wondering, which would be more "proper" when positioning the thumb at the back of the neck? Would the tip of the thumb be touching the back of the fretboard, or the pad of the thumb?
If you're playing fast or doing wide stretches, thumb behind the neck. For most bending and vibrato and playing on the higher notes, you can move your thumb to be over the fretboard.
Quote by jtRawr
I was wondering, which would be more "proper" when positioning the thumb at the back of the neck? Would the tip of the thumb be touching the back of the fretboard, or the pad of the thumb?

He means how should his thumb be positioned on the neck.

For me, I find that when I use the tip my thumb tends to slide off of the neck, so I use the pad of thumb.
I like metal

Gear (still working on it ) :

Epiphone SG G-310
Marshall MG10cd
Boss MT-2 Metal zone

Quote by DiSTuRBeD -26-
^listen to him

Metalli-freak
Use the pad and knuckle, its more stable
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Wow, I've never even thought about this before. Damn, now I'll be paranoid about it! Using just your thumb tip is pretty weird; I just tried it and it's basically stabbing your (guitar) neck with your nail. Hmm. The pad is definitely more reliable and gives you more stability and holding power.
Often my thumb is wrapped around the neck. It's not really something I think about. If I do a scale run or a chord that needs stretching my thumb automatically goes down touching the back of the neck only.

In classical guitar you don't wrap your thumb around the neck and don't fret the low E string either. So if you're that kinda of person, you probably should care about not wrapping the thumb. But otherwise I don't see why anybody would care ^^
wrist bent inwards, if you have a Strat, keep your thumb on the line at the back. When playing a chord, my guitar teacher always taught me to keep my thumb behind my middle finger
My instructor always said if you need your thumb then you need to practice more. I can play completely fine with or without it on the back of the neck. It should never be seen by the people in front of you if you want to talk about proper technique though. The thumbprint should be in the center of the neck, not sticking over the top. You dont grab the neck and then fret a chord remember. You place your thumb there for an anchor at best.
99% of guitar players have their thumbs visible if facing someone though. Shows you how many players really care. lmao