I play a Jackson WRMG and I've recently noticed build up of gunk in the crevaces of the fretboard. It's the same stuff that builds up on your mouse after a long period of use. Q-Tips don't work and I don't want to use anything sharp. Is there some type of guitar cleaning fluid that will dissolve this stuff?
0000 steel wool and some lemon oil is what you need.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
i can tell you what has worked for me is orange glo (citrus based like lemon oil). i put in on a rag and rub the gunk right off. keep in mind this is for a rosewood fretboard on a LP. but it works. and after i just buff it with a clean rag. i refuse to pay 5 or 6 bucks for a small bottle of cleaner.
i suggest lemon oil as well, you should clean the fret board everytime you change your strings, keeps the neck in good condition.
Gear:
Epiphone Sg-400 standard
Epiphone DR 100 VS
Fender FM 212
Boss ME-50
Quote by oneblackened

Back in the day when I had gunk on my fretboard, I would take a credit card and scrape at it

And then a friend of mine told me exactly what is quoted. The very light steel wool really gets the gunk off good.

So a +1 to that
Steel wool doesn't damage the fretboard? The only steel wool I've ever used was brutal dish washing stuff
^^Yeah, the really light grade like 0000 is fine for the fretboard.

The dish washing ones would tear your fretboard up
http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/grunge/grunge_1.htm

I wouldn't use the Steel Wool every time you clean the board, otherwise you might get a nice scallop going. If you want to remove gunk, Dunlop 01 Fretboard Cleaner and Prep will do just that. It's basically just alcohol, which will lift the gunk so you can just wipe it off, but it will also dry out your board, so you'll have to oil it afterward.

As far as oil goes, I've had the best results using fret doctor. http://www.beafifer.com/boredoctor.htm My board stays darker for a lot longer compared to using lemon oil.
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
Last edited by lespaulrocks39 at Aug 17, 2009,
When I change strings I just wet down some paper towel sand fold them over to make a nice thick pad and scrub it off. It works fine for me. I would also wash your hands if they are very dirty before playing.
If you use lemon oil and steel wool I recommend doing it every other time you change strings. Because it can mess up your fretboard if you do it too much.
Where's Waldo?

yay
Quote by oneblackened

+1 to the #0000 Steel Wool. I use it every couple string changes. I have heard that lemon oil can damage your fretboard, so instead i use gunstock oil. You can get it at Walmart for like $2 in the sproting goods. When you oil a gun, you have the same goal as when you oil a fretboard, so it's a good bet it won't hurt the wood. I have been using this method for years. Just make sure you don't OVER oil the fretboard. You don't want the wood to feel wet when you touch it. It may feel a bit oily for a day or two, but after that, there should be no oily feeling or you've used too much. Just make sure to wipe off the extra after you apply it using a dry paper towel or somthing similar. Remember: you can't replace a fretboard, so the more caution you use, the better! You don't have to use these every string change, you'll have to be the judge of how often to use them. Depending on how dry or humid your climate is and how naturally oily your hands are, you may never have to oil, or you may have to oil every string change. It's just something that takes experience. Make sure when you use the wool that you go WITH the grain of the wood and not AGAINST it. That means you should be going with the length of the fretboard, so you should be wiping/scrubbing it going left and right with your headstock to your right and body of your guitar to your left, or vice-versa.

Quote by Boxxxed
Steel wool doesn't damage the fretboard? The only steel wool I've ever used was brutal dish washing stuff

No, this is very fine steel wool. 0000 is the finest grit available. It both cleans and polishes the wood.
Last edited by Blktiger0 at Aug 17, 2009,
Go easy with the lemon oil though, you don't want your fretboard soaking in it.
Les Paul Traditional '08
Fender American Strat '99
Martin D16
Peavey Classic 50 2x12
535 Crybaby-Whammy-Small Clone-DD7 Delay

"I have a very high EQ--something like 3,000 hertz. If I think too hard, my brain hertz." Harrison