i already have a pretty good funk/fusion sound and after i pick up my tubescreamer i'll have a really good jazz rock tones (i.e. john scofield, john mclaughlin, trey anastasio esque)
but im wondering what i could do to help get me a tone similar (not Exactly) to pat metheny's tone in the first minute or so of this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrgP1u5YWEg

any recommendations other than get a hollowbody or new amp, mainly im looking for a pedal, or something else whether it be a mod, or just a different eq setting.
try to keep it within $150-175 range

my current gear is Michael kelly valor custom (hum's with coil taps) <boss v-wah< vox ac15.
i have my AC15 eq's with the bass about 3'oclock, and treble around 9-10 o'clock, with a fair mix of reverb and a tiny bit of trem.
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
In the video is he even using a hollowbody guitar?
Jazz tone comes a lot from just reducing the treble and rolling back the tone a bit
I like using E335 guitars, such as an epiphone one, they're good
i find their tone sorta boring and mellow [compared to a strat, thats what i play mostly on]
and they're great for that jazz tone
cheers man
Turn your tone control down.

Also, did anyone else read the thread title as "how can I jizz up my sound more"?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Squirrel1993
In the video is he even using a hollowbody guitar?
Jazz tone comes a lot from just reducing the treble and rolling back the tone a bit
I like using E335 guitars, such as an epiphone one, they're good
i find their tone sorta boring and mellow [compared to a strat, thats what i play mostly on]
and they're great for that jazz tone
cheers man

im actually saving up money on the side for an ibanez hollow or semi hollow. the fact that im not using one might be the source of my problems. i have it eq'd to be bassier and get that darker jazz sound. i rarely every take it of the neck hum with the tone knob around 3-4
i dont know what it is
Quote by illuminatiano

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
1: reduce your highs.
this is the main component for a jazz tone. use you neck pickup, dial in more bass, roll back your tone knob, anything that will mellow out your sound.

2: more sustain.
raising you action will result in more sustain. this, IMO, is a big part of that warm, big jazz tone. you could also use a compressor, like Trey does.

EDIT: there are better alternatives to Ibanez for hollowbodies. Tokai makes a mean 335 copy. with Ibanez, you have to go higher end for their guitars. i find their lower priced guitars to be cheap feeling and dead sounding.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Aug 17, 2009,
Quote by Jhachey22
1: reduce your highs.
this is the main component for a jazz tone. use you neck pickup, dial in more bass, roll back your tone knob, anything that will mellow out your sound.

2: more sustain.
raising you action will result in more sustain. this, IMO, is a big part of that warm, big jazz tone. you could also use a compressor, like Trey does.

EDIT: there are better alternatives to Ibanez for hollowbodies. Tokai makes a mean 335 copy. with Ibanez, you have to go higher end for their guitars. i find their lower priced guitars to be cheap feeling and dead sounding.

im not going to buy one of their cheaper hollowbodies, i have the 150 to spend now, im planning to save up about 500-600 for a hollow.

i already do all of number 1.
but the compressor doesnt sound like a bad idea, maybe an mxr dyna comp or something. i was also thinking that with the tube screamer the mid hump it has could actually come to my advantage, i could use it more as a clean boost when i want a jazzier sound and cut the tone on it a good bit, the cut high's and the boosted mids would probably help.
Quote by illuminatiano

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
Quote by gnaraaron
im not going to buy one of their cheaper hollowbodies, i have the 150 to spend now, im planning to save up about 500-600 for a hollow.

i already do all of number 1.
but the compressor doesnt sound like a bad idea, maybe an mxr dyna comp or something. i was also thinking that with the tube screamer the mid hump it has could actually come to my advantage, i could use it more as a clean boost when i want a jazzier sound and cut the tone on it a good bit, the cut high's and the boosted mids would probably help.

if you're thinking of a TS9, i would get a modded one. with the gain all the way down, it still has quite a bit of bite to it. the TS808 is much cleaner in comparison. Trey Anastasio actually uses two Analogman modded TS9s. they're modde dwitht he 808 and Silver mods. Analogman makes pretty sick compressors, as well.

if you just want a mid hump, though, look into EQs.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by Jhachey22
if you're thinking of a TS9, i would get a modded one. with the gain all the way down, it still has quite a bit of bite to it. the TS808 is much cleaner in comparison. Trey Anastasio actually uses two Analogman modded TS9s. they're modde dwitht he 808 and Silver mods. Analogman makes pretty sick compressors, as well.

if you just want a mid hump, though, look into EQs.

im probably going to mod the ts9 later on anyways. i got to play one in store through an ac30(slightly different sounding, but still very close) and it was the tone i was looking for, with just enough drive to it, i could easily take care of any excess dirt with the volume knob.
and eq and a compressor are probably going to be what i'll pick up, im trying to hold off on a delay until the EHX memory toy comes out.

im guessing your a phish phan too? i would really love one of those languedoc(sp?) guitars trey has, but they're 10,000+
Quote by illuminatiano

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
Quote by gnaraaron
im probably going to mod the ts9 later on anyways. i got to play one in store through an ac30(slightly different sounding, but still very close) and it was the tone i was looking for, with just enough drive to it, i could easily take care of any excess dirt with the volume knob.
and eq and a compressor are probably going to be what i'll pick up, im trying to hold off on a delay until the EHX memory toy comes out.

im guessing your a phish phan too? i would really love one of those languedoc(sp?) guitars trey has, but they're 10,000+

yeah, i started listening to them a couple of years ago and they changed the way i thought music should be. Farmhouse and Junta will always be my favourite albums.

if you like languedoc guitars, you should check this out.
http://equatorinstruments.com/models.html
a guy makes clones for much cheaper. the standard is about $3,200 and the mini is $2,200.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by Jhachey22
yeah, i started listening to them a couple of years ago and they changed the way i thought music should be. Farmhouse and Junta will always be my favourite albums.

if you like languedoc guitars, you should check this out.
http://equatorinstruments.com/models.html
a guy makes clones for much cheaper. the standard is about $3,200 and the mini is $2,200.

i agree whole heartedly, billy breathes is really good, but i really want to get the new album they're putting out.

even the clones are just as much as a prs!
one day i would love to get a custom hollow, pretty much same specs as my michael kelly, just hollowbody. i've always seen the M.K as a fusion of the languedoc and prs (at least similar), but only 500 bucks, i was surprised to find a good ebony fretboard on a guitar that wasnt too pricey. i think mainly because michael kelly isnt a very big company yet, so their prices arent rediculous.
Quote by illuminatiano

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
Quote by gnaraaron
i agree whole heartedly, billy breathes is really good, but i really want to get the new album they're putting out.

even the clones are just as much as a prs!
one day i would love to get a custom hollow, pretty much same specs as my michael kelly, just hollowbody. i've always seen the M.K as a fusion of the languedoc and prs (at least similar), but only 500 bucks, i was surprised to find a good ebony fretboard on a guitar that wasnt too pricey. i think mainly because michael kelly isnt a very big company yet, so their prices arent rediculous.

usually, it's the opposite. bigger companies can afford to make chaper guitars, while smaller companies (Alembic, Languedoc, etc) make pricey as f*ck guitars

but i'd rather have a Mini than a PRS any day.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Aug 17, 2009,
Quote by Jhachey22
usually, it's the opposite. bigger companies can afford to make chaper guitars, while smaller companies (Alembic, Languedoc, etc) make pricey as f*ck guitars

but i'd rather have a Mini than a PRS any day.

i'd rather have them both, i mainly just want the prs hollowbody II, that guitar is beutiful, the solid bodys are nice, but i just have a feeling that im going to be going more for hollow's/semi's than solids in the future.
Quote by illuminatiano

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
Quote by gnaraaron
i'd rather have them both, i mainly just want the prs hollowbody II, that guitar is beutiful, the solid bodys are nice, but i just have a feeling that im going to be going more for hollow's/semi's than solids in the future.

i've had a big problem with PRS since my school got one of their SE models. i know it's not the same as a "real" PRS, but you judge a chain by the weakest link. maybe it was a fluke, i don't know. all i know is that this guitar was direct from the factory and the first time my school used it in concert, the strap buttons came OUT OF THE GUITAR. the strap did not slip, the buttons came right out. it fell on it's headstock and it cracked at the tuning pegs.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater