I want a pedal to go with my Peavey Valveking that can get a nice modern Metallica tone (Think St. Anger, Death Magnetic). Anyone know of any pedals that would sound good on a Peavey Valveking that can get this tone? Thanks!
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
buy an EQ pedal and you should be able to get the sound you want... i just dont understand why youd want to put a distortion pedal through a high gain tube amp.... especially for metallica you should be able to dial that right in
Pissing people off since 1987

ESP/LTD MH 401 Stop tail
ESP/LTD MH 401 Floyd Rose
IBANEZ AM93 TKS
Rivera KnuckleHead Reverb
ISP Decimator
MXR KFK-1 10 Band EQ
Yeah I guess it just sounded kind of muddy. Maybe what I need is an EQ pedal and a speaker change.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
What's your budget?

Quote by arthurt420
buy an EQ pedal and you should be able to get the sound you want... i just dont understand why youd want to put a distortion pedal through a high gain tube amp.... especially for metallica you should be able to dial that right in
Because the Valveking's distortion isn't to be overly admired. Using the clean channel along with a distortion pedal may be able to offer you a nicer tone.
i wouldnt say that valveking is that high gain
Originally Posted by Twist of fate
I thought the "clean" button was to clean out the inside of the amp automatically, so I never pressed it.

Originally Posted by DjBrandenburg
pedals are stupid
Quote by AngryGoldfish
What's your budget?

Because the Valveking's distortion isn't to be overly admired. Using the clean channel along with a distortion pedal may be able to offer you a nicer tone.

My budget would probably be around $250.

Yeah the distortion is perfect for some of my lower gain stuff but not for the heavier stuff. It gets pretty muddy.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
Crowther Audio Hotcake, Fulltone OCD, Blackstar HT-Dist, MI Audio Crunch Box, Vox Satchurator, Mad Professor Mighty Red Distortion Pedal, Keeley DS-1 Modified.
Quote by AngryGoldfish
Crowther Audio Hotcake, Fulltone OCD, Blackstar HT-Dist, MI Audio Crunch Box, Vox Satchurator, Mad Professor Mighty Red Distortion Pedal, Keeley DS-1 Modified.

Add the Radial Tonebone Hot british to that list
I could get pretty close with my valveking.. But your talking, ESP guitar with emgs, tube and speaker upgrade, multiple valveking tricks, modded od pedal, eq pedal and noise gate.
DON'T LISTEN TO ANYONE! If you want good Metallica tone, it comes from the amp. James says that pedals are stupid and Kirk only uses thing like a wah or a tube screamer. You got a great amp, but for $250 get a man o war speaker, new preamp tubes, and an mxr ten band EQ and you'll never want to use a pedal ever again!
Originally Posted by Spachula
So my band recently played our first gig, and it actually went great. There was only one problem though....
My band is pissed at me now for wearing a banana costume while I performed.

Quote by DjBrandenburg
DON'T LISTEN TO ANYONE! If you want good Metallica tone, it comes from the amp. James says that pedals are stupid and Kirk only uses thing like a wah or a tube screamer. You got a great amp, but for $250 get a man o war speaker, new preamp tubes, and an mxr ten band EQ and you'll never want to use a pedal ever again!

Kirk Hammet on the Radial Tonebone Hot British:

“This box is very deserving of the word 'hot' – I definitely love my Bone !!”
Quote by DjBrandenburg

and oh, that's right, we have to listen to you over anybody else because you know that metallica use their Diezel VH4's over stomp boxes. Thumbs up, mate.
pedals are stupid

lolwut
i am going to sig that
Originally Posted by Twist of fate
I thought the "clean" button was to clean out the inside of the amp automatically, so I never pressed it.

Originally Posted by DjBrandenburg
pedals are stupid
Quote by DjBrandenburg

First off James used a distortion pedal for everything in the 80's. The only reason he doesn't use them anymore is because he is able to afford amps that sound absolutely amazing on their own.

The VK's drive channel is very muddy and lifeless, even after the upgrades that you mentioned. It is an amp thats geared more toward blues rock type stuff, not metal.

Also, Kirk Hammett uses a Tonebones Hot British distortion for the majority of his lead playing.

TS: I think you are better off looking into the pedals that Angrygoldfish listed rather than upgrading your amp. The VK is honestly not the metal machine that everyone tries to turn it into.
Quote by Regensgeliebte
lolwut
i am going to sig that

alright, your the ****ing dumb ass, I never said that. I said James prefers (NOW) to plug directly into the amp, and that kirk uses some british pedal and a tube screamer.
Originally Posted by Spachula
So my band recently played our first gig, and it actually went great. There was only one problem though....
My band is pissed at me now for wearing a banana costume while I performed.

Quote by DjBrandenburg

hihihi... silly 09'ers. an EQ counts as a pedal unless it's rackmounted, right?

to clear up up the dirty channel, i would suggest a treble booster or an OD. the treble booster help clear out some of the muddiness, but an OD would be more versatile. with $250, you could get a really nice EQ and an OD/TB.

the speaker swap would be a good idea as well and you'll need to swap out those tubes eventually anyways, so look into that route. if possible, find someone who has already done these mods so you can judge for yourself if it's worth it.

there are tons of guys on here who have VKs and have modded them. listen to their clipz.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Aug 17, 2009,
Quote by DjBrandenburg

Haha... the gain level of the VK will be hard pressed to approach the MetallicA tone.

If anyone on this thread who is qualified to use the "DON'T LISTEN TO ANYONE" phrase, it would be IP or Jhachey22 based on the advise they have given in prior threads.

However, the speaker swap would greatly improve tone, where as preamp tubes which clip earlier would also help contribute towards the Met tone. Nonetheless, the gain structure of the VK will still be lacking.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Aug 17, 2009,
Quote by KTHXBAI
Whats an EQ pdeal?
An EQ pedal is an audio controller that allows the user to see graphically and control individually a number of different frequency bands.
Basically, you have the ability to tamper with the tone parameters of your amp if you use the pedal in either the effects loop or in front of the amp in the chain.

Quote by ragingkitty
If anyone on this thread who is qualified to use the "DON'T LISTEN TO ANYONE" phrase, it would be IP or Jhachey22 based on the advise they have given in prior threads.
I'd say that it's not fair for anyone to say it.
Quote by ragingkitty

Quote by AngryGoldfish
I'd say that it's not fair for anyone to say it.

Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
An EQ and speaker swap will do miles for the VK, but there's even more mods that one can do (such as the OT swap, and adding a bias pot, the R100 mod) which aren't that well-known because only a couple of VK users have done those. You should PM Cap47 for info, or check out the VK thread.

I find I can get close but not exact to the Metallica tone (especially when the amp is turned up) and am thinking I need new preamp tubes, after I've put an EQ and speaker swap in the loop already.

Jhachey's recommendation of a treble booster may be something to consider; the VK's distortion is pretty dark and you might find yourself reaching to crank the treble up on the amp. I know I do.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Aug 18, 2009,
Quote by Sguit
Add the Radial Tonebone Hot british to that list

This. Kirk uses them in his rig
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Maybe get a treble booster and put it at the input to reduce mud in the distortion stage, and then have an eq in the effects loop
krank distortus maximus maybe
the tonebone hot british is nice but wont give you a metallica tone, i know i have one
and the tonebone is not a part of kirks live rig
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
i'd jsut suggest a 10 band EQ and a tubescreamer or maxon od808 just to tighten it up abit
then do th speaker swap and tube change later
Well tbh the Peavey Valveking's distortion is quite nice if you add a Tube Screamer (or any decent overdrive pedal) before it, for extra gain. Combine that with an EQ pedal and you should be able to get a decent tone.

EDIT: Saw the previous post, nevermind.
Quote by DjBrandenburg

James used pedals in the 80's and I have seen pics of his live pedal board. He uses delays eq overdrives. Most of his stuff Is from the amps and rack processors