I am finally going to buy a wah pedal.
i have narrowed it down to either a crybaby wah or a vox wah.
i want that srv/hendrix tone, any suggestions on which one to get?
Quote by Richmanofaction
Didn't Hendrix use a Dunlop crybaby??

I'm pretty sure SRV used a Vox Wah
There is at least one Hendrix signature Dunlop Crybaby out there.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Yes Hendrix has his own signature model. Im pretty sure it's Dunlop that makes it. Great sounding wah.
Quote by Richmanofaction
Didn't Hendrix use a Dunlop crybaby??

No dunlop didnt make the wah pedal he used as far as i can remember,correct me if im wrong,his cry baby's are copys of the circuitry of the Thomas Organ he used
My Gig Rig...

Fender Straocaster or Gibson Les Paul Slash Special -->Lovepedal Amp 50 --> Boss DD-3 --> Crybaby(soon to be Wh10 reissue) --> Big Muff PI --> Boss DS-2 --> Marshall JCM 900
Quote by ChiliFan01
No dunlop didnt make the wah pedal he used as far as i can remember,correct me if im wrong,his cry baby's are copys of the circuitry of the Thomas Organ he used

Hmm - interesting- never knew that

Did you try a Bad Horsey II??? They are pretty nasty wah pedals
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
Quote by Richmanofaction
Hmm - interesting- never knew that

Did you try a Bad Horsey II??? They are pretty nasty wah pedals

Yeah,iv tried one,they aren't great for what i play so im not a great fan,but they work for some people so... yeah im not a fan but that my opinion
My Gig Rig...

Fender Straocaster or Gibson Les Paul Slash Special -->Lovepedal Amp 50 --> Boss DD-3 --> Crybaby(soon to be Wh10 reissue) --> Big Muff PI --> Boss DS-2 --> Marshall JCM 900
ha word- the Dunlop is looking better and better for you my friend
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
Yeah get a crybaby,but get the GCB-95F or the Crybaby Classic
My Gig Rig...

what does the fasel inductor do??
and how does the gcb95 original sound compared to the classic gcb95f with the fasel
all wah`s achieve there effect by using a inductor, the fasel is just a early type to give the vintage wah sound (simplest explaination without giving a electronics lesson)

if you open up a wah pedal the inductor looks like a gumdrop
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Aug 17, 2009,
if u have a bottomless wallet i suggest aFulltone Clyde deluxe but the dunlop 535q is also nice.
I have the dunlop crybaby 535q, it's awesome!!! Defintely good for hendrix, but it has different settings and knobs to make it sound like any wah, great versatility!!!
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.

RHCP

LED ZEP

HENDRIX

Hail SYD BARRETT
Unless you can get the MiA VOX V748 get the Crybaby. I can only find the MiC VOX V847a.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
535Q is pretty good.Can be a little bit harsh at times but it can be controlled.The little red volume boost isn't that great though.Add a certain naisalleyness to it.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Quote by MoAhRaCrUaS
YEah im goin with the GCB95 original
thanks!

Great choice
Guitars
08 Schecter C-1 Lefty
06 Epiphone LP Standard Lefty
90 Dean ml custom Lefty
84 Kramer Beretta lefty

Marshall Vs 100h
Crate Blue Voodoo 120h
Marshall 1960a cab
Boss Me70
now im not sure. is it worth the extra $20 to get the fasel inductor in the gcb95f?or is the 535q that much better than both
Last edited by MoAhRaCrUaS at Aug 18, 2009,
Quote by MoAhRaCrUaS
I am finally going to buy a wah pedal.
i have narrowed it down to either a crybaby wah or a vox wah.
i want that srv/hendrix tone, any suggestions on which one to get?

I know for a fact Hendrix used a Vox. Dunlop did not at any point make his wah pedal during the time that he was alive and playing. I'm not sure about SRV, but I'm sure he used a Vox also.

Just get a Vox, a lot of greats use them.
I've got a Crybaby Classic, but for you, get a Vox, both Hendrix and SRV used 'em.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
the only difference i could find between the vox v847 and the v 847A is that the a is the reissue. is this correct? I couldnt find a straight answer that said that but just reading the infos gave me the idea.
I bought the vox v847A.
I tried them(V and crybaby. out side by side and the vox had better sound, but when i brought it home it sounded funny. It doesnt have a gradual sweep, it sort of jumps right in the middle all of a sudden and i dont have much control. its wierd. and it sounds muted when the wah is not on.
I bought it at guitar center, do you think they will let me return just because i dont like the sound?
Last edited by MoAhRaCrUaS at Aug 18, 2009,
Quote by MoAhRaCrUaS
I bought the vox v847A.
I tried them(V and crybaby. out side by side and the vox had better sound, but when i brought it home it sounded funny. It doesnt have a gradual sweep, it sort of jumps right in the middle all of a sudden and i dont have much control. its wierd. and it sounds muted when the wah is not on.
I bought it at guitar center, do you think they will let me return just because i dont like the sound?

does this happen most when you have overdrive on?
this is why i referred to all of the wah's mentioned in this thread as 'toys'
although in all honesty i've never tried a vox v847A
Quote by MLilienthal
does this happen most when you have overdrive on?
this is why i referred to all of the wah's mentioned in this thread as 'toys'
although in all honesty i've never tried a vox v847A

nah both. i fixed the problem though. i had the guitar going to the wah, to the distortion to the amp. then i switched it to the guitar into distortion, into the wah, into the amp and it sounds much better
I've owned a fair amount of wahs and honestly the plain old Vox V847 is about the best for anything but extremely high gain.
yeah, i turned the pedal down as low as it can go and it sounded pretty good, but like i said it sounded alot better when i switched the order.. i play alot of SRV, and classic music so i dont really need much distortionanyway
Last edited by MoAhRaCrUaS at Aug 19, 2009,
Quote by FallsDownStairs
I know for a fact Hendrix used a Vox. Dunlop did not at any point make his wah pedal during the time that he was alive and playing. I'm not sure about SRV, but I'm sure he used a Vox also.

Just get a Vox, a lot of greats use them.

Nope,he used a Thomas Organ Wah Which is what all the dunlop Hendrix wahs are based on
My Gig Rig...

He used a Vox, dude. Nowhere I can find on the internet says otherwise. No point in arguing over something stupid.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Quote by MoAhRaCrUaS

thats SRV not Hendrix
My Gig Rig...

If you look at the front plate on this,it says original Thomas Design,it is a reference to the Thomas Organ Whas That hendrix used.

Thomas Organ/Warwick Electronics made the circuitry for the first wah pedal which was then put into the housing of a Vox Continental Organ volume pedal. This is why many people think it was a vox made pedal that Hendrix Used.
My Gig Rig...

Last edited by ChiliFan01 at Aug 21, 2009,
I had an original Clyde McCoy Vox from the 1960s.

I bought a reissue Vox 847 and it didn't sound good and sucked my tone when it was off.

I found a page that gave some mids for it and figured I would give it a try. Made it true bypass and bought about 2 bucks worth of resistors from radio shack. Experimented with the values and for about 2 hours on a rainy Saturday got that thing sounding much better then my old wah, which I sold.

There are a few simple mods for the Vox and Crybaby - check these out, making these true bypass and changing a couple simple things can give you an awesome wah for short money - my Vox was $40.00 used and $10 for the bypass switch and about $2.0 in resistors.

I could have done the work quicker - maybe 45 mins - but I got into it and changed things and changed them back to get exactly what I wanted.

I was planning on changing the inductor but it sounds so good there is no reason to.

Just search 'Crybaby Mods' or 'Vox 847 Mods' - you cut a wire, change a resistor or two and put in a new switch.