Recently I've started focusing on ear training because I think it will make me a much better musician. I've completely weaned myself off tabs but I can still only play simple melodies like things that everyone knows like here comes the bride and saints go marching in and stuff like that. i've been using the ear training software at trainear.com but i have trouble figuring out songs by ear and its impossible for me to do chords by ear even though i tried that whole thing with following the bassline. i've been practicing this for maybe two months now. any advice/exercises/personal anecdotes about ear training would be deeply appreciated. thanks in advance
IDK, maybe, listen "harder." Listen to the first note in the song and try all over the fretboard until you find the EXACT sound, not close EXACT. A keep it clean. Start with single melody songs.
Throw your guitar out of tune and then learn to tune it with one reference note. You can take any note and put it in relative standard tuning if need be. In other words, tune the A string to 440 Hz from a reference note online and then tune the rest using harmonics. This should be an explanation of how to do so:
http://www.get-tuned.com/harmonics.php
Quote by amin17
Recently I've started focusing on ear training because I think it will make me a much better musician. I've completely weaned myself off tabs but I can still only play simple melodies like things that everyone knows like here comes the bride and saints go marching in and stuff like that. i've been using the ear training software at trainear.com but i have trouble figuring out songs by ear and its impossible for me to do chords by ear even though i tried that whole thing with following the bassline. i've been practicing this for maybe two months now. any advice/exercises/personal anecdotes about ear training would be deeply appreciated. thanks in advance

add 1-2 years and you'll be able to do it.
<--- Craig: Guy With Best Username Ever
Quote by Primus2112
\m/[-_-]\m/

lulz, best name ever.

Quote by herby190
TS, your username is really difficult to type, so I'm just going to refer to you as Craig from now on. Okay? Okay.