Page 1 of 2
being a total noob and after practising some basic chords and simple riffs the last couple weeks I realize I have a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG way to go and think Im gonna return my amp and really just focus on chords, power chords, progressions, reading notation, tablature, general picking and strumming technique and be able to play some basic solos and full songs. My question is how far can i go without an amp and still be fun? I want to get a nice tube amp after i reach my above goals
el cheapo gear but it works
Last edited by SKOOBEY at Aug 17, 2009,
whats the point in returning the amp??? set it to clean and its basicly the same thing just louder :S
Quote by Archieisted
whats the point in returning the amp??? set it to clean and its basicly the same thing just louder :S

yeah...
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
You don't need an amp to play guitar, but it definitley makes it funner/easier.

Most of what I know I learned from figuring out songs on my ipod. That's fun and alot easier to do with an amp.

Plus, technique is only half of knowing how to play guitar, You also need to learn how/why different guitars/amps sound like they sound.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
i still fail to see how getting rid of your amp will help u learn? the amp doesnt make playing any harder or easier unless its broken
I have a 1.5 year old son and the amp makes finding practise time a ***** because of the noise. I need to be able to just pick the guitar when he goes to bed at night and plug away on the basics
no point in that.... just play , its boring to play guitar if it is not amplified. And as the guy sayed you can just put it in clean.
Quote by SKOOBEY
I have a 1.5 year old son and the amp makes finding practise time a ***** because of the noise. I need to be able to just pick the guitar when he goes to bed at night and plug away on the basics

buy a set of headphones???
Quote by Archieisted
i still fail to see how getting rid of your amp will help u learn? the amp doesnt make playing any harder or easier unless its broken

well then keep the amp turned down? or just dont plug into it? no need to sell it!
Or... Sell all your gear and get a nice acoustic. Learn some John Mayer.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
the amp is fine but I can put 140 bucks back in my pocket for a tube amp when i can actually play the guitar. right now, im still working on forming (finger strength and accuracy) and remembering the first few basic open chords
Quote by SKOOBEY
the amp is fine but I can put 140 bucks back in my pocket for a tube amp when i can actually play the guitar. right now, im still working on forming (finger strength and accuracy) and remembering the first few basic open chords

Backs up my idea to buy an acoustic. Thicker strings help build up finger strength, and when you do go back to electric, it'll be alot easier.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
some people have told me to practise without an amp as Im really working on the basic fundamentals. my 30 day return period at GC is running out next week and I just want to know how far i can go without being plugged in? thanks
I don't have an amp myself yet.... embarassingly because I have no money to buy one yet ^^'' but I'm pretty happy playing without one for now, until I got the money. It's a bonus that I'll be more skilled by that time, too!

But yeah, don't retun it, just keep it until you think it's right to use it again.. it's your choice really.
Quote by SKOOBEY
some people have told me to practise without an amp as Im really working on the basic fundamentals. my 30 day return period at GC is running out next week and I just want to know how far i can go without being plugged in? thanks

your question doesnt really make sense, there is no limit to how far u can go but it sounds better with an amp and if u wanna play metal u need disto and stuff only amps give u. There is no point selling your amp
Quote by biga29
Backs up my idea to buy an acoustic. Thicker strings help build up finger strength, and when you do go back to electric, it'll be alot easier.

I thought about it but i don't have the cash to buy another guitar right now. I want to learn as much as I can on the yamaha I've got allready got
Quote by SKOOBEY

Bring the amp back and get a $50 Vox Amplug. You just pop in your headphones, as well as your backing track or CD if need be, and then play silently and still get some pretty sweet sounds out of it. And then if you feel the need to blast the sound every once in awhile you can just plug in some computer speakers or a surround sound system to the headphone port and crank it. That way you have roughly $100 bucks back in your pocket, a quiet alternative to an amp, still get the great sounds of an amp, and can crank it at anytime if you have speakers handy. I just got a new tube amp but I still use my Amplug AC30 for quiet playing and while I'm traveling.

EDIT:
Guy playing the Classic Rock Amplug on his surround system
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUhCvDP8Nls

Guy playing the AC30 version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCoH63nVepk

Demo of Metal, Classic Rock, and AC30 versions on a PA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeRU9Qn1Vp8
Last edited by mattvl at Aug 17, 2009,
Quote by biga29

Random Hero approves of this statement.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by SKOOBEY

You can go as far as YOU can get yourself to. If you dont want the amp, you should of bought an acoustic.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
no point in that.... just play , its boring to play guitar if it is not amplified. And as the guy sayed you can just put it in clean.
Quote by Archieisted
your question doesnt really make sense, there is no limit to how far u can go but it sounds better with an amp and if u wanna play metal u need disto and stuff only amps give u. There is no point selling your amp

of course I know it will sound better with an amp but the point im trying to make is I dont think i need an amp now because I can't even shape my fingers yet to form basic chords comfortably. I am a total begginer and would rather play unplugged while im learning (if I can hear myself well enough) and put the 140 in my pocket for the tube amp I want to get in a year or so.
Quote by ricv2106

Read the whole thread, the dude has a Kid, he can't play or loud.

Quote by randomhero93
Random Hero approves of this statement.

Biga29 approves of this statment.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
basically I want to use my electric as a quiet acoustic (if possible) so I can practise at night (baby in house) until I have all the guitar playing basics down and then put the 140 back towards a good low wattage tube amp
i say go for it. you won't lose anything by returning the amp in the 30 day period, and if you decide you absolutely HATE playing without an amp you could go back and have the same $140 to spend to get it back. you really wouldn't lose anything except maybe a week or two without an amp if you change your mind.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
thats what I was thinkin. I don't need an amp to work on chords, progression, picking and strumming. Imo, It should still be possible to learn riffs and songs without the amp because a lot of people do it that way
Quote by LifeIsABullet16
i say go for it. you won't lose anything by returning the amp in the 30 day period, and if you decide you absolutely HATE playing without an amp you could go back and have the same $140 to spend to get it back. you really wouldn't lose anything except maybe a week or two without an amp if you change your mind.

actually I put it on clean and barely turn it on when I practise because of my son sleeping and sometime even thats too loud right now
when your ready to get a tube amp then sell your existing one, i think your just embarassed about others hearing you, don`t let it bother you as said previously play clean and if you are embarassed use a headphone amp when your going through mundane exercises, you`ll be at a total loss when you get good but can`t translate it into what comes out of a amp, i`ve seen it happen before....
SKOOBEY --

Two things were said here that I highly agree with .

The remark on getting an acoustic. That's a great idea. I approve of that statement

The comment on getting a vox amplug. I have one and I tell you, this is the best for late night jamming. It has an attached 1/4 jack to plug directly in your guitar, plug the headphones in and you can even plug your mp3 player into the aux input to jam out to your favorite bands or some backing tracks. Not just for late night, but for quiet time. And you save the $100 that you can put away for your future amp purchases.
that seems like the way to go for shure. I cant return the guitar because i scractched the crap out the the body with my belt buckle but I can return the microcube. what descent vox amplug would you recommend getting and what headphones. I would like to be able to put some money away for better gear when i have the fundamentals down and can actually play something besides smoke on the water.
Quote by ibanezgod1973
when your ready to get a tube amp then sell your existing one, i think your just embarassed about others hearing you, don`t let it bother you as said previously play clean and if you are embarassed use a headphone amp when your going through mundane exercises, you`ll be at a total loss when you get good but can`t translate it into what comes out of a amp, i`ve seen it happen before....

I only have time to practice at night and my son goes to bed at 7:00 pm right now which makes using an amp a nono to the wife
Quote by ibanezgod1973

will it be hard to make the transition from a headphone amp to a tube amp?
no it won`t, just need to learn how to set your tone and they`re not as fiddly as all these amp modellers.

as far as i know the vox amplugs are really cheap and come in 3 variants, you might want to consider a multi-effects unit with a headphone socket (thats what i use when i get 3am inspiration) that way you have access to all the effects and can still play through headphones without the need for the amp. then when your ready to play loud you can use the multi-effects in conjunction with the amp.
Quote by biga29

I approve of this message.

Honestly I can't stand practicing on my electric. Its boring. Give me an acoustic to jam on any day
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by ibanezgod1973
no it won`t, just need to learn how to set your tone and they`re not as fiddly as all these amp modellers.

as far as i know the vox amplugs are really cheap and come in 3 variants, you might want to consider a multi-effects unit with a headphone socket (thats what i use when i get 3am inspiration) that way you have access to all the effects and can still play through headphones without the need for the amp. then when your ready to play loud you can use the multi-effects in conjunction with the amp.

in that link I provided in a new thread above which model would that be?
There are plenty of devices that you can get to plug your guitar into, and some headphones and get some great sounds. Try the Pocket pod. Works great.
Definitely get rid, but replace it with a Vox amplug or pocket pod - that way you can still get some decent sounds through headphones.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by SKOOBEY
My question is how far can i go without an amp and still be fun?

Not very far, I'd imagine. How about if someone wants to jam with you? You'd either be completely dependent on their gear or screwed and unable to play. Both options sound quite uninviting. Even if it's just a crappy practice amp, keep it. You could always plug your guitar into your computer, but it'd sound terrible. Even a cheap amp is better than none; think of it as a long-term investment. Also, if it's that cheap, then it shouldn't affect your finances that much.
Get a pocket pod. Granted it will take all but 10 dollars of the money you get back, but its a solid investment for practice purposes. I have one and late night jamming and its a wonderful little unit for what its designed for, and if you do end up jamming with some friends in the long run, it can but hooked up to some speakers or run through an amp and work that way as well.
My name is Collin, please feel free to use it

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/pickgnomehu nters/

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

this is absolutely, 100% correct.
For example, Dave Mustaine has a signature coffee mix.

Good Morning, Black Coffee?
Page 1 of 2