Edit: My problem was I wasn't setting it up right. Instead of using the outer screws to hold the tension the STRINGS were holding all of it, Causing the strings to be held under intense tension. As soon as I set the bridge up properly the string breakage stopped and the strings tuned easily.

Original post:

I recently bought a Stetsbar T style model. I have been trying to set it up but the doggone thing seems to be eating up my High Es like no tomorrow. Yesterday I went through FIVE High Es and I don't even have it set up properly yet. I broke another High E today while stringing back to pitch. What the heck am I doing wrong?! I'm using .9 D'Addrios. I was going to set the tension of the Stetsbar until this string broke. And no, I didn't go through ANY other strings - Just the .9s. All of the other strings are from the second set! If anyone has advice that would be greatly appreciated. Oh, They seem to break near the tuners (Edit: BRIDGE) mostly.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Last edited by Gargoyle2500 at Sep 25, 2009,
Check for sharp points on the bridge and your nut.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
check the nut for rough spots and also check the tuner head for burs as well.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
The strings don't break by the nut or tuners, it turns out. All of them break by the bridge. II don't think it is a sharp point that is suspect, The string seems to unwind from the ball end. I found the ball end of my most recently broken string and there wasn't any string on it at all.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Last edited by Gargoyle2500 at Aug 17, 2009,
I had a Stetsbar too, the model for Les Pauls. It broke seven high E strings in two days. Just like you, they all break at the bridge itself, with the wire being cut around the ball end.

Even when the strings weren't broken, it never stayed in tune and it murdered the sustain worse than a Floyd Rose does.

Suffice to say, my Stetsbar is currently sitting at the bottom of the River Avon.

The thing is, they only need to change two things to make the Stetsbar work perfectly: change the saddles to roller saddles, and put less pressure on the ball end of the strings. That's all they'd need to do to fix it.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Aug 17, 2009,
Thats what I thought was wrong. Also, I found out tuning is a bitch with the Stetsbar. You have to spend a long time tuning it over and over and take care to always tune the lower strings first so you don't put extra tension on the higher strings. Do you think tinning the ball ends would help? I just got the thing for my birthday a few days ago and I don't want to tell my dad we got a lemon.

Edit: Make that seven strings so far, I just broke another one while trying to get to pitch.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Last edited by Gargoyle2500 at Aug 17, 2009,
Quote by Gargoyle2500
I just got the thing for my birthday a few days ago and I don't want to tell my dad we got a lemon.
Honestly, it's not just you being unlucky. When I had trouble with mine I asked around, and it sounds like the vast majority of people have problems with them. I only wish I'd asked around and researched more before buying one.

Honestly, I don't expect any kind of reinforcement will stop the strings from breaking. One guy on the TDPRI Telecaster forums had it snap a .42 low E string. If they can break that, they'll get through nearly anything.

It's sad, because the idea of the Stetsbar is great and it sounds like it should be good in all the advertising and stuff, but the fact of the matter is that they're not well made, they're not well designed and very, very few people get them working at all, let alone working well.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Sigh.

Now all I can do is wait to get more strings (And maybe some truss rod wrenches since I've lost them) And see. If I don't like it I might have to sell it and get some other bridge or save up for another Tele.
Always tin your strings.

_____

if i were you i would get rid of the damn thing. try to return it? mabye if you tell them its defective they would take it back.
I might just tune to eb and use a capo. It does make my guitar sound different, The standard one is made out of brass and the saddles were crap on the standard bridge. I don't know if I'll keep it of leave it yet, I only just got the opportunity to really play it today. breaking so many strings does leave me pissed but perhaps if I don't string it up all the way it won't happen so often. Besides, it only happens after I detune the string and retune it several times. Time will tell.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Last edited by Gargoyle2500 at Aug 18, 2009,
I talked with Eric Stets again. He told me I might have a bad batch of strings and suggested tinning them. I forgot to say I don't have the Stetsbar set up properly just yet but I asked if I should adjust the tension. He said I shouldn't have to, However keep in mind I didn't say I had it set up properly. The outer screws aren't even touching the plate in this configuration. I don't even have the intonation set properly because the bridge is too far back, I'll be able to fix that with a few adjustments though and that may also reduce string breakage.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Last edited by Gargoyle2500 at Aug 18, 2009,
I found out what I was doing wrong. Yes, I said what I was doing wrong. Here it is in black and white:

Instead of adjusting the outer screws to push against the bridge (To hold it in place) I looked past that and just strung up. This caused the strings to pull the bridge, Causing the strings to be held under extreme tension even two steps under standard tuning. As soon as I adjusted the outer screws to push against the bridge (Taking the tension off the strings) The tuning was much easier and I didn't have to worry.

Now that I think about how I had it set up before I'm surprised the High Es were the only ones that broke. It wasn't just the High E, Every string was pulling the bridge.
Always tin your strings.

_____