Okay, so I recently gained control of a boss overdrive pedal and would like to know if this is enough to get a good gain sound out of, then I could spend remaining dime on a tube amp with good cleans even though distortion isn't so good. Would this be enough to get a good metal sound? And if it is, should I get a Fender?
Or just look for a tube amp with good cleans and a reasonable amount of gain/decent distortion channel. How much have you got to spend? Overdrive pedals alone won't get you into "high gain" territory, but I guess it depends on what kind of metal you are referring to.
an overdrive pedal will only drive the tubes harder, and they usually dont color ur tone too much, so if ur amps overdrive sounds bad the pedal wont help it too much. also, just an overdrive pedal on a clean amp definately wont get u into metal territory, ul need to use the OD on top of the amps distortion
Gear

Guitar:
Squier Strat

Amp:
Fender Roc Pro 1000 Half Stack

Pedals:
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Digitech Cool Cat Chorus
Yeah as someone said the pedal on its own wont get you into metal territory. I recently bought a small Laney Tube amp (LC 15) and it didn't have enouph gain for old metal. I eventually bought a Ibanez Tube King Distortion pedal to get me to that Metal Territory by putting the level on fulll and it still sounds sweet. But i don't know if the OD would get you to metal territory even if pushing the amp, on my set up i tried a Boss OD and it was barely enouph for old metal like Iron Maiden. Its ok if you crank the amp though but then its maybe too loud.
Nope. SD-1 is not gainy at all and it sounds like crap. Get an amp with good cleans AND distortion like a mesa DC. That's why I have mine. Great cleans and heavy ass metal distortion.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Ok, there is almost 0 useable, accurate information in this thread so far. Hopefully I can change that...

An overdrive pedal has gain built into it, it is not just to push the tubes harder, that is a clean boost, which many people use an OD for as well. Your question cannot accurately be answered without knowing what OD pedal, what amp, and what you consider 'metal.' The SD-1 will definitely get you into AC/DC and 80s metal territory, but definitely not anything modern.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by yjeezy45
Let's say a VK and the SD-1, and enough distortion to do Pantera

why don't you try it yourself and stop asking people who don't have what you have and don't know exactly what kind of tone you want?

UG can be, at best, slightly to not at all helpful to you. You have the gear, so go use it.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Wow, apak, you've stooped to new levels of stupidity. Obviously I'm not asking how something sounds if I've got it in my basement, you dumbass!

Anyways, I'm asking about the VK because I'm looking into it and the only thing I don't like a bout it is the distortion, and since I already have a pedal, I was asking if I should get that or get a new amp with good gains.
Quote by wicket_nirvana
an overdrive pedal will only drive the tubes harder, and they usually dont color ur tone too much, so if ur amps overdrive sounds bad the pedal wont help it too much. also, just an overdrive pedal on a clean amp definately wont get u into metal territory, ul need to use the OD on top of the amps distortion

You're worng there, overdrives CAN boost your signal, thus pushing your tubes harder but all they really are are mild distortion pedals. OD pedals simulate the sound of a pushed amp and push your amp at the same time.
***Short Sig***
If its for home use then I say go with a Blackstar HT-5 and possibly an OD if you need a bit more gain.

If its for gigging and you're on the cheap side look into companies like B-52 and Bugera. If you have a large budget look into the big name companies like Peavey, Marshall, Mesa, etc.

What is your budget and what tone are you trying to achieve, exactly?
Gigging on the cheap side.
Looking for a warmness to my heavy tone, not just jagged but thick and chunky
A B-52 AT head or combo or a Bugera 6260/333 would probably be better for you.
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet