Just bought a GK 1001RB II head. I KNOW this is too powerful for my Ampeg SVT 15E cab, but I bought it anyway because I got a deal that would be stupid to pass up.
My question is, if I slapped the GK on top of the 15 AND an Ampeg SVT 410HE, would everything round out? Or should I start looking for a different head/cab?

[Specs:
SVT 15E - 8 Ohm cab - 200 watts RMS, 400 watts program
SVT 410HE - 8 Ohm Cab - 500 watts RMS
1001RB II - Pushes 700 watts @ 4Ohms, 460 watts at 8 ohms]

I can understand how ohm ratings work, but power handling Ive yet to fully understand.

Thanks for any help

EDIT: Updated head specs
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia
Last edited by bassmanjoe08 at Aug 17, 2009,
that is pushing it quite a bit :S i would be very careful about that, cos if the amp clips and peaks, the speakers MIGHT get damaged...
Whats the ohms on the head, the wattage is fine though.
Edit I checked the ohms and its 4 ohms. So that will be fine. For ohms thinking of them halving each other so to 8 ohms will be add to 4 ohms,
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Last edited by alternitivebass at Aug 17, 2009,
Unless you play with the gain and master volume cranked to 10 all the time, you won't have problems. You'd have to push more than 700w to damage those cabs in that setup. As long as the amp puts out 700 @ 4 ohms. But I'm sure you've already confirmed that.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
Don't do it!!!!

Both cabs have the same impedance (resistance, basically), so both cabs will be receiving equal servings of the amp's power. That happens to be 350W per cab, so the 15" is in danger here.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Aug 17, 2009,
Quote by Mutant Corn
Don't do it!!!!

Both cabs have the same impedance (resistance, basically), so both cabs will be receiving equal servings of the amp's power. That happens to be 350W per cab, so the 15" is in danger here.

good point i was thinking the cabs were equal wattage dont listen to my above post
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Team Lime Green!
Quote by Mutant Corn
Don't do it!!!!

i dont think thats true. cant remember why tho.
Quote by jb_reborn

It's true.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by jb_reborn

Sense both the cabs are pushing 8ohms they will receive equal wattage, it would be different if one was 8 ohms and another was say 4 ohms.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Team Lime Green!
Yeah, you would be pushing 350 watts into a 200 watt head which is quite a bit too much, even if you don't push it too much. What you could do however, is just put it through the 410 for now and buy a second cab later if you wanted.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Yeah, you would be pushing 350 watts into a 200 watt cab which is quite a bit too much, even if you don't push it too much. What you could do however, is just put it through the 410 for now and buy a second cab later if you wanted.

Fixed, lol.

But yeah...what he said.
Nope, no sig here.
Actually I believe the 1001rb pushes 375W into 8 ohm cabs. Working on confirming, hang on...

EDIT: Can't open Adobe files, but I'm pretty sure 375 is right.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Last edited by Cody_Grey102 at Aug 17, 2009,
460W @ 8 ohms, 700W @4 ohms...

So, what Im gathering here, using the 1x15 in ANY setup with this head is a no-no?
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay

FUK

Thanks Bales

Now the hunt for someone who will trade cabs...
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay

FUK

yup yup, finding a different 15 would be my advice, because i too love the gk heads so trade off your 15 when you can and get a 410
And in case anyone is wondering about the "deal" I got on the head:

I bought this lovely $900 head for a cool $450. (CAD)
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay

FUK

you'll be pushing 375watts at 8ohms, so your cabs will be fine. a 4x10 and a 1x15 should sound great with that amp. your 1x15 by itself probably sounds pretty good. just don't over crank it. too much power is less dangerous to speakers than not enough power.
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
you'll be pushing 375watts at 8ohms, so your cabs will be fine. a 4x10 and a 1x15 should sound great with that amp. your 1x15 by itself probably sounds pretty good. just don't over crank it. too much power is less dangerous to speakers than not enough power.

I'm not 100% but I really doubt this
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by 83lespaulstudio

It pushes 460watts @ 8ohms, Rick.
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay

FUK

Quote by gilly_90
I'm not 100% but I really doubt this

You're right, you can't underpower a cab. It's a very old myth that has been proven wrong many times over. It came from people trying to get more power out of their amps, and sending them into clipping. A 200W head can easily put out 600W, possibly 800, if you drive it hard enough. People didn't understand that though...they'd assume that since their 200W head blew up their 400W cab, they must have underpowered it.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Aug 18, 2009,
you don't underpower speakers. you overdrive an under powered amp to blow speakers. an amp will distort the signal(overdrive) when you get into the top 75% of it's max. so i say, a 200w amp will blow a 400w speaker easier than a 400w amp will blow a 200w speaker. too much power is a good thing.
Okay so...
Keep in mind the 15" is 200 RMS, 400 Program... with the head pushing 460 watts into it.

I take it 60 watts over the program handling is still bad?
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay

FUK

I'm pretty sure the 460 watts is RMS too- meaning that it peaks higher as well. So I think you're still 260 over.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Okay so...
Keep in mind the 15" is 200 RMS, 400 Program... with the head pushing 460 watts into it.

I take it 60 watts over the program handling is still bad?

the 460 is at max output, i say as long as you don't over crank it, you should be fine.
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
you don't underpower speakers. you overdrive an under powered amp to blow speakers. an amp will distort the signal(overdrive) when you get into the top 75% of it's max. so i say, a 200w amp will blow a 400w speaker easier than a 400w amp will blow a 200w speaker. too much power is a good thing.

Didn't we just say the same thing? The distortion, i.e. clipping, makes the lower powered amp put out more power than it's rated at...the same reason tube amps appear to be louder watt-for-watt. That said, I'm sure a 400W amp will blow the 200W cab a lot faster...you'd have to really push the 200W amp to get it up over 400W. I'm Talking, SS amps, btw...not tube. I wouldn't want to play a SS amp that was clipping at 75% of its RMS...
Nope, no sig here.
Go and read matching amps and speakers in the columns. You should assume that both speakers get the same power (half the total or 350W) if they are both 8ohms.

An amp will obviously only put out its full power if you have it fully driven if you have it turned down or play a quiet note it will be giving out less power. In normal playing the difference between the loudest and quietest notes will easily be 20dB which is 100:1 in power terms. This means that unless you drive your amp up to distortion then you will be delivering a lot less than its rated power.

When transistor amps distort they sound horrid. The reason for having a several hundred watt amp is to avoid ever reaching this level. Your average power will be a fraction of your peak power and a few milliseconds of peak power won't damage your speakers. This is why many bassists go for the maximum amp output and don't worry too much about a slightly underpowered speaker. Most 200W speakers will handle 400W peaks for a few seconds anyway. The RMS rating is usually measured over a few hours of continuous power.

What you should do depends upon your attitude to replacing speakers. If you use a 200W speaker with a 400W amp and you don't play at high levels of distortion then you probably will be fine for years. If you do this though there are no guarantees and if you get into a volume war with the rest of the band you might blow the speaker if you run at distorted volume levels. I hope this explains why you are getting conflicting advice.
The 15", alone, will have no problem handling the 1001RBII as long as you stay below half the power of the amp or a third to be safe.

As for driving BOTH the 15" and 4x10", the 1001RBII manual explicitely says:

One 4 Ohm and one 8 Ohm together is not recommended.

So you're on your own.

Keep in mind though that when driving both cabs, the 4x10 with it's 400 watts at 8 ohm will sound noticeably louder than the 15" cab with it's 200 watts at 8 ohms..
Last edited by ColdGin at Aug 19, 2009,
The two cabs are 8ohm. Not one 4 and one 8. It will not go into the 2ohm sector.

Even together, there will be no problem, if you below half the power of the amp.

You can't really assume based on the wattage and ohmage.

You need to let your ears be the judge.
TS, if you're worried, hit the decibel pad button. It next to the tuning mute button.

Just so you know, its a seriously sweet amp. I gigged with one last night, with a GK SBX 410 and a RBH 115. The sound engineer kept on saying that he has never heard something that loud. I had it up about a third of the way, with the pad button pushed in

Just play it through the 410 for the time being. Thats what i do for jamming, it sounds good enough. Missing a little of the 15" boom, but its still nice. Start saving for a nice 115.