hey guys, im learning constructing minor and major chords and im getting pretty confused. so major chords are made out of a root note, a major 3rd and a perfect 5th.
So for c major, i get the three notes C, E, and G. But my problem is that isnt a c major chord played with the three notes C, E, and C? why is this?

edit: im realizing this problem might be for every traid ?? why is the damn D chord D-F-A, but when i play a D chord its F# - D - A? why are they all different? please help me out, im sooo lost right now
Last edited by Loldemonwar at Aug 17, 2009,
A C major triad is indeed C, E and G.
C, E and C would just be a a C major diad with an octave on top.
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane
Chord is a very loose term because there are so many variations. A chord can have many different notes but the standard chord i guess would be the root, 3rd, 5th and octave. But not limited to that.
Quote by axethrower13
But you only die once, so you may as well experience it to the fullest.

Quote by ozzyismetal
Get her a goat. Bitches love goats.

Quote by Weaponxclaws
Plus, naturally I scream satanic rituals while unleashing the demon. It's a marvelous resurrection.
whoa. where are you seeing that a D chord is F# D A?

A D chord is D F A in the key of C major. It is a Dm chord.

For that matter where are you seeing a C major chord as only C and E?

A chord is three or more notes played at the same time. Usually that will take form of a triad consisting of stacked thirds (root, third, fifth (a third above a third)). So yes, C E G is a C major chord.
Вяєҭҭ
ZeGuitarist's sister is hawt.
?)
im using Zeguitarist's lessons to try to understand this.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/the_guide_to/the_ultimate_guide_to_guitar_chapter_ii_3_chords_-_basic_chord_progressions.html

he says The C Major chord is constructed of the notes C, E and G. the problem im having is that when i play a C major chord, isnt it made out of C E C?
Last edited by Loldemonwar at Aug 17, 2009,
Quote by Loldemonwar
edit: im realizing this problem might be for every traid ?? why is the damn D chord D-F-A, but when i play a D chord its F# - D - A? why are they all different? please help me out, im sooo lost right now

F is a minor third above D, so D F A is a D minor triad.

D F# A is a D major triad (F# is a major third above D).
A D major chord consists of the notes D F# and A.
A C major chord consists of the notes C E and G.
C and E on their own is called a C major diad because the lack of a fifth. Even though it isn't technically a chord, it still has the root and the major third which is the main components of a major chord.
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

- John Coltrane
You need to realize that the C-major scale is built from a certain pattern.

C - D - E - F - G - A - B - C

The intervals between the notes are (T=Tone, ST=Semi tone): T-T-ST-T-T-T-ST (Also known as the Ionian mode, but it's not relevant in your case)

So if you start at D instead C, still keeping the same intervals between the notes you have:

D - E - F# - G - A - B - C - D

Root: D
Major third: F#
Perfect fifth: A

Never forget the interval: T-T-ST-T-T-T-ST (The Ionian mode also known as the major scale)

It hope this explaination is easily understood.
Last edited by Rallymonkey at Aug 17, 2009,
Quote by Loldemonwar
im using Zeguitarist's lessons to try to understand this.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/the_guide_to/the_ultimate_guide_to_guitar_chapter_ii_3_chords_-_basic_chord_progressions.html

he says The C Major chord is constructed of the notes C, E and G. the problem im having is that when i play a C major chord, isnt it made out of C E C?

What do you mean by "made out of"? Where are you getting that? The C major triad contains the notes C E G.
thanks a lott for the replies guys. i know how to construct the traid and get the notes, but i dont really understand why it works that way. you see, lets say i constructed the c major traid,i get the notes C E G, but when i play a c major chord on guitar, the notes used are C - E - C. im sorta getting it now, but that c major part is still confusing me a lot.
when i said made out of i meant when i play a c major chord, the notes involved are C E and C but on a c major traid their C E G
Could you tab out this C major chord you are talking about?
Quote by thsrayas

- John Coltrane
The notes you are refering to are the notes you are fretting while playing a C major chord. You are forgetting that you are also playing the open strings g and e.

So the most common open C major chord is C-E-G-C-E when you are strumming. It is okay to repeat notes while forming chords on the guitar.
It seems your playing these chords on your guitar, the notes in a chord can be any order, E G C E G C is a C chord, as is C E G C E G
A C major chord does not only have the notes C E C.
For example here's an open C chord of the 3rd fret of the A string:
E ---0---
B ---1---
G ---0---
D ---2---
A ---3---
E ---x---

The notes starting on the A string are C, E, G, C, E.

On the 8th fret of the E string:
E ---8
B ---8
G ---9
D ---10
A ---10
E ---8

C, G, C, E, G, C.

I'm not sure where you're seeing C chords with only C E C, but I can guarantee you if the chord only contains those two notes it is not a C chord.

EDIT: Beaten to the punch >_>
As the others suggested you are most likely playing an open C chord, which contains a G. If not you are playing a C major diad with an added octav on top.
Quote by thsrayas

- John Coltrane
oh ya, ****, sorry about that, forgot about the open strings. thanks for a bunch for the replies. so is a constructed c major chord with the root note, major third, and perfect 5th always going to be just C E G, or can it also be C E G C and C E G C E?
Quote by Loldemonwar
oh ya, ****, sorry about that, forgot about the open strings. thanks for a bunch for the replies. so is a constructed c major chord with the root note, major third, and perfect 5th always going to be just C E G, or can it also be C E G C and C E G C E?

The order of the notes other than the the bass makes no difference.
As long as it contains those notes it's a C chord. On guitar you'd usually double some notes to utilize more strings.
Quote by thsrayas

- John Coltrane
Yes, it doesn't matter if there are two or three Cs in the chord voicing as long as you only use C, E and G when playing your C major chord.

Check out the CAGED chord theory.
ah, thanks so much everybody, i got such a head ache from this. damn, i suck at theory lol, thanks a lot guys!