Ok, so i've had a MIA deluxe strat for about a year and a half now and for a good 90% of the time, the bridge has been locked down so that it's not floating. recently, since i've gotten better at soloing and writing music, i wanted it set back to floating...so i just did that.

now that i've down that though, the action seems a good bit easier. as in, it's a heck of a lot easier to make bends. is that all in my head? or by raising the bridge did i some how affect the scale length in way to reduce string tension and make bends easier?

thanks for any help!

Sam
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Raising or lowering the bridge will affect the action, if that's what you're asking. You should be able to change the action without changing the nature of the bridge itself, though.

Also, changing the action only affects the scale length very slightly, the relative ease of lower action is because your fingers don't have to press down as hard.
Well you may have softened the tension, but the action should get higher I beieve. Although it would make sense for it to be slightly easier, but I am too not completley certain.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
When the bridge is floating, the guitar sometimes feels a little squishy or spongey because when you bend a string, the bridge is moving with you. It's probably easier to bend the string, but you probably have to bend it further to get to pitch.
ok, well the bridge was raised (obviously since it's now sitting about an 1/8 inch off the body, so that would explain that then. because my action is defintely softer now. it's a nice little side affect of having a floating bridge i guess yay! now i don't need a guitar with a different scale length to get softer action!

EDIT: ah, yea i'm noticing what your talking about Metalhead...hm so i guess there goes that advantage lol...oh well!
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Last edited by bored_maniac33 at Aug 17, 2009,
Quote by bored_maniac33
ok, well the bridge was raised (obviously since it's now sitting about an 1/8 inch off the body, so that would explain that then. because my action is defintely softer now. it's a nice little side affect of having a floating bridge i guess yay! now i don't need a guitar with a different scale length to get softer action!

EDIT: ah, yea i'm noticing what your talking about Metalhead...hm so i guess there goes that advantage lol...oh well!

And unison bends will be harder to keep in tune for sure!
Quote by Metalhead_28
And unison bends will be harder to keep in tune for sure!

well, thankfully i won be doing that too much lol
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional