Hey guys, I recently got a Fender Competition Mustang, and I want to get a new pick up for the bridge. I was thinking a single coil sized humbucker would be best. I play a lot of punk (so I'm going to need to palm mute a lot, and humbuckers are good for that.), alternative, rock, and a bit of everything else, except for country, bluegrass, and metal. I'd also want it to be able to make a good clean sound, like completely clean, not all all dirty, for that nice clean alternative sound. But it also needs some punch when used with distortion/overdrive, and when it's palm muted. I also like some twang, but not too much, I don't want it to sound country. Any suggestions?

Thanks guys.
Last edited by Fender1424 at Aug 17, 2009,
Quote by WantsLesPaul
I would have say'd Seymour Duncan SH-8 Invader (I have them ) or SD SH-6 Distortion, But they're normal size humbuckers :/

Edit: Someone recommended Seymour Duncan SHR-1 Hot Rails for punk tone, Check them out.

Ah well normal humbuckers are no good.

Ooh I like that one. I listened to a sound sample of it. I'm liking the sound.

But it sounded a little dirty when I listened to the clean playing. I sure hope it can get a full clean tone as well. And it also seemed kind of like a metal pickup from what I've read.
Quote by WantsLesPaul
I would have say'd Seymour Duncan SH-8 Invader (I have them ) or SD SH-6 Distortion, But they're normal size humbuckers :/

Edit: Someone recommended Seymour Duncan SHR-1 Hot Rails for punk tone, Check them out.

invaders are kinda high output for punk and alt. tom delonge does use them and blink 182 is close to your style, so i guess they will be alright.l the sh-6's should work well. maybe a SD '59...
Save Gibson

^Do it, if you want Gibson to stop with the poor QC and terrible new guitars...
Quote by a7xsteve
invaders are kinda high output for punk and alt. tom delonge does use them and blink 182 is close to your style, so i guess they will be alright.l the sh-6's should work well. maybe a SD '59...

Yeah, but a full sized humbucker won't fit in a Mustang. Unless of course it was modded, but I don't want to do that to this one.
Quote by Fender1424
Yeah, but a full sized humbucker won't fit in a Mustang. Unless of course it was modded, but I don't want to do that to this one.

oh sorry. so you would want a stacked single coil

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seymour-Duncan-SHR1-Hot-Rail-Stacked-Single-Coil-Pickup?sku=300300

that...

or this
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seymour-Duncan-JB-Jr-Pickup?sku=300500

or this
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seymour-Duncan-SCR1-Cool-Rails-Pickup?sku=300160

any of those should be good.
Save Gibson

^Do it, if you want Gibson to stop with the poor QC and terrible new guitars...
Quote by a7xsteve

The first one seems pretty good, but it may be too heavy for my tastes. I don't know if it'll sound good clean. And I think it lacks twang.

The second seems pretty cool, but from the reviews it looks like it lacks twang, and someone said it isn't good for the bridge, which is what I'm looking for.

The third one seems okay, I guess. But some people said it was flat.

But thanks for the suggestions
I pm'd you back. but honestly dont get one expecting a tried and true humbucker sound from it. imo they sound kinda similar but they just arent the same, more of an inbetween single coil and humbucker sound. (comparing to my 1970 sg custom)
What's up with everyone suggesting duncans on this site??? Does seymour own this site? Hahaha....try dimarzios!!!

But anyway yeah put some kid of stacked hb in there cause if ur using other guitars with humbuckers this guitar will sound like poop...if u've ever had a chance to see the nirvana rio show from 93 u will agree...when kurt switched between his jaguar with hbs and his competion mustang it went from huge to icepick!!!lol

Good look just don't tear into that guitar man its very collectable
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think