Does anyone have any suggestions for challenging, fun to play metal songs? It's always such a let down to search through my songs and always find the same old root pumping bass lines, and I'm looking for something a bit more entertaining to play

(inb4 "Necrophagist - Only Ash Remains")

My examples:
Annihilator - Dr. Psycho
Pantera - Shattered
Lamb of God - Redneck

And so on....
Last edited by NyM_KalaHi at Aug 17, 2009,
I cum blood.

No, seriously. Cannibal Corpse is good for interesting bass if Death Metal's your thing, same with Obscura. If not, Iron Maiden, Tool, Later Death are all good places to look.

stratkat
I don't know about challenging, but most Metallica up through Master of Puppets is a blast to play.
Nope, no sig here.
Thanks for the fast response.

I'm into all sub-genres of metal, from the most brutal death metal to power metal, to industrial metal, and everything in between.

I love cannibal corpse, i've never tried playing any of their stuff though, maybe ill work on some of that stuff :]

Mastodon's fun too. I like playing the song crystal skull a lot :]
Quote by NyM_KalaHi
Does anyone have any suggestions for challenging, fun to play metal songs? It's always such a let down to search through my songs and always find the same old root pumping bass lines, and I'm looking for something a bit more entertaining to play

(inb4 "Necrophagist - Only Ash Remains")

My examples:
Annihilator - Dr. Psycho
Pantera - Shattered
Lamb of God - Redneck

And so on....

Anything by Mudvayne, particularly Dig.
Quote by Spaz91
Anything by Mudvayne, particularly Dig.

Dig is quite challenging, because it stands out from standard metal bass work. Ryan's slaptastic verses can be difficult to those who have been playing other metal stuff. I don't mean to deter the TS away from it, but try doing death blooms or Not falling by Mudvayne first to understand how Ryan works his verses then try Dig.

So...
1. Happy?
2. Death Blooms
3. Not Falling
4. Dig
5. Internal Primates forever.

other artist's work...
1. mastodon
2. Breaking Benjamin
Duck

Bass tones are hard to find.
My Band
Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 360
Madison MAB 4x10
Warwick Thumb BO 5
Try a few opeth tunes. can't think of many specific songs....try some songs off of the Ghost Reveries album
Quote by Oneirogenic
Try a few opeth tunes. can't think of many specific songs....try some songs off of the Ghost Reveries album

Bleak, Windowpane, The Grand Conjuration and The Drapery Falls in particular.
signature
Quote by Bullet-Rule
Bleak, Windowpane, The Grand Conjuration and The Drapery Falls in particular.

The whole Morningrise album has good bass aswell, even though it's a different bass player.

Some other crazy metal bass lines that come to mind are:

Spiral Architect - Insect
Cynic - The eagle nature, Veil of maya(anything off Focus really)
Atheist - and the psychic saw, mother man, air, piece of time
Obscura - cosmogenesis
Quo Vadis - silence calls the storm
Blotted Science - Synaptic plasticity
if your looking for a good sit down of a few hours playing the same 4 bars over and over again just to get another 30 secs into the song accomplished look up protest the hero

iv only been learning their newwer stuff but its definatly chanllenging
the simpler ones id say try spoils first and sequoia throne for tapping runs like 3 note per sting scale patterns

or palms read and the disentience for good tapping chords

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Quote by DosMos
pulling teeth

I love that.
Very classical influenced..

I won't say it...

I won't...

RIP Cliff
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Songs I've learned recently

Make them Suffer - Cannibal Corpse
Sequoia Throne - PTH (Not really metal but still fun to play)
Extreme Unction - Necrophagist (The first bar is probably the hardest in the whole song)
Flogging the Horses - SikTH

+1 to Synaptic plasticity, if you can figure it out!
Quote by Sylvanus
The whole Morningrise album has good bass aswell, even though it's a different bass player.

Some other crazy metal bass lines that come to mind are:

Spiral Architect - Insect
Cynic - The eagle nature, Veil of maya(anything off Focus really)
Atheist - and the psychic saw, mother man, air, piece of time
Obscura - cosmogenesis
Quo Vadis - silence calls the storm
Blotted Science - Synaptic plasticity

Bah, you took my list.

Death has some good basslines, too. Try "Spirit Crusher," always a fun one that the fingering for takes some getting used to.
megadeth - holy wars (well, pretty much any megadeth song, no boring root notes there!)
lamb of god - reclamation
lamb of god - 11th hour
lamb of god - blacken the cursed sun
lamb of god - descending
lamb of god - again we will rise
children of bodom - are you dead yet

you see a theme? i love lamb of god, and their basslines are ****ing complex
One thing I'll always suggest other than learning basslines note for note, it can always be fun listening to a complex metal song and writing your own complex bassline to go with it, that's something I do for a bit of practice in writing and in technicality, as some really technically bands sadly do have bassists that mostly follow roots and don't branch out.
try some protest the hero they arent exactly metal but they have freaking sick bass
Telecaster bass :
FINALLY PLAYABLE!
[x]body
[x]neck
[x]humbucker
[x]jazz pup
[x]split p pups
[x]hardware
[x]bridge
[x]pickguard
[ ]finish/paint
[x]wiring/electronics
Quote by budget bassist

you see a theme? i love lamb of god, and their basslines are ****ing complex

Campbell follows the guitar too much. Not all that entertaining.

Try some modern Dream Theater. Constant Motion is challenging and rewarding. There's a complex intro and a couple of huge grooves in the middle. Metallica's tricky stuff is cool. Blackened is pretty fun, so is fight fire with fire.
Also, not sure if anyone brought this up, but Frantic Disembowelment? Which is just like... yeah. For more Webster, try Laser Lobotomy by Blotted Science.

Even if Campbell follows the guitars at times, he's pretty solid IMO.
Death is good...
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.
Quote by Hammerzeit
Campbell follows the guitar too much. Not all that entertaining.

Even so, some of the bass lines are very difficult, mostly because the guitar is pretty intense too.
Quote by Steve08
Mother Man by Atheist? Not an easy song for sure.

That is a great great song.
Quote by NyM_KalaHi
Thanks for the fast response.

I'm into all sub-genres of metal, from the most brutal death metal to power metal, to industrial metal, and everything in between.

I love cannibal corpse, i've never tried playing any of their stuff though, maybe ill work on some of that stuff :]

Mastodon's fun too. I like playing the song crystal skull a lot :]

crystal skull is a good stuff man. perhaps give dream theater a try?
I'm with Dream Theater here. New album is more "metal", older stuff is a bit more interesting IMO.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Protest The Hero for sure. Everyone keeps saying they aren't metal and they definitely are they just aren't a super heavy metal band
Ibanez GRG170DX
Marshall MG30DFX
Some Fender amp
And some Fender acoustic