Page 1 of 2
ok, so i just spent all my money on a new guitar - the Ibanez RGT6EX FX. I originally wanted it in the new green/blue chameleon finish, but I got the black one instead because i could get it for a lower price at the shop.

now the thing is, it was supposed to be in full mahogany, but it appears that the black version is basswood. which disappoints me.

so this, UG, is my question:

Should i keep my new basswood guitar or should i return it and spend a little extra for the mahogany version?

btw, i dont mind the extra weight of the mahogany version.
Ibanez RGT6EXFX -> Ibanez TS9 -> Korg Pitchblack -> Peavey 5150 II head -> Mesa Rectifier 2x12 cab
well i dont think they will sound terribly different but go try an all mahogonay version and if you think it sounds better then return it and get that one. but in my opinion no, the money saved would probably be more worth it to me if its anything above 50 dollars.
well the difference is the sound. play the two through the same amp, same settings, and see which sounds better to you. if you like the blue/green cham. finish one more, and are willing to spend the extra, do it. its probably not much of a difference anyway...

EDIT: damn, beaten to it..
Save Gibson

^Do it, if you want Gibson to stop with the poor QC and terrible new guitars...
Owning both basswood and mahogany guitars, I can vouch there is quite a difference to my ears. To me, mahogany sounds much more fuller and bassier than basswood. I was looking into buying the black one, I would love to own it.
Fender American Select Strat HSS Antique Burst
Fender American Select Strat HSS Transparent Crimson
Fender American Deluxe Strat
PRS Custom 24 USA
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Parker PDF100
The question is: Which one's sound do you like the best?
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
I own both mahogany and basswood guitars.

I find mahogany to be warmer and deeper and well rounded in tone, and basswood as more acoustic in playing unplugged with it being more of a "neutral" tone, allowing the electronics to shine through.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
i personally prefer basswood. if you're a tone-freak you'll already know which you'd prefer. the question is; if you hadn't read somewhere that the black version wasn't mahogany, would you have known at all? if the answer is no, you never would have noticed the difference in tone, then i say stick with what you've got.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
thanks for all your answers.

well, they didnt have the blue one in that particular shop, but i tried it in another shop once, and it felt a lot more comfortable with a heavy guitar (as far as i remember, that is.) - but i still have my stock .9 strings, and i usually play with .12s, so that may be why it feels weird.

Soundwise i don't really know. I tried the mahogany one on a Randall Kirk Hammet Half stack (the cheap one), and i remember that i thought it sounded completely awesome.

If i go for mahogany i would have to get the tremolo version (since they dont have the chameleon) and im not very sure about that.
Ibanez RGT6EXFX -> Ibanez TS9 -> Korg Pitchblack -> Peavey 5150 II head -> Mesa Rectifier 2x12 cab
Quote by LifeIsABullet16
i personally prefer basswood. if you're a tone-freak you'll already know which you'd prefer. the question is; if you hadn't read somewhere that the black version wasn't mahogany, would you have known at all? if the answer is no, you never would have noticed the difference in tone, then i say stick with what you've got.

those were exactly my thoughts. but i want to know what im missing out on.
Quote by ibanezgod1973
should of checked the specs before you handed over the cash

+1
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Myles Kennedy: And why's that Mark?

Mark Tremonti:....I have trust issues with the sound guy

Selling a Marshall DSL401!
Quote by ibanezgod1973
should of checked the specs before you handed over the cash

there were no stickers or info on it, and you would think that a two guitars with the exact same model name but different paint job would have the same specs ..

i had been looking at the chameleon one for months when i saw that i could get the black one ~200$ cheaper.
Quote by Eskil Rask
there were no stickers or info on it, and you would think that a two guitars with the exact same model name but different paint job would have the same specs ..

i had been looking at the chameleon one for months when i saw that i could get the black one ~200$ cheaper.

you should of asked for the specs or consulted the ibby website or catalogue then
Quote by Eskil Rask
thanks for all your answers.

well, they didnt have the blue one in that particular shop, but i tried it in another shop once, and it felt a lot more comfortable with a heavy guitar (as far as i remember, that is.) - but i still have my stock .9 strings, and i usually play with .12s, so that may be why it feels weird.

Soundwise i don't really know. I tried the mahogany one on a Randall Kirk Hammet Half stack (the cheap one), and i remember that i thought it sounded completely awesome.

If i go for mahogany i would have to get the tremolo version (since they dont have the chameleon) and im not very sure about that.

you sure the mahogany one has a tremelo? these guitars are fixed bridge ...
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by ShoeFactory
get the mahogany

mahogany sounds so much fuller in comparison.

^crap. I'm not even going to bother explaining why, you're just wrong.

Its been said already but, if you liked the tone before you knew, and you wouldn't have noticed, then don't take it back!

Basswood isn't a bad wood at all. Most of the top end ibanez shred types are basswood because its a really good, light weight yet equally neutral sounding guitar. Its easy to EQ and very versatile.
Quote by supergerbil
^crap. I'm not even going to bother explaining why, you're just wrong.

I can vouch for him. I own BOTH a high end mahogany guitar, and a higher end basswood guitar. There is a difference, and mahogany does sound fuller in my opinion.

Nothing wrong with either. My main guitar is the prestige Ibanez. Its basswood, I love it. But, I also love the sound of my strat, which is mahogany. but I dont take it out much.
PRS Custom 24 USA
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Parker PDF100
Quote by CkY freak
I can vouch for him. I own BOTH a high end mahogany guitar, and a higher end basswood guitar. There is a difference, and mahogany does sound fuller in my opinion.

Nothing wrong with either. My main guitar is the prestige Ibanez. Its basswood, I love it. But, I also love the sound of my strat, which is mahogany. but I dont take it out much.

Still an opinion. While it might be a little fuller, its because it has more bottom end. However all 5 of my mahogany guitars sound muddier compared to the basswood ones because of this. I'd take a basswood body or alder guitar any day over a mahogany one. But its just my preference not everyone elses
Quote by CkY freak

So, I guess the two guitars you're comparing both have the same pickups, hardware, body mass and shape? If not then you cant really compare them.

Of course mahogany has a warmer tone, but its nothing to do with fulness. And TS had no problem til he read the specs. Now he's making up problems because of the bad view he has of basswood due to posts like this.
Very similar shape and size. Yes. Same pickups, nope. The mahogany has stock fender pickups. Which we all know have a huge fat sound! And hardware, one has black and one has chrome. Maybe thats my problem! That freakin black hardware really makes the guitar sound thinner. Maybe you dont know this because you're playing through a $400 strat, and Im playing through a $1400 strat. There is a fuller sound. Maybe invest into something thats not made in mexico and you'll notice. You can say what you want. I can tell you what it IS because I own higher end versions of both types of wood.
PRS Custom 24 USA
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Parker PDF100
Quote by CkY freak
Very similar shape and size. Yes. Same pickups, nope. The mahogany has stock fender pickups. Which we all know have a huge fat sound! And hardware, one has black and one has chrome. Maybe thats my problem! That freakin black hardware really makes the guitar sound thinner. Maybe you dont know this because you're playing through a $400 strat, and Im playing through a $1400 strat. There is a fuller sound. Maybe invest into something thats not made in mexico and you'll notice. You can say what you want. I can tell you what it IS because I own higher end versions of both types of wood.

Excuse me, but what rhe hell are you talking about?

There's differences- mahogany has a fuller sound and more low-end, whereas basswood is more tonally neutral- it's a matter of personal preference.
I heard that the grades of are much more divided than other woods. A decent piece of basswood is much harder to find than other woods. There's also a big tonal difference in the grades. That's why basswood is mainly used for low-end and high-end guitars. You may be better off getting the mahogany but no one can tell you what you want. I do have to admit that it seems like you're only doing it based your impressions of basswood instead of your ears. Some notable basswood players are EVH, Gilbert, Vai, Satch, and Petrucci. Decide with your ears. Basswood is a great wood in the right hands. I do have to admit that it does take a good guitarist to get the most out of it. It's easy to make it bad, but when it sounds good, it's really good. Spend some time with it and work on your technique to really make it shine. I find that it's so neutral that a lot of the tone comes from your fingers and pick.

Mahogany may be better for you, maybe not. Play what you mainly play on both of them through the same amp and see which you like better. I personally don't like mahogany but you might. The kind of wood doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is how it sounds for the music you play.
Let it stand that the guitar is equipped with EMGs, so the tonal change wont be insane if he does go for the Mahogany one
My name is Collin, please feel free to use it

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/pickgnomehu nters/

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

this is absolutely, 100% correct.
For example, Dave Mustaine has a signature coffee mix.

Good Morning, Black Coffee?
Quote by mexican_shred
you sure the mahogany one has a tremelo? these guitars are fixed bridge ...

yes. the RGT6EX FX is the fixed bridge version of the RGTEX. So i guess i'd have to get the tremolo version if i want mahogany.
Quote by Eskil Rask
yes. the RGT6EX FX is the fixed bridge version of the RGTEX. So i guess i'd have to get the tremolo version if i want mahogany.

That means they are completely different models.

IMO stay clear of the one with the Trem. Shoddy Edge III. Not worth it for wanting it to be mahogany out of pure whim
Quote by Eskil Rask

May I ask why exactly you believe your current guitar is made from basswood? The ibanez site says its made of a maple/walnut neck with mahogany wings. Would they not mention that there was a basswood model on the site?

http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-RGT6EXFX
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Last edited by Slanderous666 at Aug 18, 2009,
I'm sorry but did you say you saved $200 by buying the basswood or did I misread that?? I mean... seriously if everything else is the same are you really willing to spend that much money just for the wood? I know its important, but there is a lot more to tone than the wood and if you never would have known the difference anyways, what is the point? Try it with the strings you like and then if you dont like it get a different guitar. But dont shell out $200 extra just for the type of wood.
Gear:
Fender Classic Series 50's Strat
Vox VT15 amp
Bongos

Quote by BillyRamone
Looks like Harry Potter about to fly an old biplane. A lady killer, but the ladies cannot figure out which state he's from - Indiana, or Pennsylvania?
Owns the under 5'2" hotties.
Quote by JTBach
I'm sorry but did you say you saved $200 by buying the basswood or did I misread that?? I mean... seriously if everything else is the same are you really willing to spend that much money just for the wood? I know its important, but there is a lot more to tone than the wood and if you never would have known the difference anyways, what is the point? Try it with the strings you like and then if you dont like it get a different guitar. But dont shell out $200 extra just for the type of wood.

Something isnt right here, how often is there a model with the exact same name and comes in 2 different types of woods with a 200$ price difference no less?
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
yeah I'm thinking they are different but similar models. the biggest thing wrong here IMO is that he was actually considering spending $200 for just a different wood...
Gear:
Fender Classic Series 50's Strat
Vox VT15 amp
Bongos

Quote by BillyRamone
Looks like Harry Potter about to fly an old biplane. A lady killer, but the ladies cannot figure out which state he's from - Indiana, or Pennsylvania?
Owns the under 5'2" hotties.
Quote by JTBach
yeah I'm thinking they are different but similar models. the biggest thing wrong here IMO is that he was actually considering spending $200 for just a different wood...

I would agree, that and I really think ibanez would list something like this on their site or atleast change the name enough so that people could properly tell them apart. Ibanez lists the same guitar in black with the same specs.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by CkY freak

Black paint make the guitar sound thinner!? Seriously, what are you on about!?

Are you trying to criticize my gear? I've had a les paul standard in the past and sold the thing to fund my build, and get my Strat + parts. I think my old $2000 is more expensive than your $1400 guitar

You also think you know more about guitars than me because you have a more expensive strat? Let me tell you, it'd cost you alot more than $1400 to get the guitar I made myself. The specs of that would blow your $1400 guitar away. $1400 is only less than £900. Take a look at the link in my sig to see my build. Then come and insult my gear.

Oh and having a go at my MIM strat purely because it is MIM is stupid.

Sorry to spam up your thread TS, but this guy was talking crap that might misinform you and others who require valid information.
Last edited by supergerbil at Aug 18, 2009,
Ok, so it seems I am completely misinformed regarding wood types and that mahogany isn't as good as people tend to think. or what?

I guess I'm just gonna have to try the guitar with a new set of string. hopefully that's what's bugging me.
Its not that its not good. Its just that people see mahogany on expensive guitars and automatically assume since its on expensive guitars it must be good, which isnt the case. On expensive guitar does not automatically equal that its the best around. Mahogany is a fine wood, but when it comes to the best sounding wood its all preference. For example for me i find mahogany to be get a little too muddy sometimes compared to basswood, but this just means i have to EQ my amp differently for different body wood guitars
Quote by Eskil Rask
Ok, so it seems I am completely misinformed regarding wood types and that mahogany isn't as good as people tend to think. or what?

I guess I'm just gonna have to try the guitar with a new set of string. hopefully that's what's bugging me.

Can you please tell us why you think your guitar is made of basswood?
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by Slanderous666
Can you please tell us why you think your guitar is made of basswood?

well, first of all, it feels very light weight - about the same weight as my Agathis ESP Explorer.

Secondly most of the reviews on harmony central said it was basswood.
Plus the tremolo version was a lot heavier at the shop.
This might help clear some confusion
http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eg_page09.php?area_id=3&data_id=542&color=CL01&year=2009&cat_id=1&series_id=221

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eg_page09.php?area_id=3&data_id=556&color=CL01&year=2009&cat_id=1&series_id=223

http://ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-RGT6EXFX

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG120-Eletric-Guitar?sku=518870

Compare all the links and see the body and where the site is from. might clear some confusion

All in all since both are neck through with X body wings, EMGs are going to sound similar in either or. The mahogany one is just going to sound a tiny bad darker

You'd be surprised at the weight of a tremelo but i think the weight might be the body this time after looking at those links
Quote by mexican_shred
This might help clear some confusion
http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eg_page09.php?area_id=3&data_id=542&color=CL01&year=2009&cat_id=1&series_id=221

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eg_page09.php?area_id=3&data_id=556&color=CL01&year=2009&cat_id=1&series_id=223

http://ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-RGT6EXFX

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG120-Eletric-Guitar?sku=518870

Compare all the links and see the body and where the site is from. might clear some confusion

All in all since both are neck through with X body wings, EMGs are going to sound similar in either or. The mahogany one is just going to sound a tiny bad darker

You'd be surprised at the weight of a tremelo but i think the weight might be the body this time after looking at those links

Nowhere on the Ibanez site does it say it's basswood so I'm not sure where musicians friend would be getting their info unless its an older model.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by Eskil Rask
well, first of all, it feels very light weight - about the same weight as my Agathis ESP Explorer.

Secondly most of the reviews on harmony central said it was basswood.
Plus the tremolo version was a lot heavier at the shop.

I found the problem dude. the model you have was made out of basswood in 2008. The price difference is because of the year not the wood so much. Most dealers put their 2008 stock on sale cheaper than their 2009 stock.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Page 1 of 2