Ok buddies. Im in need of some help.

So...... say your playing a twelve bar blues in E, naturally i would start soloing in eminor pentatonic. But since im bored of that i started learning major pents.

so heres my questions:

1. If your playing a 12 bar or something in E, could you use E major pentatonic over it?
2. But isn't E major pent, just a c# minor?
3. If two is Yes, why the crap can you play C# minor over a thing in E

Thank ya guys
1. If it is in E major, yes you can use an E major pentatonic.
2. E major contains the same notes as C# minor but is not the same thing.
3. The difference is that E major has E as its tonal center, while C# minor has C# as it's tonal center thus a progression in E major while resolve to E and vice versa.
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane
if its a major progression, your playing a C# minor scale is actually in E major. They have the same notes, but the SOUND is major so even if you play a C#m scale, its in E major.
7even summarized what I am about to explain:

1. Absolutely! A good blues player will mix the minor pentatonic, blues, and major pentatonic in a solo. The inherent tension in the 7 chords in a 12-bar blues allows a lot of out-of-key tones to work. You say that you just go to Em pentatonic over a blues in E by default. Does it really make sense to play a minor scale over a major chord? Doesn't a major scale make more sense? However, the blues allows the non-key tones to work, often better than notes in the key.

2. C#m is the relative minor of E major. They contain the same notes, yes, but C#m is used over C#m progressions while E major is used over E major progressions. If you "play the C#m pentatonic" over a progression in E, you're simply playing the E major pentatonic and naming the scale wrong.

3. You can't.

Quote by ShoeFactory
but the SOUND is major so even if you play a C#m scale, its in E major.
Sound is subjective. You can't rely on sound alone to determine if something is major or minor. Major key songs don't always sound happy, especially if there is heavy use of the Imaj7 chord.
Thaks guys. so my second question... how does "walk this way" work?
The beginning is eminor, and the first solo is Cminor, and the chorus is C something, not sure if minor or major.

How does that all work?
They change key. Most of the song is standard C blues/rock (mixing minor and major as I described above), but the riff is just out of the E blues scale.