Page 1 of 2
Can you remember your first song that you learned? Do you remember how proud you were after you learned that song? Do you remember how hard you practiced to learn that one song?
what's your first song you learned, and how long did it take you to learn it?
Well I haven't actually learned a song from start to finish and I've been playing for 8 months But I can do most of Electric Funeral (Black Sabbath) didn't take long as there's only a few riffs.
Quote by craig-sansum
+10000000000000000000000000000000000

Quote by Sanitarium91
Liking the cosmic toad vocals is a sign of exquisite taste, so good on you!
I've been playing for a little more than a year and I have yet to learn a FULL song. I just know a bunch of riffs to my favorite songs.
first song all the way through was All The Small Things by blink-182
Guitars
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Ibanez DTX-120
Yamaha APX-500
Encore Fender Copy (Custom Hardware)
Epiphone Flying V Bass

Amps
Fender FM 25 DSP
Roland Microcube
Peavey Bass Amp

Pedals
Marshall JH-1 Jackhammer
Boss Me-25
In all honesty I cant remember the first song I learned, all I remember is it was a church song with a G C D chord progression and I had a week to learn it and play it in front of about 150 people good thing no one could hear my guitar haha
well its not my first song, but all the way through would be sledgehammer by fall of troy

PSN: reldask
some good old surf rock
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5D07c0dJuQ

I figured out the basic fretting and such of playing guitar in a day or two, I could kind of do the solo as well a month or so later

I then proceeded with Stairway to Heaven, took me about 2 or 3 weeks for the first part of the song....got the solo like a year later
When I was into acoustic I learned Swing Life Away; I played that intro over and over and over till I got it perfect, and managed to impress my bestfriend's boyfriend, who's been playing for 7 or so years. It would've been better if I was capable of singing and playing at the same time buuuuut... :P
You're killing me Smalls!
Quote by shattamakkar
OMG ARE THOSE WAT I THINK THEY ARE!
Ive been playin 5 months.. first song i learned start to finish was enter sandman-metallica two months ago:P kinda sad it took me three months to learn a full siong but i wasnt practicing it the whole time learning lots of other roffs aswell, im in a band now and having a blast playing Rythym... after u learn ur first full song learnming other songs fully gets allot easier
Last edited by EndOfDharma at Aug 17, 2009,
Quote by reldask
well its not my first song, but all the way through would be sledgehammer by fall of troy

God dammit, I envy you.

Mine was Never Too Late by Three Days Grace. Every now and then I'll tune to Drop D and I'll play it just for fun.
First riff I ever learned was the classic Smoke On the Water bit.

First entire song I learned would probably be Sequoia Throne (wtf?)

Before a few months ago, I would only learn a few riffs to a song and move on.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Who's going to stop you? The music police?
i learned smoke on the water first
first full song was bulls on parade by rage against the machine
I GOT A LES PAUL YAY!!!
first song i ever learned all the way through was master of puppets. took about two or three months.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
1st Acoustic was "Put your Lights on" - Everlast and Sanatana

1st Electric was "For whoom the bell tolls"

1st first song I ever performed live was "Undone(The Sweater Song) - Weezer
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Quote by Jonny Ryan Mac
1st Acoustic was "Put your Lights on" - Everlast and Sanatana

Ha me too man, I thought I was great

My first full song solo and all was Live Forever by Oasis. Not a big fan of the song now, probably played it too much lol
Quote by FacetOfChaos
First entire song I learned would probably be Sequoia Throne (wtf?)

I tried learning that song about 2 or 3 months after I started playing, and the only thing I could do was the single string tapping part

It took me a week to learn

I'm working on the Divine Suicide Of K. right now, and I almost have the intro perfected. There's a couple parts I'm having trouble with (mostly the 'end wankery' where it's pretty much the intro patterns - just picked), but I'm starting to get the hang of it.

After I learn that song all the way through I'm going to finish learning Bloodmeat. That's gonna be a bitch. I almost have that fill after the first chorus down, I'm about maybe 20 - 30 BPM off from getting it.
Last edited by Dregen at Aug 18, 2009,
Been playing for about a year and a half. First song I fully learned was Fine Again by Seether then Spiders by System of a Down.
Californication - RHCP

i was pretty impressed with myself once I was able to play the whole song cleanly while singing along to it. It wasn't hard to practice the song, but admittedly, it did take me awhile to nail it.
Quote by jemjabella42
People look too much into body language. Sometimes I don't make eye contact with people because they are ugly.
My first ever sog to learn was we are 138 by the misfits, on bass...my uncle tabbed it out for me at the time along with some nirvana..
I think the first song I learned was either Jump in the Fire or No Remorse, both by Metallica.
This was after I had been playing for a little bit. Before that, I did the usual "learn a few riffs"
Cochise by Audioslave. The riff was the first thing my guitar teacher taught me, just to kind of get my hands comfortable on the guitar, and about a year into playing guitar I could play the full song. It's easy, but very fun to play and the solo is a mere two notes haha...definitely a good song for beginners to learn. The intro is kind of strange but it's not really necessary to play it. Slapback delay and hitting the low E with your fingers.

I will always love Tom Morello...
"Life was such a wheel that no man could stand upon it for long.
And it always, at the end, came round to the same place again."

- Stephen King, The Stand
Wild Thing by The Troggs
"I want a drink"

"You always want something. In Tibet, if they want something...they give something away"

"Do they? That must be why they are such a dominant global power"

Brought to you by Graham Linehan and Dylan Moran
I guess technically, "Maynard's Dick" by Tool, but the one I learned when I actually got into guitar was "Breakdown" by Jack Johnson.

First song on bass was "Higher Ground," naturally. That was the song that, when I was listening to it once, made me say, "I'm going to buy a bass and learn to play like that."

I probably learned "Maynard's Dick" about five years ago, then "Breakdown" was probably like three years ago, then "Higher Ground" was about two and a half years ago.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
first rock tune- Shooting Star, by Bad Company
first jazz tune- Impressions, by Coltrane
Quote by bearded_monkey
Everytime I go into the guitar shop and ask for a G-String the shopkeeper always makes that TERRIBLE joke about it not being an underwear shop

So next time I go in I'm gonna ask for a thong
Dammit by Blink 182.
last.fm
Quote by rockhard182
*opens happytimeharrys head* *finds nothing*

what a ripoff

Member #18 of the "Claudio Sanchez is God" Club. PM stepco12345 to join!
First I learned Sunshine of your Love and Smoke on the Water without the solos. I think the first song I could play full out was Heart Shaped Box.
Quote by Jackal58
What? You don't speak wigger? Allow me to translate:
Hai gais I'm a troll!!!!!!
The first song I learned was Bad Moon Rising by Creedance Clearwater Revival. It took me a few days and still played it sloppy as hell
Control your destiny.
i think it was probably the intro chords to fear of the dark and of course smells like teen spirit
www.myspace.com/credittodementiaband
Well, probably some song with only a G and an A chord... but the first 'real' song, is probably bad moon rising... or let it be! The first 'cool' song I learned that wasn't just open chords is probably under the bridge!
I don't remember the first song I learned... It was a little folk melody out of a beginner's trombone book... That was about eight years ago, methinks.
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
My first song was Bel Air by Malice Mizer.

Check it out on youtube or find guitar pro tabs to see how much of a bad-ass I was when I first started guitar.

The whole song is lead so it really helped my fingering. I learned Mana's part.
"When you're a young, long-haired guitarist, people don't take you seriously." - John Petrucci.

Quote by maskimx
I am really really not proud of this but there was a chubby, African American kid in my preschool, and I called him "Blacky Fatso"
Page 1 of 2