Hi Pit, I'm currently picking out my universities, I need 5 universities to which I will apply to through UCAS.

I want to study (Modern) History and Philosophy.

My current list:

Through UCAS:

Oxford
St. Andrews
Edinburgh

Not through UCAS:

Trinity College Dublin

- I have already checked out Warwick and Durham but both are too Science orientated, also, I can't study history AND philosophy there.

Here are some of the thing I'm looking for:

- Location is important, it has to be a nice place, nice atmosphere etc...
- It should be a good university with a good reputation (like the ones I already listed)
- It shouldn't be as academic as Cambridge or as scientific as Imperil C. London
- It should have a nice facility
- I have to be able to study history and philosophy (or something similar like ancient history or geography).
- It must be in the UK

Thanks in advance, I hope you can help me out.

- TDN
Quote by thedefrockednun

- I have already checked out Warwick and Durham but both are too Science orientated, also, I can't study history AND philosophy there.

Go to Warwick anyways, they make excellent bass guitars.
I'm warning you don't do history. Everyone that I know that has done History either switched their major or can't get hired (at least in the US)
Quote by axethrower13
But you only die once, so you may as well experience it to the fullest.

Quote by ozzyismetal
Get her a goat. Bitches love goats.

Quote by Weaponxclaws
Plus, naturally I scream satanic rituals while unleashing the demon. It's a marvelous resurrection.
It shouldn't be as academic as Cambridge so you're applying to Oxford? that makes no sense. Both universities are very similar in their teaching styles and general take on education. If Cambridge is "too" academic, Oxford will be too.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Quote by sinan90
It shouldn't be as academic as Cambridge so you're applying to Oxford? that makes no sense. Both universities are very similar in their teaching styles and general take on education. If Cambridge is "too" academic, Oxford will be too.

I may have used the wrong words, Cambridge is better for stuff like maths, physics and biology.

Oxford is better for stuff like history, philosophy, geography, PPE etc...
Quote by thedefrockednun
I may have used the wrong words, Cambridge is better for stuff like maths, physics and biology.

Oxford is better for stuff like history, philosophy, geography, PPE etc...

that is a total lie! - at cambridge we have one of the best history departments in the world - why did you get the idea that cambridge was more "science" and less arts than oxford? oxford and cambridge are near identical in terms of acedemia and excel across all subjects.

also "something similar like geography and philosophy" get your subjects sorted properly before picking a uni otherwise you could make a mistake (i ended up making a last minute course change post application, it was NOT fun)
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Last edited by doive at Aug 17, 2009,
Manchester, Leeds, Sheffield, Edinburgh. Get up North brah.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
That stuff about Cambridge being better for science is BS. It used to be like that, but they're pretty much equal these days. The only difference is people like yourself who think one is better for a certain subject and apply accordingly. And if you're gonna be that snobbish about Warwick, we don't want you

Seriously, though, have you tried Bristol? I've never been to the campus but I know it's a pretty good uni, and I think I remember reading that it was particularly good for philosophy
Quote by SlackerBabbath
This from a country who're trying to make up for being late for the last two world wars by being really early for the next one?

Quote by konfyouzd
i think this is my favorite post of the day

Quote by Benguitar2
You ****ing pwn.

Awesome, dude, just awesome.
None of those universities are near me defrocked. How will this aid my RT London meet campaign?!
Quote by #1 synth
i get confused when individuals call math maths. it just doesnt sound right.
Maths is short for mathematicS and thus is correct.
Quote by rigiddigits
None of those universities are near me defrocked. How will this aid my RT London meet campaign?! Maths is short for mathematicS and thus is correct.

what is near you?
Quote by thedefrockednun
what is near you?
University of Surrey, Sussex, Brighton, all the London unis...

PS I went to Reading and their philosophy department is amazing.
Quote by rigiddigits
None of those universities are near me defrocked. How will this aid my RT London meet campaign?! Maths is short for mathematicS and thus is correct.

I know, which is why its so weird that the damn american schooling system has trained me that it should be called math when it is completely and obviously wrong. What a strange thing for a culture to try to rebel against.
Quote by thedefrockednun
So far only 1 person said something relevant to my question

Thanks DieGarbageMan

The campus is beautiful, theres a river running through the entire thing and a plethora of woods and mazes

some pics;

Quote by RentACar
Oxford, for the name.

Through UCAS (our application system) you can only apply to one of Oxford or Cambridge, and even then only one college out of that. If he's applying to Cambridge then Oxford isn't an option.

I liked warwick too. It's my insurance and they gave me a nice offer so i have to talk it up a bit (I could end up there next year, I find out on thurs). Have a look at exeter. Apparently the History department is pretty good and it offers philosophy too. Nice place to live and all.
- Location is important, it has to be a nice place, nice atmosphere etc...

What kind of nice place? If you want fun happnin' times, then you want any big city uni.

- It should be a good university with a good reputation (like the ones I already listed)

Look at one of the university league tables. Look at like... the top 30. Don't pay attention to how it orders them, but then research a couple that you like the look of and look at the departments and how they rate and what they teach.

- It shouldn't be as academic as Cambridge or as scientific as Imperil C. London

...what? Again, look at the department. They're not going to force science into your history lectures... so I don't get the point of this.

- It should have a nice facility

Nice as in buildings? As in academically?

- I have to be able to study history and philosophy (or something similar like ancient history or geography).
Look your self? Any big uni will do those subjects.

From your post the universities that jump to mind are: the four scottish ancients, places like durham, nottingham, warwick. But obviously i'm not up on English unis. I know a fair bit about the scottish ones though.

Come to Scotland. Come to Glasgow. Uni's beautiful, good, does the subjects you want, and it's cheaper than going to an english uni. And, I go there, so I can sex you up all over the joint.

http://www.lucavassalli.it/images/scotland_gallery/real/glasgow_university.JPG

I'm a right wee recruiter.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by meh!

From your post the universities that jump to mind are: the four scottish ancients, places like durham, nottingham, warwick. But obviously i'm not up on English unis. I know a fair bit about the scottish ones though.

Come to Scotland. Come to Glasgow. Uni's beautiful, good, does the subjects you want, and it's cheaper than going to an english uni. And, I go there, so I can sex you up all over the joint.

http://www.lucavassalli.it/images/scotland_gallery/real/glasgow_university.JPG

I'm a right wee recruiter.

We were told it's a lot harder for an englishman/woman to get into scottish unis. They favour scottish students.
I gotta say, the Uni's you've listed have got good reputations, but they're all pretty well known for being full of toffs, just as a warning if you can't hack people like that...
"They credited us with the birth of that sort of heavy metal thing. Well, if that's the case, there should be an immediate abortion." - Ginger Baker

Quote by alexlemon2
I've been here long enough, and nobody knows who teh fudge I am

I cry at night
solent university in southampton. im starting there in 2010 to study a for a degree in stand up comedy seriously they do that course now.
xxx

killing is my business... and business is good
Quote by thedefrockednun
I'm considering York, but that leaves me with 1 more that I need...

do it and come and visit me in the nearby town of Malton;

anywho, what are your predicted Grades and/or AS results (when you get them put them up), 'cos that would aid a lot in choice of Uni

I'm hoping to do history at Uni and I'm waiting 'til thursday to start contemplating which uni's (results day) which happily lands the day after my birthday, which would imply next year, results day will be on the day of my 18th birthday.. woop! drowning sorrows FTMFW
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Quote by Hammerzeit
We were told it's a lot harder for an englishman/woman to get into scottish unis. They favour scottish students.

How do they make it harder?
Man, are the pictures that were posted of Cambs? Cos...dayam! I wish I'd worked hard enough (see: doing some work) to go to a Red Brick.
Have you considered perhaps UCL, Brunel or City University London?
Just throwing them out there...

EDIT: TS you seem quite snobby in your attitude to Universities. You should get into Oxbridge no problem.
Last edited by piop at Aug 17, 2009,
Quote by meh!
How do they make it harder?

we were told that they prefer scottish students. Mught be bull because no one from down here gets in to scottish unis ever. It's probs just a problem at my old college.
Quote by Hammerzeit
we were told that they prefer scottish students. Mught be bull because no one from down here gets in to scottish unis ever. It's probs just a problem at my old college.

2500 or so english people at mine.

meh, I dunno, you could be right.
^ they really do, loads of my friends applied to Edinburgh (me included) and I only know one person who got accepted. Also, I was predicted well over the grades they asked for but they still rejected me.
"They credited us with the birth of that sort of heavy metal thing. Well, if that's the case, there should be an immediate abortion." - Ginger Baker

Quote by alexlemon2
I've been here long enough, and nobody knows who teh fudge I am

I cry at night
Quote by hippy12
^ they really do, loads of my friends applied to Edinburgh (me included) and I only know one person who got accepted. Also, I was predicted well over the grades they asked for but they still rejected me.

Edinburgh do that to everyone. They have oddly low grades.

Anyway, i've looked it up and i can say that:

Yes, they do give priority (with good reason, lots of scottish people apply with highers, so we'd be a bit screwed if we tried to apply to english unis) but...

about 35% of students at edinburgh university are English. So yeah.
Quote by Hammerzeit

I'm at St Andrews and there's plenty of English folk and us Northern Irish folk.

I would recommend you check out St Andrews but I'm not sure how it good it is for those subjects. I was taking Computer Science and I've now switched to Psychology. I took a module of Ancient History and thought it was well taught (most of the lecturers anyway). If you've any questions feel free to ask.