Well hello there GB&C

About a month ago, i was wandering what it would be like to just build a guitar from scratch. Carving all the wood into any form i desire, catering for exact comfort and feel for my styles. So i was really eager to start a build from scratch until i realised how idiotic my thoughts were. I have no tools, experience or time to work on my "dream machine". So after feeling gutted for a few minutes, a spark flew into my mind. I thought it would be a good idea to modify my Squier Stratocaster so i could pick up some valueable experience.

So here are my plans:

I have a plain Squier Strat:

Olympic White Body
Tortoiseshell Scratchplate
HSS Pup configuration
All Gold Hardware
Custom Print on Headstock
New Pots- All New Wiring

This is the desired outcome:

This is my first project and am inexperienced in this area, so please dont flame me
If you guys come tip me some advice on wiring and such i would be most grateful.
Also, if you could recommend me some nice pups that would be great

__

I'll keep posting as i progress through the project

Thanks for reading
Quote by wiggyisgreat
Slooj, I'd bang you so hard.

••The Robin Trower Fans Group••
PM me to join!
I hope you will suceed making that project! I am currently building some guitar gear (fx, pockets amps, rack, ...) but my next step will be to pimp my squier. If you could give some information about how you are gonna proceed to make those modifications it may help me. Good luck with this!
Sorryz for me bad engrish.

Quote by OnlyIbanez12
I just cut myself shaving my pubes...
If you are getting a new bridge, get a better quality one. Same with tuners. I would recommend replacing the nut as well.

Most importantly though, how does it play? Are the frets in good shape? Neck straight?
The neck plays surprisingly well. No issues as far as a good inspection goes

I have already disassembled the body and taken the bridge, wiring and scratchplate off. I'm gonna start sanding tomorrow using 70 grade sandpaper (that's all i have), although my friend told me to use paintstripper instead. Unfortunately i don't have any paintstripper in my shed, so i will have to go to the shops tomorrow and get some. Should be OK though

Thanks for the advice
Quote by wiggyisgreat

PM me to join!
Cool. You will need to get some finer sandpaper though. 70 will tear through that paint, and if you are doing a solid colour, you don't need to strip the old stuff off, just scuff it up enough that the new paint will adhere. Check the painting/refinishing thread (link in my sig) for help with anything paint-related. You can scuff with 400 grit.

BTW, modding Squiers is awesome.
Quote by Slooj
The neck plays surprisingly well. No issues as far as a good inspection goes

I have already disassembled the body and taken the bridge, wiring and scratchplate off. I'm gonna start sanding tomorrow using 70 grade sandpaper (that's all i have), although my friend told me to use paintstripper instead. Unfortunately i don't have any paintstripper in my shed, so i will have to go to the shops tomorrow and get some. Should be OK though

Thanks for the advice

oh, btw! you dont have to strip it if your painting it a solid color. you'll just need to scuff it all up nicely. i recommend not going too crazy with that 70 grit, though, as it will leave marks that will be noticeable even after you paint it. just make sure to get a good, light scuff over the entire body.

good luck man! i just did this to my squier and it was very much worth it.

EDIT: ok, so what if i repeated EXACTLY what cedricsmod said??

anyway, if you want inspiration (and i jsut feel like showing off lol) you can check out my rebuild here
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Last edited by bored_maniac33 at Aug 17, 2009,
OK guys, I'm back!
The time has come to buy some new pickups for the project.
Now I've never purchased new pups before, and am unsure of which brands/types are the best. So I was hoping if some of you guys could point me in the right direction.
Here's some info of what I'm aiming for:

HSS
Bridge (H): Classic Rock tone. eg. Guns N Roses, Aerosmith, etc..
Middle (S): SRV style tone. Rock Blues. Muddy.
Neck (S): Warm Bluesy tone. e.g. Hendrix.

Thanks
Quote by wiggyisgreat

PM me to join!
Im looking to modify my strat and replace the pickups as well, but I also dont know what kind of pickups i should get. I play indie rock / punk / folk sounding stuff.

what are some good pickups?
why would you report that? it makes way more sense for me to ask a question in a relevant thread than to start a completely new thread with less information about the topic in it. also, no one ever answered his question about the pickups.
Last edited by blackmajik2021 at Dec 23, 2009,
Quote by Slooj
OK guys, I'm back!
The time has come to buy some new pickups for the project.
Now I've never purchased new pups before, and am unsure of which brands/types are the best. So I was hoping if some of you guys could point me in the right direction.
Here's some info of what I'm aiming for:

HSS
Bridge (H): Classic Rock tone. eg. Guns N Roses, Aerosmith, etc..
Middle (S): SRV style tone. Rock Blues. Muddy.
Neck (S): Warm Bluesy tone. e.g. Hendrix.

Thanks

Bridge-Seymour Duncan jb jr or Hot rails
Middle-Texas specials or Tex Mex
Neck-Fender custom shop 69's