So my bass teacher has been assigning me some (fairly difficult) songs that include lots of notes that are above the staff. I can figure out where each note is and where to play, but it takes foreeeeeever, especially when there are large chunks of the song above the staff. So do you guys know of any online quizzes or drills that will help me identify these notes more quickly?
ledger lines. learn them, do exactly as you did to learn the spaces and lines of the staff..

edit: and im pretty sure if you learn the song he gave you youll learn what the ledger lines are as well.

PSN: reldask
Last edited by reldask at Aug 17, 2009,
I hope I don't sound like a fool, but what are "notes above the staff"? And ledger lines? Hope you can explain that to me...

Probably is not a matter I don't know them, but a matter a of language, 'cause I'm Spanish.

Thank you!
Quote by elgranmapache
I hope I don't sound like a fool, but what are "notes above the staff"? And ledger lines? Hope you can explain that to me...

Probably is not a matter I don't know them, but a matter a of language, 'cause I'm Spanish.

Thank you!

The g-c on the bottom line are above the staff.
the staff is the 5 lines
The lines that go through the A and the C are ledger lines.
rawr
Quote by reldask
ledger lines. learn them, do exactly as you did to learn the spaces and lines of the staff..

edit: and im pretty sure if you learn the song he gave you youll learn what the ledger lines are as well.

I know the ledger lines, but I still have to start from A and go up to figure out what note it is. I'm just wondering if there are any online quizzes or drills or something that will help me to be able to identify the notes above the staff faster.
I am really bad at reading music due to slacking over the summer, but during the past school year I saw myself improving from just doing as you said, although I start at the G. My advice is to keep doing it like that, you will recognize them after some time.

In direct response your question, can't direct you to any quizzes.
Quote by IcePh0enix
I know the ledger lines, but I still have to start from A and go up to figure out what note it is. I'm just wondering if there are any online quizzes or drills or something that will help me to be able to identify the notes above the staff faster.

Well you should be able to recognize up to C very easily and then maybe up to E rather easily, but past that i think it's more forgivable. realistically, you're having to count tiny lines and then assign a note to the number of lines you count. I would say it's better to just memorize that part of the song or write the notes out
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!