Hello everyone. I'm new here, and I have a big problem.

I have this old Jackson JS1 I am working on. I am trying to re-install a graph-tech nut. I had the nut installed previously using good wood glue...but, the nut keeps sliding out of place...I think this is the third time I have had to remove the nut, clean out the old glue, and reseat it. Here's what is causing it:

As you can see, this stupid slanted headstock causes the bass strings to pull the nut out of position. The tension is too much for regular wood glue...so I am wondering...should I superglue it? I'm awfully tempted too...I don't care if the guitar is damaged a bit at the headstock...it's a cheap guitar anyway. What else can I do?
are you sure you're letting the glue sit long enough before restringing?
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
You aren't supposed to use wood glue, because the nut is plastic.

I use superglue.
GEAR:
Fender USA Lefty Telecaster
Custom HSS Lefty Strat
Samick Hollow-body
BOSS DS-1
BOSS SD-1
BOSS CE-4
BOSS DD-6
USA Big Muff PI
Peavey MACE 160w Head
Peavey MACE 410 Cabinet
Yamaha FG-450S-L
Eleca DAG3LN Lefty Acoustic
Quote by Inertiaaa
You aren't supposed to use wood glue, because the nut is plastic.

I use superglue.

Don't listen to this. If you use superglue you wont ever get the nut off again without completely destroying, that is assuming it doesn't pull finish or wood up with it already.

Stick to the woodglue, and apply pressure for a while, make sure it's completely set before restringing.
Quote by Invader Jim
A post with that many big words just HAS to be right.

Wii FC: 8115 1176 4951 3028
Quote by shadow phoenix
Don't listen to this. If you use superglue you wont ever get the nut off again without completely destroying, that is assuming it doesn't pull finish or wood up with it already.

Stick to the woodglue, and apply pressure for a while, make sure it's completely set before restringing.

Don't listen to this.

I use a dab of superglue to hold all my new nuts in place (talk about taking something out of context ) and it works wonderfully. It comes off at the tap of a mallet.

Wood glue really won't adhere to plastic or carbon graphite or anything like that, it's designed to get into the tiny little holes of the wood, so it's tremendously ineffective when used on a non porous surface.

I speak from experience, you... well I'm not sure but I think you're just guessing.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
The instructions with my graphtech nut said not to use superglue, but to use wood glue. Me, thinking I new best, used superglue. When I came to take the nut out, I destroyed the whole shelf as the nut was bonded way to much. You dont want to irreversably bond the two surfaces, you simply want to keep the nut there.

Now, I learnt from this, and I have used standard wood glue with three of my guitars when installing the nut and I've had no problems. Apply glue liberally to surfaces and clamp in place tight. If glue oozes out of the joint, then good. Wipe away excess ooze and leave for 48 hours. Restring and problem solved.
Quote by supergerbil
The instructions with my graphtech nut said not to use superglue, but to use wood glue. Me, thinking I new best, used superglue. When I came to take the nut out, I destroyed the whole shelf as the nut was bonded way to much. You dont want to irreversably bond the two surfaces, you simply want to keep the nut there.

Now, I learnt from this, and I have used standard wood glue with three of my guitars when installing the nut and I've had no problems. Apply glue liberally to surfaces and clamp in place tight. If glue oozes out of the joint, then good. Wipe away excess ooze and leave for 48 hours. Restring and problem solved.

Don't forget my headstock is what's causing the problem. I have installed other nuts on guitars where the headstock was the regular type, and yes, wood glue would do. However, in this situation, I need something that will hold tight...plus...I could use acetone to remove the superglue anyway...if I wanted to.
Quote by Albino_Rhino
Don't listen to this.

I use a dab of superglue to hold all my new nuts in place (talk about taking something out of context ) and it works wonderfully. It comes off at the tap of a mallet.

Wood glue really won't adhere to plastic or carbon graphite or anything like that, it's designed to get into the tiny little holes of the wood, so it's tremendously ineffective when used on a non porous surface.

I speak from experience, you... well I'm not sure but I think you're just guessing.

Thank you!
Ive used super glue and titebond before. Never had an issue w super glue bonding so completely it destroyed anything. But you dont slather it on.
I use Elmer's School glue. Sticks to wood, sticks to plastic, but a heck of a lot easier to get off down the road than superglue.
Quote by supergerbil

This is what I was referring to when I mentioned wood glue over superglue.

Listen to Albino Rhino though, I'm sure he knows a lot more about this than I do. I'll just stick to my way
Quote by Invader Jim
A post with that many big words just HAS to be right.

Wii FC: 8115 1176 4951 3028
Sorry if I didn't make myself clear here...

Using a lot of superglue is a very bad idea. Using a teeny tiny dab is a great idea.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
With all the contradiction in this thread, I'm gonna say. Take it to a tech.
Quote by Toolfan11
With all the contradiction in this thread, I'm gonna say. Take it to a tech.

... we gave him the right answers.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by Albino_Rhino

Using a lot of superglue is a very bad idea. Using a teeny tiny dab is a great idea.

Listen to the guy who has built a guitar before
tiny dab of superglue. Angled headstocks are a gift from the guitar gods when it comes to sustain and tuning stability, so don't call em stupid .
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku
Listen to the guy who has built a guitar before
tiny dab of superglue. Angled headstocks are a gift from the guitar gods when it comes to sustain and tuning stability, so don't call em stupid .

Sustain and tuning stability? haha If you put a floyd rose retainer bar on a strat style headstock, it would create the same angle of breakage over the nut, would it not? Therefore, wouldn't a floyd bar give you the same exact results?

I don't believe the tuning stability thing though, I'm sorry.

TS: I'd still stick with wood glue (proper wood glue!) and just clamp it properly. But try superglue if you want, other people seem to thinks its for the best.
Ive only ever had to replace a nut on acoustic guitars , done it a few times, i always used either UHU glue stuff (Im not sure exactly what that is) or superglue, with both i have been able to remove the nut if need be afterwards.

But yeah that headstock is a silly shape.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by Albino_Rhino

That's all you need, a couple of drops.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.