I've been interested in getting a DS-1, but I'm split between the Keeley modded version or getting an old MIJ version. How does the Keeley version sound good on the clean channel of an amp? I play a 100W fender frontman with various distortion pedals. Which pedal has more gain and which has the "Marshall in a box" sound when paired with the clean channel of an amp. Which is noisier and which pedal is warmer? Any other DS-1 mods I should look up? Which one is best? Thanks to all who give me advice.
dude, i hate to break it to you, but nothing sounds good on a frontman. a keeley modded DS-1 will be a definite improvement on the FMs OD channel, but it's still going to be bad. i suggest saving up for a better amp.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Jhachey22
dude, i hate to break it to you, but nothing sounds good on a frontman. a keeley modded DS-1 will be a definite improvement on the FMs OD channel, but it's still going to be bad. i suggest saving up for a better amp.

+1.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Quote by Jhachey22

I know the OD channel is garbage, but the clean is pretty nice. That's why I exclusively use the clean with pedals. I'm talking about using these pedals as a main distortion. Forget the amp if you want. What would be the better pedal on a Deluxe Reverb or a high-end amp on clean?
Quote by JagerSlushy
+1.

+2

As much as I hate hijacking pedal threads with responses like 'get a new amp', a DS-1 into a Frontman is going to sound horrible. The DS-1 is very bright, so through a bright amp like the FM it'll sound tinny and horrible.
meh. frontman plus pedal fails. I have one, and I never use pedals on it. It really sucks for some reason with pedals except my chorus on clean.

For mods, google it. I don't know of any..
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by hendrixkixass
I know the OD channel is garbage, but the clean is pretty nice. That's why I exclusively use the clean with pedals. I'm talking about using these pedals as a main distortion. Forget the amp if you want. What would be the better pedal on a Deluxe Reverb or a high-end amp on clean?

but even the clean on that amp is sterile, IMO. i'd get the Deluxe reverb because it's a great "clean slate" amp to build on.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
^Or an HRD
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Quote by CullenT
^Or an HRD

the HRD is a decent amp, but IMO it's a FM with tubes. the clean is nice, but the cleans on a DRRI will be much warmer and fuller.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by Jhachey22
the HRD is a decent amp, but IMO it's a FM with tubes. the clean is nice, but the cleans on a DRRI will be much warmer and fuller.

I agree. It all depends on his budget though.
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Quote by CullenT
I agree. It all depends on his budget though.

i tend to look at the big picture. what's better:
buying a HRD for $700, play it for a couple of years, decide that there are better amps out there, go throught the hassle of selling and buying a enw amp

or

buying a DRRI for $1000, and knowing that it's a great investment and that it's an amp you'll hold on for a long time.

this is personal preference, of course. but, hey, i've known people who have LOVED HRD and BD amps, even the OD channels.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater