I'm thinking of asking around, probably also posting an ad on craigslist, about trading my JCM2000 for a Peavey XXX w/ a little cash maybe. I've seen some vids and the amp seems really versatile.

I'd also be nice to have an American voiced amp again. Since my Marshall is probably worth more, I'll take out the new KT77's i put in to use in the Peavey, putting back in the old Ruby EL34s and 12AX7's that were in it when I received it.

I also figured this would be a deal someone may jump on quicker, since they may feel like they were getting more than what their amp is worth.

ESP EC-1000 *Vintage Black*
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
ive never played either of those amps but ive heard the peavey has terrible cleans so if ur big on having good cleans its probably a bad idea
Gear

Guitar:
Squier Strat

Amp:
Fender Roc Pro 1000 Half Stack

Pedals:
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Digitech Cool Cat Chorus
What dont you like about the DSL? What kind of tone are you after?
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Quote by IsThereLoveInSp
What dont you like about the DSL? What kind of tone are you after?

I like a good pop punk tone (ala Fall Out Boy, Paramore, etc.) but my real love is brutal breakdowns and southern grunge rock (think Maylene, or Once Nothing)

I really like this guy's tone, and i'm thinking of getting a Mesa cab in the future, along with a new guitar loaded with Duncans, so i should basically have that sort of tone...because his amp is also equipped with KT77s:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMWQbOvDsr4

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Last edited by jcp42877 at Aug 17, 2009,
The head version of the XXX? I never tried it before, but I assume its similiar to the 40 watt combo which I love very much. It can do great rock metal. The cleans aren't terrible, with el34's. 12at7 in v1, and a bit of chorus its sounds better, not fender but decent cleans.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
The DSL is a go-to amp for pop punk. Paramore uses them. I think Fall Out Boy has at some point too. To go away from that sound makes no sense if that's what you're looking for. Most pop punk bands either use a DSL on both rhythm and lead, or Dual Rectifiers for rhythm and Oranges for leads.
Quote by JoePerry4life
The head version of the XXX? I never tried it before, but I assume its similiar to the 40 watt combo which I love very much. It can do great rock metal. The cleans aren't terrible, with el34's. 12at7 in v1, and a bit of chorus its sounds better, not fender but decent cleans.

haha, i love my fender cleans
most amps can get a decent clean with a bit of chorus, and id certainly trade my fender for something with a reputation like the XXX, but like i said if good cleans r a must for him it might be a bad idea
Gear

Guitar:
Squier Strat

Amp:
Fender Roc Pro 1000 Half Stack

Pedals:
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Digitech Cool Cat Chorus
good cleans aren't really a must-have. also the fact that my DSL fluctuates in its bias readings a lot and its noisy as hell through my cab. i also cant seem to dial in a good tone unless the Tone Shift button is pushed which EVERYONE says stay clear off because it sucks tone..ironic huh?

Maybe all i need is a good cab and a nice noise suppressor

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Id say the best choice would be to go for the JSX. that amp has pretty much amazing everything, and a built in noise gate. Not to mention it is american voiced with EL34s, aka ultimate versatility, and the tone is to die for. But the xxx/3120 are great amps to, i just prefer the JSX.
only if you get cash. The marshall is worth more money, but I like the XXX better than the JCM2000's, so IMO go for it.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Unless you're getting quite a bit of cash, I'd say no. The DSL is worth like twice the value of the XXX.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by apak
only if you get cash. The marshall is worth more money, but I like the XXX better than the JCM2000's, so IMO go for it.

So you mean sell the JCM or get the triple x AND money?

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Quote by MatrixClaw
Unless you're getting quite a bit of cash, I'd say no. The DSL is worth like twice the value of the XXX.

+1

I love my XXX...but the marshall is a bit more pricey
Well....it needs new tubes, the bias is off, and i've seen these and a TSL go for like $650-700 on my local craigslist.

I also got this amp and my guitar for $500 after my trading was all said and done

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. lol. keep that marshal, i hate the XXX tone.
Too cool for a signature.
My unofficial eBay report:

JCM 2000 DSL 100 watt heads seem to be going for $600-$700.

Peavey XXX 120 watt heads are going for $500-$600.

EDIT: Dual Rectifier 2 or 3 channel $1000-$1100.
Last edited by BobDetroit at Aug 17, 2009,
I really do not think the XXX sounds good at all...

Just my opinion though...
Quote by BobDetroit
My unofficial eBay report:

JCM 2000 DSL 100 watt heads seem to be going for $600-$700.

Peavey XXX 120 watt heads are going for $500-$600.

Interesting, a few weeks ago, the DSL50 and 100 were going in the $700-900 range and the XXX was at about $400, all across the board. I've never seen a XXX sell for more than $500

Weird.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by BobDetroit

Typical trickle down effect of Mesa's "Our amps hold their value longer than a Rolex cuz we say so." Schtick.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
Quote by ConfederateAxe
Typical trickle down effect of Mesa's "Our amps hold their value longer than a Rolex cuz we say so." Schtick.

*cough* Gibson *cough*
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Quote by Green_Jelly
*cough* Gibson *cough*

Them too.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
I think you would like the Triple X, IMO its not really American or Britished voiced, but both, it has the definition and clairity one expects from an American amp, and the mid range detail of a British amp, this make this amp super versatile and capable of a ton of tones. IMO the amp sounds best with JJ KT77's, I also tried JJ EL34's, and some Ruby 6l6GC (stockers), the EL34's tubes comploment the amp the best, but KT-77's are the best of both worlds, midrange detail of EL34's and lowend is almost as beefy as 6l6's, IMO KT-77 rule the day. As far as amp worth is concered, the DSL goes for 100-200 dollars more than the Triple X, now is the DSL actually worth that much more? IMO, no its not, I think the amps are both equally good, but just are capable of different things. Its just any thing with Marshall on it seems to hold its value, and anything with Peavey tends to fall down a bit lower. For what you are trying to do I think the Triple X will suite you well, it can get almost as hardcore as a 5150, but can be tamed to do a lot more tones, and do them MUCH beter than a 5150 ever could. The Cleans on the Triple X are great, I think most people that have a problem with the cleans have the bias set to cold, don't get me wrong, they are no Fender, but I think when properly biased they are equally as good as any other High gain amp, baring the EVH 5150 and the Riveras.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6