Ok so I am a guitarist but I want to broaden my horizons as my parents would put it lol and get a bass. I know some people who play and I really think I should try it out. I'm more of a rock/alternative player. Want I want to know is what kind of bass would be best for me, where would be the best place to get it from, and what I would need to go with it. Thanks
Going on just that, I'd say get a Squire Vintage Modded Jazz bass and a Fender Rumble 30
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
^ I can understand the VM...but a Rumble 30? Why? Assuming you mean the Rumble 25 (there's no 30), for the same price he gets an Acoustic AB50, a Nemesis EN10, or a Peavey MAX 112, all of which have more power and sound better.

As for the bass, TS, what do you like? The bass you get should be the one you want, not the one that is suggested to you...you can play any style with any bass. If you can tell us what type of neck you like (thin, chunky, wide, narrow, etc...), and name some bands/songs with a bass tone you like, we can help. Telling what you like aesthetically helps too.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Aug 17, 2009,
Quote by RockinGrl
Ok so I am a guitarist but I want to broaden my horizons as my parents would put it lol and get a bass. I know some people who play and I really think I should try it out. I'm more of a rock/alternative player. Want I want to know is what kind of bass would be best for me, where would be the best place to get it from, and what I would need to go with it. Thanks

Before listening to the advice anyone has said you really need to think what is important for you.

1. Getting the bass - Where are you from?
Do they have it locally?
Do you want to try it out?
You might live somewhere sucky with not much choice...you go to the internet...

2. Budget vs peice of mind?
Do you order from a huge company that merely imports loads of different kinds of instruments and sells them for as cheap as possible online or do you go to a shop where you can actually take something back if you have a problem? If they fix something right and set up your gear right then you know you have a local luthier you can trust (which is always useful). If not, I empathise with you.

3. Accessories?
Other than a guitar and amp. Picks (thick gauges - 2-3mm). Spare strings. Cables. Tuner/Metronome. Learning materials. Strap. Power supply (always handy to have your own extension). Gig bag/hardcase. Stand. Screwdrivers.

I could have be more helpful but it's almost 5AM and I haven't slept.
I collect clothes and IKEA furniture. Who are you?
Quote by Mutant Corn
^ I can understand the VM...but a Rumble 30? Why? Assuming you mean the Rumble 25 (there's no 30), for the same price he gets an Acoustic AB50, a Nemesis EN10, or a Peavey MAX 112, all of which have more power and sound better.

As for the bass, TS, what do you like? The bass you get should be the one you want, not the one that is suggested to you...you can play any style with any bass. If you can tell us what type of neck you like (thin, chunky, wide, narrow, etc...), and name some bands/songs with a bass tone you like, we can help. Telling what you like aesthetically helps too.

I didn't bother to look up if they had a 30 or not, I just guessed. They do have the Acoustic, yeah, but I actually like the Rumble line as well. It was just the first thing that popped to mind without looking anything up.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it