I have had my PRS for a good few years now and it's a little bit worn on some of the higher frets and the first 3 frets. Would it be a good idea to dress them now?

Edit: Often known as Stone and Profile
Ibanez Jem 7V-WH
PRS Custom 24
ESP Ltd EC1000
Last edited by satchgear at Aug 17, 2009,
Get a fret dressing done when the frets are uneven enough to cause intonation problems, fret buzz or plain old general playability issues. If one or two frets seem a little uneven but it's not actually effecting your playing or the sound of the instrument at all, a fret dressing is unnecessary.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Well I have noticed a little bit of choking on the 14th fret high E string only. I tried raising my action a little and it did nothing. When I bend the note up it chokes out. Do you think a thicker gauge string may compensate for this?
Ibanez Jem 7V-WH
PRS Custom 24
ESP Ltd EC1000
a thicker string would make the problem worse since it would be a little closer to the fret. or so i assume, but it makes sence in my head. as far as the 14 fret choking out, you could just get that one dressed.
Quote by Mo Jiggity
What he said. You are a wise man for not buying into the hype.

ya hear that...he thinks im wise
You answered Flibbles point, only get one if you need it, but if you are adjusting action and have choking notes during bends, then it wouldnt hurt to get a light fret leveling. It'll run you around $50-$75 most likely from a good luthier, but will be done right.
I had fret buzzing on the 2nd fret G string of my les paul after raising the string gauge. My luthier showed me the first 5 frets all have indentations where the string meets the fret and offered to replace the first 5 frets for $60. I said okay, is this a bad idea? My guitar teacher said all it would need is a fret dress but I'm guessing a new fret is even better? Is this true or is there something bad about getting new frets?
what is the music theory and what does it teach you, like scales, solos, and to build speed???

Check out my recordings