Page 1 of 2
My birthday is next Wednesday, and with the money I have now plus birthday money, I'll have around 500-600 USD.
Well, I'm wanting to get a new head to replace my POS crate gt1200h.
I want tube.
Definitely tube.
I play stuff like progressive metal.. (BTBAM, PTH like stuff)
but I also want an amp with good cleans.
I am willing to go used.

So far all I've seen that caught my eye was a Bugera 6260.

thanks.
For sale:
Schecter C1 Classic.
Schecter 007 Elite.
Randall G2 Head.
Crate 4x12 cab.
Line 6 POD XT.
Samson PG2200 power amp.
Bugera 333XL easily
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
I played one of those the other day, was pretty impressed.
Any other suggestions anyone?
For sale:
Schecter C1 Classic.
Schecter 007 Elite.
Randall G2 Head.
Crate 4x12 cab.
Line 6 POD XT.
Samson PG2200 power amp.
uh no don't get a bugera. awful. Look for something like a laney aor 100, sovtek mig 100, red bear mk60, peavey butcher, peavye vtm, peavey ultra 60 or 120...
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
Oh, and this may be important, I need something loud enough to play shows.
For sale:
Schecter C1 Classic.
Schecter 007 Elite.
Randall G2 Head.
Crate 4x12 cab.
Line 6 POD XT.
Samson PG2200 power amp.
Played a Peavey Valveking through a Marshall cab and it was a pretty decent amp. In your price range aswell.
Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-1960 Yamaha Orange Sticker Acoustic
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH
Ehh, I've heard mixed reviews about Valvekings.. would I need to get a decent overdrive pedal to make it sound good?
For sale:
Schecter C1 Classic.
Schecter 007 Elite.
Randall G2 Head.
Crate 4x12 cab.
Line 6 POD XT.
Samson PG2200 power amp.
I think you'd be pretty set without any pedals. You can dial in some really badass tones with that amp and not need a boost. And its VERY loud, plenty of power for shows no doubt about it.

Heck go check it out if you can. Watch some reviews and videos, you might like it.
Gear:
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH
Last edited by IdntNedUrCvlWar at Aug 17, 2009,
Well, so far, you have been the biggest help, I'm gonna try one of these out as soon as I can. I may go with that.
For sale:
Schecter C1 Classic.
Schecter 007 Elite.
Randall G2 Head.
Crate 4x12 cab.
Line 6 POD XT.
Samson PG2200 power amp.
Yeah I personally thinks its a great amp. Very nice cleans. They also have a 1x12 and 2x12 combo versions. But if your gigging, I'd go with the head. The head is $100 cheaper then the 2x12 anyways. But if you wanted to, you could perform small shows with the combos.
Gear:
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH
Don't flame me for this, but how is the Spider Valve head?
For sale:
Schecter C1 Classic.
Schecter 007 Elite.
Randall G2 Head.
Crate 4x12 cab.
Line 6 POD XT.
Samson PG2200 power amp.
Haven't tried it, so I couldn't really tell you because I've never played it.

But anyways goodluck with the new amp. MAKE A THREAD WHEN YOU GET IT AND GET PICS
Gear:
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH
Egnater Rebel 20. if you don't find it's loud enough, you can always mic it.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
meh bugera isn't that good. Get a peavey xxx or 5150. 600 bucks isn't too high of a budget for an all tube head. All you can find used is gonna be a 5150 or a really beat up mesa. Or the economy is so bad that people sell their mesa single rectifier for 600. dunno. It's worth a shot.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
the amps in my post blow all of the other amps being mentioned out of the water so you owe yourself to check your local craigslist and find one. i haven't seen such awful suggestions or straight up lies (You wont get anything good used for 500 yea right...) in awhile.
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
Last edited by pmeg568c at Aug 17, 2009,
Quote by pmeg568c
the amps in my post blow all of the other amps being mentioned out of the water so you owe yourself to check your local craigslist and find one. i haven't seen such awful suggestions or straight up lies (You wont get anything good used for 500 yea right...) in awhile.

someone has a high opinion of themselves.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by pmeg568c

Well, I wouldn't consider them exactly 'metal' amps. They can do it, no doubt about it, but there are amps that do it much better like a mesa rectifier, dc, stiletto, etc. or peavey 5150, 3120, XXX, marshall JCM800, JCM2000 TSL/DSL.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
how does that have anything to do with what i think of myself? I am actually giving him suggestions for amps that aren't complete crap.

but the fact is that none of the amps mentioned are good for his budget. The only decent amp mentioned so far for what HE wants to do is a 5150, and all those amps can sound better than a 5150.

It is false that you can only get a few amps for $500. Seriously TS, browse craigslist. DO NOT buy a spider valve as it sounds nothing like a tube amp, DO NOT buy a valveking because it is just mediocre at everything and my new amp, the red bear mk 60 sounds like 10 times better, and i played a valveking for about a year. A 5150 would be a good idea only if you cant find one of the amps i mentioned on craigslist. Go play them and youll see why. They will blow every amp you have already played out of the water.
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
Quote by apak
Well, I wouldn't consider them exactly 'metal' amps. They can do it, no doubt about it, but there are amps that do it much better like a mesa rectifier, dc, stiletto, etc. or peavey 5150, 3120, XXX, marshall JCM800, JCM2000 TSL/DSL.

have you ever played any of the amps i mentioned? He can't get any of those amps you listed in his price range except for the ones already mentioned. I personally dislike mesa boogie because they suck your tone and make everything sound flat and fizzy, which some people like but i don't.
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
Quote by pmeg568c
how does that have anything to do with what i think of myself? I am actually giving him suggestions for amps that aren't complete crap.

but the fact is that none of the amps mentioned are good for his budget. The only decent amp mentioned so far for what HE wants to do is a 5150, and all those amps can sound better than a 5150.

It is false that you can only get a few amps for $500. Seriously TS, browse craigslist. DO NOT buy a spider valve as it sounds nothing like a tube amp, DO NOT buy a valveking because it is just mediocre at everything and my new amp, the red bear mk 60 sounds like 10 times better, and i played a valveking for about a year. A 5150 would be a good idea only if you cant find one of the amps i mentioned on craigslist. Go play them and youll see why. They will blow every amp you have already played out of the water.

in your opinion. I've tried Laney AORs and it think it sounds buzzy and fizzy. I've tried Bugeras. not my cup of tea, but they're a great metal amp on a budget.

sure, in your opinion all the amps blow the other amps out of the water. but the problem with the amps you mentioned is that they're not widely available. I'd buy a Red Bear or a Sovtek in a heartbeat, but they're not super easy to find. the amps others have mentioned are easier to find.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Go with the Bugera
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
i understand they are kind of difficult to find but sovteks are easy to find and why skimp on tone unless you really really need it right away?
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
Quote by TOMMYB22
Go with the Bugera

+1. I would bet good money Pmeg bandwagoned for his hatred of Bugera's and he also listed off a bunch of amps that are very good for TS' price-range, but we're all single channel (except the Peavey Ultra and the Laney I believe) and lacked the versatility that the Bugera would have with a dedicated Lead/Clean channel.

I can vouch for the Bugera 6260 TS, it'll play your progressive metal with ease and will be able to go wherever else you want it to go. The cleans are nice and chimey (think fenderish) with the Lead channel letting out all the raw aggression those 4 6L6's can create.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
The Peavey XXX is up your alley.
"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."
Quote by _KurtCobain_77
+1. I would bet good money Pmeg bandwagoned for his hatred of Bugera's and he also listed off a bunch of amps that are very good for TS' price-range, but we're all single channel (except the Peavey Ultra and the Laney I believe) and lacked the versatility that the Bugera would have with a dedicated Lead/Clean channel.

I can vouch for the Bugera 6260 TS, it'll play your progressive metal with ease and will be able to go wherever else you want it to go. The cleans are nice and chimey (think fenderish) with the Lead channel letting out all the raw aggression those 4 6L6's can create.

again have you played a single channel tube amp like those? If you had you would not be saying the bugera is more versatile since it simply isn't.

I don't bandwagon, i've simply played every amp mentioned in this thread even the bugera and the spider valve so i have my opinion on them.

The cleans on both the red bear and sovtek are way more chimey than a bugera and they can also be as aggressive and also can have 4 6L6s. And it nice to have an amp that actually has dynamics and sounds different with even the slightest tube change. You won't get that in any of these other amps really.

I just really can't honestly think how anyone can think those newer cheap tube amps sounds better than older handwired amps. Honestly once you play one you will realize what i mean.
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
Quote by pmeg568c
again have you played a single channel tube amp like those? If you had you would not be saying the bugera is more versatile since it simply isn't.

I don't bandwagon, i've simply played every amp mentioned in this thread even the bugera and the spider valve so i have my opinion on them.

The cleans on both the red bear and sovtek are way more chimey than a bugera and they can also be as aggressive and also can have 4 6L6s. And it nice to have an amp that actually has dynamics and sounds different with even the slightest tube change. You won't get that in any of these other amps really.

I just really can't honestly think how anyone can think those newer cheap tube amps sounds better than older handwired amps. Honestly once you play one you will realize what i mean.

I have played the Mig100, and it's an AMAZING amp, but it lacks the dedicated clean channel, this makes it less versatile especially in a gig situation when you need your cleans to switch to Brootalz in a split second. The Bugera is more versatile because it has the channel switching, dedicated EQ's (on the 6262 and 333/333XL), and impedance flexibility.

If it we're me, I'd rather have the switchable channels, it's a personal preference. If the TS doesn't need the added channels, then he should definitely take a look at the Mig or Red Bear.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Bugera, no doubt - amazing amps.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Quote by _KurtCobain_77
I have played the Mig100, and it's an AMAZING amp, but it lacks the dedicated clean channel, this makes it less versatile especially in a gig situation when you need your cleans to switch to Brootalz in a split second. The Bugera is more versatile because it has the channel switching, dedicated EQ's (on the 6262 and 333/333XL), and impedance flexibility.

If it we're me, I'd rather have the switchable channels, it's a personal preference. If the TS doesn't need the added channels, then he should definitely take a look at the Mig or Red Bear.

or he could get a pedal to run in front of the amp, and utilize rolling off the volume knob.
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
Okay, I'm going with the Bugera, so you guys can quit your arguing.
For sale:
Schecter C1 Classic.
Schecter 007 Elite.
Randall G2 Head.
Crate 4x12 cab.
Line 6 POD XT.
Samson PG2200 power amp.
sigh...another loss.
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
Quote by pmeg568c
have you ever played any of the amps i mentioned? He can't get any of those amps you listed in his price range except for the ones already mentioned. I personally dislike mesa boogie because they suck your tone and make everything sound flat and fizzy, which some people like but i don't.

ಠ_ಠ

How does an amp suck tone?

And yeah, a Valveking would need alot of work to really get BTBAM. Your best choice, OP, would either be a Bugera or a Peavey XXX, or an Ultra.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta

And how is an entire brand fizzy and flat? A highly respected brand at that.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by Raijouta
ಠ_ಠ

And yeah, a Valveking would need alot of work to really get BTBAM. Your best choice, OP, would either be a Bugera or a Peavey XXX, or an Ultra.

because mesa's make everything flat and undynamic because of they way their tube rectifier works.
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
But not all Mesas have tube rectifiers...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
ok specifically any of the mesa rectifier series. and lets be honest. when you think mesa, that is what comes to mind.
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
Actually, when I think Mesa, a dozen amps come to mind - the Stiletto series, the F series, the DC series, the Mark series, the Recto series, the Express series, Lonestars, the Road Kings...

But it's not cool to leave such a broad statement as "all mesas are dynamically flat and undynamic". Lots of people share similar sentiments about the Recto series (particularly the 3-channel models) so I guess I understand now.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
i don't think i said all mesa's. Im not really a huge fan of mesa's high gain stuff in general, although i do love the lonestars. those are awesome. it was more to steer the user away from a high gain mesa for his style.
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
Quote by pmeg568c
sigh...another loss.

Oh Noes! someone does not agree with your opinion and has their own set of ears to decide for themselves what tones they like!

Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
actually, im upset because instead of looking for a better amp he went with the easy way out. if he had played any of the other amps i mentioned there is NO WAY in hell he would have bought a bugera...

you can't decide what tone you like better if you only play one thing...
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
Last edited by pmeg568c at Aug 18, 2009,
Page 1 of 2