A few questions on active pickups.

How long will the batterys typically last? What kind of difference is there in the tone compared to passive pickups? I'm considering getting either the Ibanez ART100 or ART300 but i don't like the idea of having to change batteries in my guitar.

Thanks
I hate my sig
Batteries last about 3000 hours in EMGs, not sure about ibanez stock actives though. Typically to most people they don't sound as natural, more compressed and sterile and not usually a good clean tone. They however have low noise and very clear under high gain.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by JoePerry4life
Batteries last about 3000 hours in EMGs, not sure about ibanez stock actives though. Typically to most people they don't sound as natural, more compressed and sterile and not usually a good clean tone. They however have low noise and very clear under high gain.

Wow 3000 hours. thats not bad. But don't strats have actives? aren't they known for they're clean sound?
I hate my sig
Strats have single coils, not actives, but you can get single coil actives, which can have good cleans too. But things like emg 81 and 85 have not so good cleans, but the emg 60 has nicer cleans.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by JoePerry4life
Strats have single coils, not actives, but you can get single coil actives, which can have good cleans too. But things like emg 81 and 85 have not so good cleans, but the emg 60 has nicer cleans.

Oh my bad. I thought the single coils on strats took batteries.

Are the cleans on active pickups useable? I'll be playing on the lead channel probably 80% of the time but still need the cleans
I hate my sig
a friend of mine says its best to replace actives about once a month, to keep them at their best, but depending on how long you play...idk how many hours that is. i need to replace the battery in mine tho...its been like 8 or 9 months xD
Quote by tukk04

almost forgot...
thats for you TS/n00b

Quote by timeconsumer09
No, just disregard all the posts in this thread that say that the tone is noticeably worse when it's dying...

i should have read the thread
I'd bring a box of 9 volts on stage if I had a guitar with active pickups.

All the major points have been said, EMG actives get roughly 3000 hours on a single battery. You get a higher output with these pickups, depending on the magnets and wiring you don't get very nice cleans and they sound pretty much the same as the other guitar that the guy from that one metal band has. You know?

Active pickups are very good for distorted (Br00t4Lz) tone, so if you're playing leads a lot, you're leads will blow your rhythm guitarist, bassist and to some extent, vocals and drums out of the water and into freaking space without the proper adjustments.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n

All the major points have been said, EMG actives get roughly 3000 hours on a single battery. You get a higher output with these pickups, depending on the magnets and wiring you don't get very nice cleans and they sound pretty much the same as the other guitar that the guy from that one metal band has. You know?

Active pickups are very good for distorted (Br00t4Lz) tone, so if you're playing leads a lot, you're leads will blow your rhythm guitarist, bassist and to some extent, vocals and drums out of the water and into freaking space without the proper adjustments.

...That almost sounds like a good thing.
If you want cleans, I'd suggest upgrade the neck to an EMG 60. The 85 has passable cleans too, only the 81 has bad cleans. You should be fine just learn how to use your volume knob on your guitar.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
^^ Quite possible that it is.

Especially when you get into your solo and end up just totally rocking out and forgetting that the solo is only supposed to be 20 seconds long and the song ends up being 20 minutes long because of your 18 minute solo.

(Purely sarcasm >.>
3000 hours? I don't buy it, more like 300 hours if you're lucky.

Batteries are considered dead after a half of volt drop. I replace mine when it goes below 9 volts. I've heard about others keeping it till about 8 volts but when mine go under 9 volts my cleans start getting gritty. I'm using SD Blackouts.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
I use Seymour Duncan Blackouts, and if you want good cleans AND good distortion, they are the way to be.
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Quote by r0ckth3d34n

Ok. Well I'm not looking to blow them into freaking space just yet.. they already are complaining I'm too loud I'll probably stick with passives for now. I might get the ART100 or the Art2EX1. Thanks guys
I hate my sig
i heard 1500 hours total somewhere. i forget where and for what pickups though.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Active pickups are a very specialized tool. They're for people that know inside-out how they work, what they're for and how to use them. They have a very specific use with specific types of gear and any other rig will render them useless.

I don't mean this in a rude way, but the very fact you had to even ask how different they'd sound to passive pickups tells me that active pickups will be completely wrong for you.

For future reference, the point of active pickups is they allow you to naturally drive a valve amp as hard as possible with minimum noise, without using boost pedals or preamp gain. That is there one and only point. Some people have used them with very, very special amps and some mods to produce an ultra-clean tone instead, useful to some jazz players. That's an even more specific rig than using actives for heavy distortion though.
Basically, if you use pedals, don't get actives. If you use preamp gain, don't use actives. If your amp isn't naturally medium or high gain, don't use actives. If you don't use pickup-driven amp distortion, don't use active pickups. if you don't fully crank your amp - and I do mean cranking everything to maximum - do not use actives.

Active pickups give a great, unbeatable tone when they're set up and played with the exact right kind of rig, but for 99.99% of people's rigs they will be inferior to passive pickups. If you have to ask about them, they're not for you.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Totally agree with the above post...I had the zakk setup in a lp custom and it sounded good with only certain pedals and amps....like it sounded good with an sd-1 but not a ds-1...and threw a fuzz face it was horrible....it seemed to 1 dimensional so I sold the guitar
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think