I mean the title is self explanatory but like I am often told I have some really solid "riffs" I come up with. So whats the properties of say a good lead compared to just a little riff?

Also could you tell me ways to change up your leads but still make them flow well with the rhythm tracks and such?
I once read that a lick is a short phrase of some kind, whereas it becomes a riff once it's repeated several times (like a motif). For example, a lick could be a short blues filler at the end of a verse that's more of a "one-off" kind of thing, while a riff would be the intro to Smoke On The Water.

A lead is basically just a solo. It implies a state of being more extended than licks or riffs; I mean, how often do you hear a one bar solo? However, "lead" could also just refer to the state of playing lead guitar. For example, the "lead" could be playing a riff. Hopefully that's not too complex!
Quote by zephyrclaw
For example, a lick could be a short blues filler at the end of a verse that's more of a "one-off" kind of thing

Wouldn't that be a fill

A lead is generally just a part that follows the melody of the song whereas the riff would be played "behind" the melody keeping the timing, rhythm and tempo going.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
The rhythm is generally played over and over to provide the tempo, lead guitar generally tends to play at a higher pitch to bring more variation to the song
Quote by Deep*Kick
Wouldn't that be a fill

A lead is generally just a part that follows the melody of the song whereas the riff would be played "behind" the melody keeping the timing, rhythm and tempo going.

Wouldn't it depend? A fill can be a lick that's inserted as a quick interlude sort of thing between the end of a verse and the start of the next section. It was just an example, so excuse the choice of wording.

Fine, basically a lick is a short (generally lead) guitar phrase in a song. Is that more preferable and to your liking?