I played a Squier today and I think I've fallen in love.

Now I know that a lot of the 'budget' brands get a lot of hate here and on bass forums, and so I was wondering what people thought of them.

Am I getting a knock-off Fender or will I get a good instrument in its own right?
Squiers fine.

you're an idiot no doubt, but Squier has nothing to do with that.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
No you're perfectly sane, my main gigging bass has been a Squier Standard Jazz bass for at least 3 years now.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
I played a Squier today and I think I've fallen in love.

Now I know that a lot of the 'budget' brands get a lot of hate here and on bass forums, and so I was wondering what people thought of them.

Am I getting a knock-off Fender or will I get a good instrument in its own right?

if it plays nice, and you like it, there is no reason not to buy it. it's just a label on a piece of wood, FFS. it doesn't make it a good or bad guitar.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Squier makes nicer basses than guitars, I hear.
But some of the high-end Squiers (the ones that are like 300 bucks) are supposedly good instruments.

So, are you an idiot?
I guess it depends on what Squier you've fallen for.
Quote by Venice King
Yes you are.

No you're not.

Some Squier basses are very playable, in particular the Vintage Modified Series. Some people have preferred these to MIMs so I think this is perfectly reasonable.
signature
A frickin men...

I'm thinking of buying a Squier to complement a Warwick Corvette $$...

Fender wont make a passive P with a J bass neck
Quote by LordBishek
Vibrators, Schmibrators. They can't ignore my girth.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

This. It's not the name on the headstock, it's how everything fits together and feels.
Being a lefty freaking sucks- you either get stuck paying a fortune or you're stuck with crappy basses.

This Squier is a winner though.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Curiously it's the Vintage Modern that I want...

the maple body and Duncan D's give it a certain brightness...

EDIT: Aerodyne is passive P/J with a jazz neck. and it looks BEASTLY.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Last edited by the humanity at Aug 17, 2009,
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Being a lefty freaking sucks- you either get stuck paying a fortune or you're stuck with crappy basses.

This Squier is a winner though.

lefty? why not buy a Hofner?

but in al seriousness, i know your pain. being a left sucks when it comes to gear. someday, i will start a company exclusively for lefties. make the bitchinest instruments, and never make them in righty.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
You're an idiot, but it's for things like saying you're UG's main worship bassist and constantly getting Pit owned, not for loving Squier.

Rivalry and bitterness aside, I do like Squiers, and plan on buying a Classic Vibe 60's P.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Oh, and something I forgot to say. If you have to ASK if you're an idiot, chances are that's about right...
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Quote by the humanity
the maple body and Duncan D's give it a certain brightness...

EDIT: Aerodyne is passive P/J with a jazz neck. and it looks BEASTLY.

How does it nail the traditional P bass sound...

I'm wanting a P for the express purpose of stringing it with flats for the old burpy (is that even a word???) punchy tone.

EDIT:
Quote by Mutant Corn

True, but I cant handle painted necks... and its a bit expensive for my meager budget.

(the vette was a present from my girlfriend)
Quote by LordBishek
Last edited by Brodie337 at Aug 17, 2009,
Quote by Brodie337
How does it nail the traditional P bass sound...

I'm wanting a P for the express purpose of stringing it with flats for the old burpy (is that even a word???) punchy tone.

it has a bit of a natural mid hump. if you EQ right, it will make it sound a bit more old school. it's a transparent enough wood that it will be able to sound like alder. it should get that tone you want.

perfect? maybe not. but really close.

for an exact sound, an old school sounding pickup + split coil pickguard + a standard jazz bass will be great for you. if you head that route, I'd like to suggest Nordstrand. their life is sounding a little dusty.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
it has a bit of a natural mid hump. if you EQ right, it will make it sound a bit more old school. it's a transparent enough wood that it will be able to sound like alder. it should get that tone you want.

perfect? maybe not. but really close.

for an exact sound, an old school sounding pickup + split coil pickguard + a standard jazz bass will be great for you. if you head that route, I'd like to suggest Nordstrand. their life is sounding a little dusty.

Does a P pickup fit on a Jazz bass in the right position? If so, I really want one, because I prefer the Jazz body
Quote by LordBishek
Quote by Brodie337
Does a P pickup fit on a Jazz bass in the right position? If so, I really want one, because I prefer the Jazz body

http://www.warmoth.com/Pickguard/JBassPickguard.aspx

notice you can change the pickup routing, along with a sexy red pearl, if you get a white bass . btw- they made the j-bass originally as an upgrade of the P-bass, so they left the neck pickup as the same route.

you will be pleased with your result. as long as you, personally, don't mess it up. which wont happen if you don't be careful.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

*fangirl squeal*
Quote by LordBishek
You are not an idiot.

Squirs are good if theyre set up properly.
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
you're an idiot no doubt, but Squier has nothing to do with that.

i laughed loud
Originally Posted by Twist of fate
I thought the "clean" button was to clean out the inside of the amp automatically, so I never pressed it.

Originally Posted by DjBrandenburg
pedals are stupid
Quote by joehhy
Squier makes nicer basses than guitars, I hear.
That may be partly true, but I ****ing love my Squier Affinity Series Tele. The quality of the build isn't that great, but it sounds great.

Squiers are definately great for their price. I'm really impressed with some of their basses. The only reason I don't own one is it's not really an upgrade for me at this point. Ah hell, that's a lie. I'm just really picky about my basses. The only basses I've played that I really like are the American Vintage Jazz and the American Deluxe Jazz.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
There's a particular charm, I think, to a cheap instrument. I'd rather have a bunch of cheap players than one snazzy bass I'm scared to take to a party any day.