Do you think its possible? Because this is the album I ultimately want to learn how to play, but I'd rather not buy a 7 string guitar (I just don't like them much).
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Quote by Guitar2theface
Do you think its possible? Because this is the album I ultimately want to learn how to play, but I'd rather not buy a 7 string guitar (I just don't like them much).

Some of them definitely are (For The Love Of God and Sisters at least) but as for the rest I don't know and, of course, you'll be needing an FR that can stand some heavy use.

Quote by MLilienthal
If you tune down to B

Not sure how well this applies as well, everyone knows Vai is a fan of the high meedley lead work so it might very well be that in some songs you need the low B and the highest E on the 24th fret.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Aug 17, 2009,
Well the songs I most want to learn are Liberty, Erotic Nightmares, Blue Powder and The Audience is Listening (that idk if they need a 7th string or not). I'm saving for a nice Ibanez RG Prestige with a FR and really, that's what I'd like.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Quote by Guitar2theface
Well the songs I most want to learn are Liberty, Erotic Nightmares, Blue Powder and The Audience is Listening (that idk if they need a 7th string or not). I'm saving for a nice Ibanez RG Prestige with a FR and really, that's what I'd like.

Ah, I forgot about the Audience Is Listening... that's definitely doable in terms of the parts Vai plays himself live, as for the rhythm parts that Dave Weiner plays when they do it I have no idea but Vai used a 6 string for the performance on the G3 Tokyo DVD.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
alot of rhythm parts need a 7, but as far as covering the entire album with one 6 six string in the same tuning (i'm referring to B standard for the six string parts.) without changing, unless you can bend the 24th fret up 2 1/2-3 whole steps, you're screwed.

i believe there are several parts, especially in for the love of god, that require quick hitting of the 24th fret, so you're pretty much out of luck.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
i play most of that album on a 6 string (the only ones i don`t play are the riddle and alien water kiss primarily `cos there just too weird although i`ve attempted the riddle)
Quote by ibanezgod1973
i play most of that album on a 6 string (the only ones i don`t play are the riddle and alien water kiss primarily `cos there just too weird although i`ve attempted the riddle)

Same here.......but the riddle is one of the coolest ones to try and play.

I think Blue Powder is prob the best song on that album.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Blue Powder can be played on a 6 string, Vai does it live. Not sure about the other songs though
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
erotic nightmares,blue powder,liberty,ftlog,answers,the animal

those are the ones i`ve seen him play his parts live on a 6 but Dave Weiner is normally on the 7 the only one i can definatly say vai uses the 7 on live is bad horsie and that`s not on this album

@srob- where`ve you been hiding lol,best song on the album....imo erotic nightmares
I'm here god1973 - have I told you lately that I hate you and your guitar collection??

Yea, out of the 4 times I've seen Vai live, he has not once ever used a 7-string live. He uses a 6 string for everything, but he does the lead, so he can pull it off.

I think even in the Astoria DVD he even uses a 6 string for Bad Horsie, it's like I've said. Vai loves his harmonizer, run in stero, so he will switch to that and use a harmony that basically makes the Low E sound like a Low B for the 7 string parts. It's the only way he could possibly use a 6 string for 7 string parts, or he has his whammy pedal set a 5th lower so when he steps on it it makes all pitches a 5th lower.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by srob7001
I'm here god1973 - have I told you lately that I hate you and your guitar collection??

Yea, out of the 4 times I've seen Vai live, he has not once ever used a 7-string live. He uses a 6 string for everything, but he does the lead, so he can pull it off.

I think even in the Astoria DVD he even uses a 6 string for Bad Horsie, it's like I've said. Vai loves his harmonizer, run in stero, so he will switch to that and use a harmony that basically makes the Low E sound like a Low B for the 7 string parts. It's the only way he could possibly use a 6 string for 7 string parts, or he has his whammy pedal set a 5th lower so when he steps on it it makes all pitches a 5th lower.

Bad Horsie is played on a 6 string tuned to Drop C anyway...

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.