Page 1 of 2
I was just sitting here, eating nachos and drinking sprite, and i remembered a time when i was jamming with some buddies. I was using a pick. The saxophonist (it was a ska jam) was like, "dude, you use a pick!?!?" In response, I dropped my pick, and continued playing whatever riff it was i was playing with my fingers. "I can do both."

Whats with all these people judging on playing skills based on their methods? Does playing with a pick make you less of a bassist? Why am i asking the pit these questions?
No, but playing bass makes you less of a musician.

<_<

>_>

Seriously, though, you're gonna need a pick for some bass parts. Also, as long as it sounds good (or people can hear you at all), it's fine.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
Justin Chancellor

That is all.
DOESN'T REALLY CARE ABOUT RON WILSON
I'll occasionally pick up the bass at band practice when we're just kinda chillin, I'll play with fingers or pick depending on what I'm playing. It's not a good or bad thing to use a pick, it's just a personal preference.
BRIAN. SCHNEIDER.
If its good, then I don't care. If its my old bassist. Oh jesus, he was terrible.

He used a pick for slow parts, every bassline was the same dddd,gggg,aaaa,gggg, and he used to write songs around those basslines.
They both have their pros and cons and are ideal in different but equally important situations.

But in the end, its still bass.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
I don't think it sounds as good with a pick. But if you're playing the song right, you shouldn't be able to hear it anyway, so it really doesn't matter
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
I see no problem with it, it's a preference.

Though, I prefer fingered basses, myself.
there's no right or wrong way, it just depends on preference and style.

plus i find the people who tend to make the comment about playing with a pick don't actually play bass at all.
Gibson Les Paul Custom Black Beauty
Tokai LC53 Les Paul Custom
Tokai ALS48 Love Rock Les Paul Standard
Marshall DSL-50 Head
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
I don't see why the people not playing the bass care as long as it sounds good. I like the sharper sound a pick tends to get personally.
Quote by ChemicalFire
He was too stunned by my fresh truths.

Quote by GodofCheesecake
"And I would've gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you darn kids and your meddling and your breakadowns!"

Quote by Nakedbythecomp
Metal is a sub-genre of metalcore since metalcore is more popular therefore better.
Quote by JacobTheMe
If its good, then I don't care. If its my old bassist. Oh jesus, he was terrible.

He used a pick for slow parts, every bassline was the same dddd,gggg,aaaa,gggg, and he used to write songs around those basslines.

LOL, my band is in the same boat, but we are even worse off, our basslines are:
Root note, ROOT NOTE, root note, root note,ROOT NOTE, root note.

And so on and so forth. (To get an accurate feel for it make random, unstructured pauses between whole note roots to get the rhythm down.) lol.
You get different sounds with the different styles. Picks make for a sharper attack, while fingers produce a more mellow tone. Each has their own time and place.
Quote by TDS
Justin Chancellor

That is all.

i was thinking the same thing.

you just cant get that percussive element with fingers, likewise you cant get a smoother sound with a pick.
Quote by justinrobbins7
*unzipppp* "Deal with this, wench."

Quote by Mazzakazza
Ug Knows 1000% More About Scrotal Sacs Than Real Doctors.
Hm Let Me Investigate. You Has The Painful Scroties? You Has Aids.
Next Plz.
In my band that I'm the bassist in, I mainly use a pick. But we play Alt Punk/indie stuff. I do occasionally use my fingers on our slower songs, as it sounds better that way.
Paul McCartney used a pick and in my band we play a lot of Beatles songs so I use a pick most of the time.
edit:Jimmy Page also used a pick when he played the bass in The Yardbirds.
Utah's Token Black Guy
Last edited by codyadamscea at Aug 17, 2009,
well yeah, i know the difference in sound, i dont need to hear about that 20 times.
but people who make a huge fuss over it just tick me off.
thats all im saying. i needed a release, and it happened to be the pit.
Quote by joehhy
well yeah, i know the difference in sound, i dont need to hear about that 20 times.
but people who make a huge fuss over it just tick me off.
thats all im saying. i needed a release, and it happened to be the pit.

Its okay.

Anybody that makes to big of a deal about it is stupid. Sometimes I like my bassist using a pick because it just makes the bass more noticable.
For metal I personally like the sharper sound from a pick.
Proud owner of a Les Paul
I have the same opinion of a bassist using a pick as I do a guitarist using his fingers.....

I don't care. lol
I think that anyone who insists on using a pick all the time or insists on never using a pick is a fool.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
"I bet you use one of them fancy processors... what if I told you I could get the same sound just by using a pick?"

Complete ftw
"We are not concerned with motive, with higher ethics. We are concerned only with cutting down crime-."
To be honest, a pick lets you play faster, and the tone is different. more defined.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by codyadamscea
Paul McCartney used a pick and in my band we play a lot of Beatles songs so I use a pick most of the time.
edit:Jimmy Page also used a pick when he played the bass in The Yardbirds.

If it's good enough for Macca, it's good enough for me.
They credited us with the birth of that sort of heavy metal thing. Well, if that's the case, there should be an immediate abortion.

-Ginger Baker
I prefer it to be fingered than picked at
Bands I must see in concert
Silvertide
The Black Crowes
Jackyl
Black Stone Cherry
AC/DC
StoneRider
Freedomhawk
The Darkness and/or the sideprojects of the band members
Buckcherry
The Answer

Theres more. But those are the main ones
There are valid reasons that one may use a pick, and they don't make you any less of a bassist. One being that picking the strings with a pick sounds different than finger picking them.
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
Depends on the type of music, dudes. Use a pick for the punchy sound in metal and punk, use fingers for rock and blues, slap it for funk, etc.

Though these are not hard, fast rules. You can really do whatever you're comfortable with for any type of music.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
Quote by monkeysintheday
It's not a good or bad thing to use a pick, it's just a personal preference.

This

If you like the tone and feel of using a pick then use one. If you don't like the tone or feel than don't use one.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Quote by Våd Hamster
I can't play bass with a pick.

Same.
Well, I can, but the fingers make for such more mobility and stuff.
I like the muddy sound from the fingers too.

And I can easily switch between slapping and not.
Follow the smoke toward the riff filled land
brutal
the only good bass is slap bass.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Eh, depends. Some songs just don't sound right without a pick and vice versa.
Tonight, we stagger out from the basement...

I'm sick of not having the courage to be an absolute nobody.

...Or fall to our deaths from above
I play with fingers majority of the time. But whenever i'm playing something my fingers can't go fast enough for, then i use a pick.
Rojam's new and improved band!!!!

Listen a little bit, we DON'T suck!
i dont care as long as the bass sounds good.
There is a war going on for your mind.

If you are thinking, you are winning.

Resistance is victory.

We are building up a new world.
Do not sit idly by.
I think they're just people, like you and I
who wake up every morning, and go about their daily lives.
Picking and Finger-picking are both just techniques; that's like saying you're less of a bassist because you can tap. I think it's best to learn every technique possible, especially finger-picking and picking, because they are both very common, and they each get different tones.
Page 1 of 2