OK I've been playing guitar for about 4 years and I still really can't tell or describe the difference between a Flange effect and a Phase effect. I know, kinda sad. I know they can sound really different when you have the settings tweaked differently but sometimes they sound a lot alike too. So can anyone please explain to me how they're different?
Flanger sounds like a jet. Phaser sounds like a WHOOSHwhoosh
Quote by Rockford_rocks
HENDRIX WAS NOT MEANT TO GO WOOBLYWOOBLYWOOBLYWOOBLY!

phaser makes the tone kind of woooooooooooooossssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhoooooooooo

flanger makes it go woooooooooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuwwwwwwwwwwww

best i can explain

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
so a flanger has a longer sweep effect but shallower...and a phaser is quick and deep. is that right?
Quote by boboguitar

Haha, that's an awesome way to put it.

You just got sig'd.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Flanger is a time based effect, while a phaser is a phase based effect.

a flanger workd with very short delay times, almost like a chorus, to create a jet plane effect. IIRC, the earliest use of this was on "Bold As Love" during the Coda. he wanted to sound like he was playing under water. the engineer had two tapes running simultaneously, and he pressed on on one of the tapes to slow it down and VIOLA! the flange effect was born.

a phaser works by sweeping through the phase of the instrument's frequencies to create a swirling effect. I'm not sure where is originated, but it's been around for a while.

sound wise, a Phaser is generally warmer sounding with a darker tone, while a Flanger sounds more icy and tends to be more dramatic
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
I was under the impression that a phaser is a side to side motion and a flanger is an up and down motion...

to be more specific, flanger is more of a wah effect of slowly rocking it from top to bottom (treble to bass)...whereas phaser would be a side to side from speaker to speaker in a stereo setup

I could be VERY wrong here, just what I thought when I heard the noise

EDIT
very good example of what i'm talking about phase-wise would be tools 10000 days and wings for marie, with headphones on, you can hear the noise back and forth from headphone to headphone swirling through your brain.....
Peavey JSX 120 Half Stack
Mockingbird Evil Edge SE
Mockingbird Special(White)

Set sail to sea but pulled off course by the light of golden treasure --Hetfield, the Unforgiven Pirate

So I dub Thee Unforgiven Three! -How it should have been
Last edited by thedekker at Aug 17, 2009,
Quote by thedekker
I was under the impression that a phaser is a side to side motion and a flanger is an up and down motion...

to be more specific, flanger is more of a wah effect of slowly rocking it from top to bottom (treble to bass)...whereas phaser would be a side to side from speaker to speaker in a stereo setup

I could be VERY wrong here, just what I thought when I heard the noise

see my post.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by boboguitar

Yup flanger sounds like a jet

but Phaser imo sounds like an explosion.
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
I love these phaser vs flanger threads because nobody can actually describe the difference no matter how hard they try.
JHachey was pretty much on the ball except some minor details.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
What a phaser does is splits the signal into identical copies and sends one to an all-pass filter which changes the phase. When it's added back, some frequencies are out-of-phase, thereby cancelling them out. When you vary the phase of the second signal over time, it creates that wooshing tone because you're sweeping out the low-end, then middle, then high-end, and back.

A flanger is actually a type of phasing, except the peaks and troughs in the frequency spectrum are created by adding the dry signal with a time-delayed version of itself. When you vary delay time, you get the flange tone. One difference is that the peaks and troughs are in harmonic series in a flanger, because you're adding a uniformly time-delayed signal back into the dry signal.

Here's a picture of a spectrogram of phaser and flanger applied to white noise.
Last edited by Mitchell? at Aug 17, 2009,
OK how about some song samples so that way we can tell a distinct difference?

like Unchained is a Flanger right?
what song has a good Phaser in it?
TALK TO GOD HERE --->

ME:
So you're gonna end the world soon?
GOD:
Interesting deduction. That was my original intention.
ME:
Well don't.
GOD:
Well that's okay. OK I will not.

Earth's fate saved in sig = EPIC WIN!!!
The Appleseed Cast - Mare Mortis.

Just listen to the first few seconds. I think that's a EHX Small Stone, IIRC.
Just youtube it, you lazy sap!

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
yeah i could have huh?
haha! but i wanted to see what the UG forums had to say!
TALK TO GOD HERE --->

ME:
So you're gonna end the world soon?
GOD:
Interesting deduction. That was my original intention.
ME:
Well don't.
GOD:
Well that's okay. OK I will not.

Earth's fate saved in sig = EPIC WIN!!!
Quote by RaySolava
OK how about some song samples so that way we can tell a distinct difference?

like Unchained is a Flanger right?
what song has a good Phaser in it?

any solo off of Van Halen I.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater