I have been playing guitar for about 4 years and should probably get into theory. Just one problem, the entire thing seems overwhelming, is there any place I should start before I should jump into Guitar Theory? I want to start writing music but again, I don't know where or how to start. I would prefer to write music on guitar that is actually decent, and not simple power chords.
Last edited by 7grant2 at Aug 17, 2009,
First learn your notes on the fretboard.
You should start off by major scale.
Then make scale building. (and intervals)
And then do minor melodic and harmonic scale.
After that you learn chord building. (and triads)
You use all that knowledge into to learn modes

This should be enought to get you started( even more than started)
Sorryz for me bad engrish.

Quote by OnlyIbanez12
I just cut myself shaving my pubes...
Last edited by Geezus at Aug 17, 2009,
Quote by hunterman
C major scale and the notes on the fretboard
Triads
Intervals

Yea notes on the fretboard should be a priority if you don't know them.

Ant you should learn intervals before triads (on my first post, I included intervals in scale building and triads in chord building)

Quote by OnlyIbanez12
You can learn almost nothing more important than the Circle of Fifths. That's where the whole world of theory opens up. Learn well young comrade. None of it is as difficult as you may believe. I promise. It just takes a lot of sitting down and willing to study.
"We programmed in death...A thousand needles lie here to inject their lies."
Quote by Geezus
Yea notes on the fretboard should be a priority if you don't know them.

Ant you should learn intervals before triads (on my first post, I included intervals in scale building and triads in chord building)
I am learning notes on the fretboard as we speak. It is quite simple, everything is a whole step besides from E to F and B to C.
And just to get you started.. A power chord is often referred to as a 5th. Any chord with a 5 next to it is a power chord. Have fun!
"We programmed in death...A thousand needles lie here to inject their lies."
Quote by Killswitch666
You can learn almost nothing more important than the Circle of Fifths. That's where the whole world of theory opens up. Learn well young comrade. None of it is as difficult as you may believe. I promise. It just takes a lot of sitting down and willing to study.
With the amount of free time I have, it should be no problem. But now is not the time to do so, tomorrow I start High School .
Quote by Killswitch666

I actually never learned the circle of fifth (well I do know my key signature and everything but I never use the circle).

If you were to learn key signature (with or without circle of fifths) I would suggest you to do it after or at the same time as scale building. (and i'd suggest you to learn to read note before key signature.)

Quote by Killswitch666
And just to get you started.. A power chord is often referred to as a 5th. Any chord with a 5 next to it is a power chord. Have fun!

I already said it ; intervals are with scale building.

Quote by 7grant2
I am learning notes on the fretboard as we speak. It is quite simple, everything is a whole step besides from E to F and B to C.

Great! and you should may be learn to read notes too.(it might helps)

Quote by 7grant2
With the amount of free time I have, it should be no problem. But now is not the time to do so, tomorrow I start High School .

when I started to learn theory by my own, I bought myself that excellent learning book called Barbara Wharam (or something like that),which i strongly recommend you, and I was completing the book during my classes

Quote by OnlyIbanez12
Quote by Geezus

Great! and you should may be learn to read notes too.(it might helps)

I did play Violin for 2 years, so I can manage to read notes. Probably not very well for guitar though...
just read the crusades, once you are comfortable with the crusades its good idea to get a book on harmony.

by the way most seem to be telling you to learn the notes on the fretboard, i never did this and i don't see how it would enhance your learning of theory. Your best idea as far as learning the fretboard is to just learn where all the octaves are. also this post helped a lot: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=308518