Would it fit correctly or would the scale length get really messed up? It's a replacement for a starcaster. Please don't dissuade me. I understand starcasters suck, but I like it and want to do a complete makeover. The neck is crap. All the frets need filing, the nut is sticking out, the neck has blemishes, etc etc. If I can't, I can just use a 22 fretter right?

Also, any place to get decent necks like super cheap? Like 50 bucks? Are eden necks any good?
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Last edited by apak at Aug 17, 2009,
The 24 fretter will most likely not fit, but a 22 fret with an overlap should. plus a 24 fret would have problems with hitting the neck pup
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
It all depends on the scale length of the neck. If it's a 25.5", then yes it would fit.

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
But the overhang isnt the same as it would be on a 22 or 21 fret neck, so wouldnt it be in a different place in the pocket?
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
with a 24 fretter you may have problems with the scale, but also with the neck pickup; as brock said, if it it 25.5" (your guitar) then it may work.

For cheap necks you can always rely on Guitar Fetish

http://store.guitarfetish.com/necks.html

http://store.guitarfetish.com/flroconeandb.html

http://store.guitarfetish.com/necks1.html
"Terrible wars have been fought where millions have died for one idea, freedom. And it seems that something that means so much to so many people would be worth having." -Andrew Martin (Bicentennial Man)
I know you said not to dissuade you, but it probably won't work. If there's a massive overlap, it'll cover your neck pickup entirely, and those top frets will be really hard to reach. If there isn't a massive overlap, then it's not going to be the right scale, and will never intonate properly.

The best advice I can give (not the advice you want) is to scrap this idea. Starcasters use particleboard instead of wood, and will probably give you fits if you try to sand, drill, route, or carve it. Get yourself a Squier Affinity strat - it's probably the cheapest guitar that uses wood good enough to bother modding. Then get yourself a 24-fret neck with the massive overhang, and carve out the lower bout so it's deep enough to reach the upper frets. Oh, and use some plastic wood to fill the hole where the neck pickup used to go.

It's still a cheap project, and the wood will be good enough that you can play it for years, until you can afford the Jackson or whatever you're trying to create. Doing this with a Starcaster is a total waste of money.

If you still want to do something with the Starcaster, have a blast stripping it and repainting it. The thing is designed so terribly though, that it'll never sound good no matter what you do with it, short of jacking the action waaaay up to play slide.
Quote by jean_genie
I know you said not to dissuade you, but it probably won't work. If there's a massive overlap, it'll cover your neck pickup entirely, and those top frets will be really hard to reach. If there isn't a massive overlap, then it's not going to be the right scale, and will never intonate properly.

The best advice I can give (not the advice you want) is to scrap this idea. Starcasters use particleboard instead of wood, and will probably give you fits if you try to sand, drill, route, or carve it. Get yourself a Squier Affinity strat - it's probably the cheapest guitar that uses wood good enough to bother modding. Then get yourself a 24-fret neck with the massive overhang, and carve out the lower bout so it's deep enough to reach the upper frets. Oh, and use some plastic wood to fill the hole where the neck pickup used to go.

It's still a cheap project, and the wood will be good enough that you can play it for years, until you can afford the Jackson or whatever you're trying to create. Doing this with a Starcaster is a total waste of money.

If you still want to do something with the Starcaster, have a blast stripping it and repainting it. The thing is designed so terribly though, that it'll never sound good no matter what you do with it, short of jacking the action waaaay up to play slide.

haha. I think it sounds good. It's my first guitar. There's some sentimental value! I know it's crappy, but I like it (maybe because of some biases). And if I wanted to mod another strat, I'd buy a mim used. I can do it, but I just want to mod what I already have and love (lol..... ). I'll just go with the 22 frets. I was just wondering because a lot of good looking cheap necks are 24 for some reason.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
i'm surprised nobody mentioned warmoth.com/ makes strat necks in all shapes in sizes, although a bit expensive.

but besides that,

Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Fender Frontman 25R
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

^^^^^^^^^^
why wouldn't you just use this!?
Quote by Steve46
thanks alot ice condition!! your the breast!

The best bosom in all of UG.
Quote by ice condition
i'm surprised nobody mentioned warmoth.com/ makes strat necks in all shapes in sizes, although a bit expensive.

but besides that,

Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Fender Frontman 25R
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

^^^^^^^^^^
why wouldn't you just use this!?

maybe because I want to just mod my guitar for fun and so I can actually use it and have another beater for different tuning? Maybe. Just maybe..

And sarcasm aside, I enjoy doing mods like switching out pickups and stuff like that, so it's just another project to tackle my boredom.

and warmoth is way too expensive. I'm not really looking to upgrade the neck. just to get one that's built more decently and feels better.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
^ i'm sure i probably deserved that.

but for a beater with a different tuning, personally, i would go with a hello kitty guitar. just to be a jackass. which you could put a 24 fret neck on without having to worry about it overlapping the neck pickup. and also, from what i've heard, it's better quality than most other squeer's.
Quote by Steve46

Quote by bv310
It all depends on the scale length of the neck. If it's a 25.5", then yes it would fit.

I don't get what you're saying. Just because a neck is 25.5 scale, doesn't mean it will mount in the same place in the body. A 24 fret neck is obviously longer than a 21 fret and thus the pocket in the body must be closer to the bridge.

So no, a 24 fret neck will not fit. Unless you have a neck with a ridiculous fretboard extension which would require removing the neck pickup.
Why buy and mod an MIM Strat when you'd have many of the same issues. Just buy a used Jackson, LTD, Schecter, or Ibanez from a pawn shop and have money left over for new electronics. Many of them will already have a floyd rose; actual Strats don't take FRs too well and the Starcaster won't even fit it at all 'cause it's too thin.

If you want to work on the Starcaster, then why don't you just refret the neck, or at least dress it. Go to www.stewmack.com for the parts and tools.

Swapping out necks isn't as easy as it sounds--most will need work to fit, and paying a luthier to do that would probably cost more than the cheap neck.
Quote by Metalhead_28
I don't get what you're saying. Just because a neck is 25.5 scale, doesn't mean it will mount in the same place in the body. A 24 fret neck is obviously longer than a 21 fret and thus the pocket in the body must be closer to the bridge.

So no, a 24 fret neck will not fit. Unless you have a neck with a ridiculous fretboard extension which would require removing the neck pickup.

The Fender 24 fret necks do all have a ridiculous fretboard extension and you would have to move the neck pup; but why bother when you won't be able to reach those frets anyway? They'll fit with a lot work but why bother?
Quote by jetwash69
Why buy and mod an MIM Strat when you'd have many of the same issues. Just buy a used Jackson, LTD, Schecter, or Ibanez from a pawn shop and have money left over for new electronics. Many of them will already have a floyd rose; actual Strats don't take FRs too well and the Starcaster won't even fit it at all 'cause it's too thin.

If you want to work on the Starcaster, then why don't you just refret the neck, or at least dress it. Go to www.stewmack.com for the parts and tools.

Swapping out necks isn't as easy as it sounds--most will need work to fit, and paying a luthier to do that would probably cost more than the cheap neck.

who said i wanted a floyd? i didn't mention is but i either want a hardtail or strat trem. And I have 2 jacksons, had 2 LTD's. The jacksons are jacksons, not strats.. They're not as moddable as a starcaster, and I don't want to spend money on another guitar. I don't even have space for one. And it's not just the bad fretwork. bad nutwork and the neck is kinda uncomfortable and fat. I just like my starcaster, and I don't know why anybody has a problem with this fact. I'm throwing only a few bucks on this.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
^then i believe warmoth is your only option. (that i know of)

they're the only ones (again, that i know of) who make strat-compatable necks, with 24 fret extensions.

unless you go and build one yourself.
Quote by Steve46

Guitarfetish is a good bet if you're going for a cheap 22 fret neck.

They also sell 24 fretters, but it's not with an overhang, so you'd need to route the neck pocket (it doesn't say the scale length, but if it's going by Ibanez specs, it should).
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
Quote by apak
and warmoth is way too expensive. I'm not really looking to upgrade the neck. just to get one that's built more decently and feels better.

As far as I'm concerned, that's upgrading...
Quote by AntiG3
Guitarfetish is a good bet if you're going for a cheap 22 fret neck.

They also sell 24 fretters, but it's not with an overhang, so you'd need to route the neck pocket (it doesn't say the scale length, but if it's going by Ibanez specs, it should).

the scale length would be off. it HAS to have the frets overhang, or be a bigger scale length. but if it was bigger it'd have to be close to a bass scale length.

just because they're both 25.5 doesn't mean they'll match up, the neck pocket has to be lined up with the bridge or else it's like wearing a condom on your head. ( . . . the one on your shoulders.)

and then of course you'd suffocate. which is the same thing that happens to most people who have messed up scale lengths.

Quote by Steve46

Quote by apak
who said i wanted a floyd? i didn't mention is but i either want a hardtail or strat trem. And I have 2 jacksons, had 2 LTD's. The jacksons are jacksons, not strats.. They're not as moddable as a starcaster, and I don't want to spend money on another guitar. I don't even have space for one. And it's not just the bad fretwork. bad nutwork and the neck is kinda uncomfortable and fat. I just like my starcaster, and I don't know why anybody has a problem with this fact. I'm throwing only a few bucks on this.

I'm with you, brother.

I had plans to put a 24 fret neck on my Squier. After researching it I decided to buy a Jackson at a pawnshop instead. I waited months for the price to drop to $250, then came back. The day I went to pick it up they had a Schecter Avenger in great shape for about 50% of retail, so I bought that instead. It's nice to be able to reach the high frets.

I ended up replacing its Duncan Design pups with a Sustainiac and a real Seymour Duncan SH-8, and the DDs are going into the Squier soon in an HH config. I did a bunch of routing for new controls (Fender S-1 & concentric tone controls). The Squier's keeping its 21 fret neck and its very limited "vintage style" trem.

We'd all love to see pictures of your final product!
As said before Warmoth makes great necks that wont screw up your scale length because they have a fretboard extension rather than making the neck longer.
The Fender "HM" Strat has a 24-Fret Neck...These were mostly made in the Mid-to-Late 1980's...They (usually) had Kahler Spyder Tremolo's & were Routed for Single-Coil Pickup (Neck Position), Single-Coil Pickup (Middle Position) & then Humbucker (Bridge Position).

R.I.P.:
Randy Rhoads (December 6, 1956 – March 19, 1982)
Dimebag Darrell (August 20, 1966 – December 8, 2004)
Les Paul (June 9, 1915 – August 13, 2009)
Ronnie James Dio (July 10, 1942 – May 16, 2010)
yeah lok how squished the pickups are

if ts is desperate to do this he could move the neck pickup down it would all by hidden by a pickgaurd
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
^that and the bridge is in a different position from strat bridge's.

EDIT: nevermind, it's right, looked too quick before i posted.

but if you could somehow find the neck to one of those, that would be a good alternative to warmoth. if it's cheap, that is.
Quote by Steve46

Last edited by ice condition at Aug 19, 2009,