So i'm looking at reverb pedals. After some research i've narrowed it down to either the T-Rex Tonebug or the Tech21 RVB boost pedal. I don't really need something that does 19 different kinds of reverb, I just need something that will do good reverb from subtle reverb to some surf type reverb. So if anyone has used one of these or both i'd appreciate some input please

Thanks
Member #38 of Alter Bridge Rocks Club PM Logz to join
I'm looking for the same thing, and I checked out the Spring Chicken but it just doesn't do it for me. I want more than one knob. I'm excited to try that new Boss/Fender FRV-1 pedal. The demos have been great so far.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
I'd love to try/get the Red Reverberator, but I don't have near the budget for it unfortunately. About $150 or so is all I can put into it. The Tech21 is very tempting because of the options, but then I just think I might not take advantage of them and that the Tonebug would be the better choice. I'm not the kind of person that can tell a huge difference in cables and strings and stuff.
Only the expensive real spring reverb units sound like real reverb. Look at the EHX Holy Grail. The two modes of reverb sound pretty good and the modulated reverb is pretty nice too.
I've heard too many bad things about the Holy Grail. It may be a great pedal when it works but I want something that's also reliable.
Quote by tremonti9482
I've heard too many bad things about the Holy Grail. It may be a great pedal when it works but I want something that's also reliable.

the HG is a perfectly fine reverb. it just needs isolated power (perhaps easier said than done in some cases).
The T-Rex Tonebug is a gorgeous reverb unit. It's one of my favourites. It's a little 'simple' and won't give you the features and digital-like clarity that others have, but it's warmer and considerably more vintage.
Yeah the isolate power source would be a problem for me, I have enough trouble getting power to all my pedals as it is. The noise wouldn't be worth it to me if there are others that are just as good.

How versatile is the Tonebug? Can you get a longer surfy type reverb as well as the short subtle reverbs? If it can do that, it might be just what I need.
Quote by tremonti9482
How versatile is the Tonebug? Can you get a longer surfy type reverb as well as the short subtle reverbs? If it can do that, it might be just what I need.
It's not particularly diverse, that's what I was saying. It's really about transparently vintage tone, not features. You can see for yourself if you want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XK-iEjavq5w
If possible try to find yourself a used T.Rex Room-mate.
They've discontinued them for some reason, but they are just fantastic.
Quote by AngryGoldfish
It's not particularly diverse, that's what I was saying. It's really about transparently vintage tone, not features. You can see for yourself if you want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XK-iEjavq5w

Oh ok, I see what you mean now, I read that wrong. This shouldn't be such a difficult decision ha. I'm just not sure which to go for. On one hand, I don't think that I would really use/need all the features on the Tech21, however I feel like I might get kind of bored with the Tonebug. I may just go with the Tech21 and be done with it. I wish I could try them both.

Aren't the Roomate's like $400 or somethin? I have heard good things about them too, didn't know they were discontinued though.
Last edited by tremonti9482 at Aug 18, 2009,
Quote by Rikki DeMartini
If possible try to find yourself a used T.Rex Room-mate.
They've discontinued them for some reason, but they are just fantastic.

amen dude, amen.
The only ones I can find are like $370 on ebay unfortunately
Quote by tremonti9482
The only ones I can find are like $370 on ebay unfortunately

yeah, that's pretty much a new price... sometimes people know what they've got when they're selling. best thing you can do, if your sold on the T-Rex RM, is either pony up for it now before it gets into vintage pricing, or hold out in hopes of one in good shape showing up on e-bay or craigslist that needs to be sold quick.
Oh i'm not sold on the Room mate, I don't know that reverb is important enough to spend $370 on at this point. The Tech21 is probably what i'm going to get, it sounds very nice and warm from all the demos i've seen and it's very tweakable and its only $150. If I don't like it then I may go for the Room mate, but that's just a little too much for the purposes I need reverb for.
right on... I suppose I should've boldened "if" from my previous post.
Quote by GrisKy
right on... I suppose I should've boldened "if" from my previous post.

Haha I knew what you meant, but yeah I think Tech21 is the choice, i'll let you know if it sucks and I go for the Room mate.
Quote by tremonti9482
Haha I knew what you meant, but yeah I think Tech21 is the choice, i'll let you know if it sucks and I go for the Room mate.

nice name btw... Mark is my favorite guitarist still making music.