Page 1 of 3
SeanX3187
UG Senior Member
942 IQ
i've been a weasel fan since about '97 (i'm only 16, can't really get too much farther back than that, haha) but i noticed that most punk fans these days don't even know who they are.
i think they're amazing and should be made known again to all deprived punx.
I_Pwn
is gonna find you
2,803 IQ
Screeching Weasel are pretty popular on this forum.
brnh.bandcamp.com
SeanX3187
UG Senior Member
942 IQ
are they really?
i've seen them mentioned maybe once or twice.
i guess i'm just not reading the right threads.
werty22
Banned
1,095 IQ
I don't think they're as popular here as they used to be, but I'm sure everyone has heard of them. There are many threads about them.

I don't like them.
charliezard!
1,337 IQ
Yeah, they're very well known. That doesn't mean everyone likes em though.
I like Screeching Weasel up to Wiggle.
I_Pwn
is gonna find you
2,803 IQ
Quote by charliezard!
Yeah, they're very well known. That doesn't mean everyone likes em though.
I like Screeching Weasel up to Wiggle.

This is crazy talk! Anthem for a New Tomorrow and How to Make Enemies and Irritate People are both great.
brnh.bandcamp.com
GSD N3
follow your bliss
1,124 IQ
Screeching Weasel is pretty awesome. Though I prefer The Misfits or Minor Threat (btw, nice avatar I_Pwn)

but Rancid is probably higher up on my list... The basslines are f***ing awesome.
Quote by witchhammer
you, sir, are terrible.

I'm finding new ways to make the same mistakes,
putting my dreams onto paper and then folding them into planes,
then I let them go because when in Rome,
I set fire to what I love the most.

werty22
Banned
1,095 IQ
Quote by GSD N3
Screeching Weasel is pretty awesome. Though I prefer The Misfits or Minor Threat (btw, nice avatar I_Pwn)

but Rancid is probably higher up on my list... The basslines are f***ing awesome.

I don't know why you would compare Screeching Weasel, The Misfits, Minor Threat, and Rancid.
Iluvpowerchords
Flau-BEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR
1,364 IQ
YOU TELL US OUR FUTURE'S AT STAKE
WELL WE'RE GONNA SLAM DANCE ON YER GRAVE
CUZ WE DON'T GIVE A SHIT ABOUT TOMORROW

The kill the musicians version of that song is about as good as pop punk gets.

I don't listen to the Weasel a whole lot anymore though.
Last edited by Iluvpowerchords at Aug 17, 2009,
SeanX3187
UG Senior Member
942 IQ
Quote by werty22
I don't think they're as popular here as they used to be, but I'm sure everyone has heard of them. There are many threads about them.

I don't like them.

why don't you like them?
they were punk, but made it just a little more upbeat than the norm of that era, and pretty much started pop punk (but as we all know, that took a turn for the worse)
BostonLacrosse
HEY SUBURBIA!!
333 IQ
i love me some weasel
Propaganda does not deceive people; it merely helps them to deceive themselves-Eric Hoffer

Quote by GannonBracewell

CBGB wants to be famous like the others such as Green Day and Offspring. They don't want to be a underground punk band.
charliezard!
1,337 IQ
Quote by SeanX3187
why don't you like them?
they were punk, but made it just a little more upbeat than the norm of that era, and pretty much started pop punk (but as we all know, that took a turn for the worse)

SeanX3187
UG Senior Member
942 IQ
Quote by charliezard!

i said pretty much, it wasn't a definitive statement.
and the ramones considered themselves Rock N Roll, not punk, even though that's what i consider them to be.
charliezard!
1,337 IQ
Well I wouldn't say "pretty much" either, since SW's first full-length was 11 years after The Ramones' s/t.
But it doesn't matter. I like really SW. I don't think anyone is complaining that they aren't punx enough. I really wanted to see them play here in Austin a few weeks ago, but I couldn't afford it.
BostonLacrosse
HEY SUBURBIA!!
333 IQ
Quote by charliezard!
Well I wouldn't say "pretty much" either, since SW's first full-length was 11 years after The Ramones' s/t.
But it doesn't matter. I like really SW. I don't think anyone is complaining that they aren't punx enough. I really wanted to see them play here in Austin a few weeks ago, but I couldn't afford it.

i went to an Bomb the music industry where i became friends two lovely lady lady punks who went to that show
Propaganda does not deceive people; it merely helps them to deceive themselves-Eric Hoffer

Quote by GannonBracewell

CBGB wants to be famous like the others such as Green Day and Offspring. They don't want to be a underground punk band.
pinheadslts75
BrainDamage
1,113 IQ
Generally everything past their first album and their last two is really good ****.

I'm curious to hear the new Riverdales album myself.
SeanX3187
UG Senior Member
942 IQ
i heard about that tour, but i didn't find out any dates so i'm not sure if they were/will be around here.
werty22
Banned
1,095 IQ
Quote by SeanX3187
why don't you like them?

I listened to them for a while and whenever I got one of their songs stuck in my head it was just annoying. Also, I don't like the vocals or the tones of the instruments, or anything else about them, really. It's not like I hate them or anything, I just don't like them. I have several more reasons, but there's no accounting for taste.
SeanX3187
UG Senior Member
942 IQ
Quote by werty22
I listened to them for a while and whenever I got one of their songs stuck in my head it was just annoying. Also, I don't like the vocals or the tones of the instruments, or anything else about them, really. It's not like I hate them or anything, I just don't like them. I have several more reasons, but there's no accounting for taste.

that's understandable.
Jx210
454 IQ
I just got their first album about a month ago and I still can't put it down. There are some not so good songs, but for like what, 40 tracks? There's a really good percentage of nice ones.I don't know why so many people hate it, maybe because they're used to SW as a pop-punk band, hearing a hardcore version isn't the same. You can really hear their 80's punk influences. Murder In The Brady House is pretty cool.. I think My Song might be one of my favorite SW songs ever though. I might be the only person who likes it though.

I think Boogadax3 is their best though, Bark is pretty close, MBH after that.. Anthem is hit and miss, and I lose interest going through Teen Punks. I'll Stop The Rain is pretty gnarly though.
Last edited by Jx210 at Aug 18, 2009,
axeslash
I got no learnin'
3,485 IQ
Jesus titty-fucking Christ what the hell is wrong with kids these days?

Why is it that 90% of threads on bands start with "I like (band) and I don't think enough people like (band.) Now let's all discuss (band) since I don't have anything interesting to say on the subject other than 'I like (band.)'"

The lack of originality is so sickening that I feel it necessary to post bold-font curse words.

FUCKJARS
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
Rancid Ivy
connard de canard
1,355 IQ
I like Screeching Weasel, but not as much As my friend, who has a frkn tattoo (of their logo) on his back.
"You have brains in your head,
You have feet in your shoes,
You can steer yourself,
any direction you choose,
You're on your own,
And you know what you know,
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go."

- Dr. Seuss
SeanX3187
UG Senior Member
942 IQ
Quote by axeslash
Jesus titty-fucking Christ what the hell is wrong with kids these days?

Why is it that 90% of threads on bands start with "I like (band) and I don't think enough people like (band.) Now let's all discuss (band) since I don't have anything interesting to say on the subject other than 'I like (band.)'"

The lack of originality is so sickening that I feel it necessary to post bold-font curse words.

FUCKJARS

i know plenty about weasel, don't question my knowledge...
just wanted to hear others opinions.
StreetLight3989
1,950 IQ
They're ok, I never could really get into them though and I'm a big pop punk fan.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
GSD N3
follow your bliss
1,124 IQ
Quote by werty22
I don't know why you would compare Screeching Weasel, The Misfits, Minor Threat, and Rancid.

^They're my four favorite punk bands.

But you can give me any punk, and I'll like it.
Quote by witchhammer
you, sir, are terrible.

I'm finding new ways to make the same mistakes,
putting my dreams onto paper and then folding them into planes,
then I let them go because when in Rome,
I set fire to what I love the most.

werty22
Banned
1,095 IQ
Quote by GSD N3
^They're my four favorite punk bands.

They still aren't relevant, but OK.

I seriously doubt that's true.
Captain Insano
Bruins Fan
1,629 IQ
Screeching Weasel is one of my fav's.

I had the Boogada cover as my avatar for a very long time. But have since changed it to the Milo goes to College cover......

Meh....
RockThe40oz
Sucker-Punched By Christ
1,233 IQ
Quote by Captain Insano
Screeching Weasel is one of my fav's.

I had the Boogada cover as my avatar for a very long time. But have since changed it to the Milo goes to College cover......

Meh....

Cool story, Hansel
axeslash
I got no learnin'
3,485 IQ
Quote by GSD N3
You're just begging to listen to some Charles Bronson.
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
captain_jack
call me Caleb
429 IQ
Screeching Weasel are one of my favorites. "My Right" is one of my favorite songs, and Boogadaboogadaboogada is probably one of my top five favorite albums.
SeanX3187
UG Senior Member
942 IQ
although powerviolence and thrashcore are derived from hardcore punk, i don't really consider charles bronson to be punk. they're much too metal sounding for me to call them punk.
i guess that's why there are genres like powerviolence...
werty22
Banned
1,095 IQ
Powerviolence seems closer to punk than metal to me.
SeanX3187
UG Senior Member
942 IQ
Quote by werty22
Powerviolence seems closer to punk than metal to me.

hmm.. i'm just not big on the real hardcore punk bands (casualties, black flag, bad brains, minor threat, bands like that, are about as hardcore [if you could call it that] as i'll get) so anything that gets really heavy sounds like metal to me.
werty22
Banned
1,095 IQ
I'm not a big powerviolence fan or anything, but Charles Bronson doesn't really sound heavy to me. I guess that's just because IMO slower, more dynamic music tends to sound heavier. Some Black Sabbath songs, for example, sounds heavier than most death metal to me, but I know most people would disagree with me on that. Maybe more importantly, most styles of metal tend to have much longer songs and fancy musicianship.