Page 1 of 2
I need help with my first tube amp, it is a Randall RG50TC.

The clean channel sounds nice, the volume is fully working, and all the tubes are warming up but the overdrive channel is sounding like ****, like a low gain SS amp, I have 3 more 12AX7 that I replaced and tested in different ways but the problem persists, almost no gain and ****ty sound on the distortion channel.

I don't know, maybe all my preamp tubes are bad? Maybe somebody experienced this before.
Sounds just like a typical bad preamp tube but on all 3? hmm.
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
what brand 12AX7's are they??
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
Are you retarded?

The Randall RG50TC IS a SS amp. I won't even ask what you are taking out of that amp and trying to replace with 12AX7's because no doubt the answer will be infinitely more retarded than this.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Quote by TOMMYB22
Are you retarded?

The Randall RG50TC IS a SS amp. I won't even ask what you are taking out of that amp and trying to replace with 12AX7's because no doubt the answer will be infinitely more retarded than this.

umm...I think you're the one not firing on all 4 cylinders...

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RG50TC-50W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481197
Quote by gregs1020
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by TOMMYB22
Are you retarded?

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RG50TC-50W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481197

It's funny when you're smug about being ignorant.

Edit: MINDLINK
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by TOMMYB22
Are you retarded?

um......you are wrong. Randall makes some SS amps, but this one in particular is a tube amp. EL34EH's are tubes aren't they? They are the power tubes used in this amp.

The RX and G3 series are the SS. RG and RM are the tube. Sorry, but get your facts straight.

Edit: other than the preamp tubes, i don't know what the problem can be. Has this always been this way, or is this just suddenly happening? If it is the latter, then it may be the tubes.

o ya. If we can't help you, then join the Randall forum and ask there. You may get better information.

http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/index.php

Post in the "Other Randall Amps" subforum.

Good Luck.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
Last edited by JKMV11 at Aug 17, 2009,
Quote by JKMV11
um......you are wrong. Randall makes some SS amps, but this one in particular is a tube amp. EL34EH's are tubes aren't they? They are the power tubes used in this amp.

The RX and G3 series are the SS. RG and RM are the tube. Sorry, but get your facts straight.

Edit: other than the preamp tubes, i don't know what the problem can be. Has this always been this way, or is this just suddenly happening? If it is the latter, then it may be the tubes.

Ok, i didn't know it was a hybrid but even so, why is he trying to replace the EL-34's with 12AX7's. IIRC the 12AX7's are pre-amp tubes correct?
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
You sir are an idiot.

EDIT: Or just very ignorant
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Last edited by Bostonrocks at Aug 17, 2009,
Quote by TOMMYB22
Ok, i didn't know it was a hybrid but even so, why is he trying to replace the EL-34's with 12AX7's. IIRC the 12AX7's are pre-amp tubes correct?

Except it's a tube amp, not a 'hybrid'.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by TOMMYB22

i don't think he is. I was just saying that it had those power tubes. It doesn't mention preamp tubes, but i'm sure it has them. 12AX7EH are the stock. I'm sure replacing them will make the amp sound better; maybe with some Shuguangs or Tung-Sols.
--Einstein

--Einstein
12AX7WA

Something strange happened when I was testing the tubes.

One of them is a 12AT7EH and is known as the phase inverter (or someting like that), this tube was working nice but suddenly stopped working and I had to use one 12AX7 in replacement (when it happened the volume in both channels got reduced like 80%). Anyway the problem is still there, is like the distortion I am getting is not from the tubes, just the circuit gain or something.

I think the tubes are right and there is something strange with the amp, I hope I am wrong because I am not in the USA now and here I there isn't any Randall support, I will be lucky if I can find some tech.
Announcer: TOMMYB22, the double fail has been perfected for the first time, how do you feel?
TOMMYB22: Like a SS hyrbrid amp =[

Anyways, preamp tubes sound like the culprit, but having 3 bad ones is fishy. It could be something a little more serious. I would change them out and then seek professional help if the problem persists.
Quote by Esti_Sonata
12AX7WA

One of them is a 12AT7EH and is known as the phase inverter (or someting like that), this tube was working nice but suddenly stopped working and I had to use one 12AX7 in replacement (when it happened the volume in both channels got reduced like 80%). Anyway the problem is still there, is like the distortion I am getting is not from the tubes, just the circuit gain or something.

I think the tubes are right and there is something strange with the amp, I hope I am wrong because I am not in the USA now and here I there isn't any Randall support, I will be lucky if I can find some tech.

sounds like you have a bad tube socket. bring it to a tech.
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by Esti_Sonata
12AX7WA

put a JAN Phillips 5751 in the phase inverter. I hear it is one of the best tubes to use in that positions, at least when i was inquiring about the RM80. It will tame the gain a bit, but it should make it sound better. Use a tung-sol in the other spot. I'm guessing that it is set up like the RM: P1= phase inverter, V1 = input (closest to the input), and FX loop buffer. Well put the tung-sol in the V1.

I'm no expert on this amp, but i recommend joining the Randall forum if you haven't and ask on there.

I can't tell you much more b/c i am fairly new to tube amps and have never used the RG. only the RM80.

Good Luck.
--Einstein

--Einstein
Quote by TOMMYB22

No... The RG is all tube.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by TOMMYB22
Are you retarded?

hahahahaha, ok i'll stop..

hahahaha
Quote by False_God
hahahahaha, ok i'll stop..

hahahaha

What are you talking about?
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by Shinozoku
No... The RG is all tube.

Since when?? I was always under the impression that it was an SS preamp and a tube power section.

I believe that the MTS series was the first all-tube line that Randall produced!
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Maybe the RG was produced after the MTS!

No need to get smart with me, is there? I was simply stating that as far as I'm aware the RG50 isn't fully tube - I have been known to be wrong from time to time though.

Edit:

The RG50TC is all-tube. I did some research and I stand corrected
Last edited by i_am_metalhead at Aug 17, 2009,
Quote by Esti_Sonata
12AX7WA

I hope I am wrong because I am not in the USA now and here I there isn't any Randall support, I will be lucky if I can find some tech.

Thanks you all. I am calling a tech today.
The only tech I could find was busy until the next wednesday.

It's gonna be a long week.
The "TC" in RG50TC stands for tube combo.

And OP, I recommend you take your amp to a tech. Definitely not normal.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Anyone knows how to ge the VIP code to get registered into the randall forum?

I cant find it anywhere and I have already registered my amp but they didn't sent me any mail.

VIP code: *
You can find a valid VIP code on the WebSite-Watcher Support page!
I noticed something else too, when I try to play in the overdrive channel the gain fade in and out when I hit the strings hard.

Maybe the problem is an output tube?, can be this causing the loss of gain?
Quote by Esti_Sonata
Anyone knows how to ge the VIP code to get registered into the randall forum?

I cant find it anywhere and I have already registered my amp but they didn't sent me any mail.

VIP code: *
You can find a valid VIP code on the WebSite-Watcher Support page!

Its on the main page under the "MTS forum news and announcements."

VIP Code: MTS12VIP
--Einstein

--Einstein
Quote by Esti_Sonata
Thank you

No problem. I had the same problem when i tried to join. welcome to the MTS forum!

I hope you get the problem solved. Sounds to me like a problem with the tubes, but i'm sure a tech or members of the Randall forum (besides me) can give you some better advice.
--Einstein

--Einstein
I hope, I will have to wait until the next week anyway but I will post if I solve it, the problem with this kind of posts is that when the users get their amps fixed they never post back so there is a lot of unsolved threads.
Ok here is an update.

It looks like I am screwed. I am really dissapointed and sad, for this amp I saved money for two years , when I had the chance to travel to the USA I bought it but I made a big mistake, buying it online, then I hadn't time to try it or return it, I had to come back and I just took the risk, I was thinking about getting a Bugera but I didn't because of its realiability issues and look what happens.

Here is the mail I have recently sent to Randall:

Hi, finally I sent the amp to a technician but we have some problems, first of all he doesn't have too much info about it because it is not a very common amp for him,
I gave him the circuit schematic but it seems that the schematic is the one for the previous version of the amp, I have the one with the black front panel and Two 5881 power tubes but the schematics shows a circuit with EL34.

My tech says he thinks that the polarization of my amp looks like made for EL34 tubes and thats strange because is working with 5881.

I would greatly apreciate your help because I am far from the USA where I bought it, I am currently in Uruguay and send the amp would cost me a lot of money. Maybe you can email me the correct schematics , that would be a great help.

The problem I have is that the distortion channel sounds like solid state low gain distortion and it isn't a problem from the preamp tubes.

Thanks in advance.

Now I have to wait again to the next friday and the tech said that if he doesn't get more info he can't help me. $570 to the trash.
Last edited by Esti_Sonata at Aug 28, 2009,
SS ****ty? *looks a sig* Thanks...
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
SS ****ty? *looks a sig* Thanks...

maybe he means more like a '****ty SS' amp.
I doubt that you've read this thread before posting that
Quote by TOMMYB22
Are you retarded?

I know I'm late to say this, but I just have to say it:
YOU, sir, just failed. Hard.

& Esti, sad to know your amp isn't working properly D: you just got it last month!
Kaguya: Ibanez GRX20 - Coil-split handwound Humbuckers
Isabelle: Fender 50's Road Worn Strat signed by AutoVaughn
Selene: Ibanez RG2EX1
Blackstar HT-5
Quote by TOMMYB22
Are you retarded?

potential sig material?
Page 1 of 2