So, I'm planning on spending around $1000 US on a new guitar, but I also need a new amp (right now I have a roland cube 15x.)

The bands I like to play are The Faceless, Born of Osiris, After the Burial, Acacia Strain, Oceano, Winds of Plague, Psycroptic, etc.

My budget is around $500 US.

Please point me to the finest metal amps in my price range

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I dont play gigs or anything, just in my bedroom, so I dont think wattage is too much of an issue.
Last edited by Flariduh at Aug 17, 2009,
Peavey 6505 112...it's 600 bucks on musiciansfriend but I'm sure you could find one on ebay for your price range. Why spend so much on a guitar when you could get a very nice guitar for 500-600 then have 1000 for the amp? In my opinion the amp is more important
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckmehh
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
DBX166XL/BBE Sonic Maximizer
Boss NS-2, sCream Cheese 2.0 OD, Zakk Wylde wah
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Awe-in-One picks..and more
Are you willing to go used?

Edit:
Quote by chuckmehh
Peavey 6505 112...it's 600 bucks on musiciansfriend but I'm sure you could find one on ebay for your price range. Why spend so much on a guitar when you could get a very nice guitar for 500-600 then have 1000 for the amp? In my opinion the amp is more important

Agreed
Well, what kind of guitar are you planning on getting? Because, generally, you should spend more on the amp than you should on your guitar. If it's a Gibson or something I understand. But I can't think of much 500 dollar amps that can use every bit of a guitar that makes it cost that much.

BUT, to help you out...

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Blackstar-HT-Series-HT5C-5W-1x10-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=483559

The Blackstar is probably the greatest low wattage amp around. Tubes are generally louder, so you won't have to worry that it's only 5 watts.

The problem with your price range is that most solid state amps in that area are 100w or similar. For bedroom that's much too much. However, tube amps are more expensive, so a 5 watt amp is 400 bucks.

Anyway, for me, that's the best you can do. And don't worry that it's not a "metal" amp. Pop in a OD/Dist pedal in there, and this thing growls. I have a Digitech HardWire TL-2 and a MXR GT-OD Custom Shop pedal, they both sound great. I also use it with my Line6 Pod.. it's just a great, great amp, made for pedal abuse.

EDIT: But don't take my word for it, try it out. Also, this is more like a favor, can you try the Spider IV too? Haha, it's not a suggestion, I was just wondering how it sounded. It's supposed to be amazingly better.
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
Last edited by larrytheguitar at Aug 17, 2009,
Quote by chuckmehh

Oh shi-, I thought "600? No, that's way too low"

I check Musicians Friend and jizzed. A 6505 COMBO AMP??? ALL I EVER DREAMED OFF!!
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
Quote by larrytheguitar
Oh shi-, I thought "600? No, that's way too low"

I check Musicians Friend and jizzed. A 6505 COMBO AMP??? ALL I EVER DREAMED OFF!!

Yeah man that's a great deal
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Hmmm used Peavey XXX combo?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
Hmmm used Peavey XXX combo?

this is also very nice...one at a local guitar store for 500...I prefer the 6505 to it though for metal still
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
A used Line 6 Vetta would also be perfect
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Quote by chuckmehh
this is also very nice...one at a local guitar store for 500...I prefer the 6505 to it though for metal still

Hmm I don't particularly like the 5150 or the 5150+, I find it a little too dark for my liking. Generally, unless its a very specific tone I'm looking for, I'd still pick the XXX for a general metal tone.

Different cuts.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.