Whats going on guys......

Been playing for a year, i got a Spider Line6 (1st gen model) and a Squier strat.
I always get this muddy tone with distortion, its basicly a wall of ugly sound.

I need a powerfull sound that full, rich, and tight with distortion on. Like Ac/DC's sound , still powerfull and overdriven, but clean and rich at the same time.

So say i got no more $500 bucks, which sould i upgrade first the Guitar or the amp.
(Which is going to get me closer to sound im looking for basicaly)

IF Amp: preferably a tube type, i hear thats where rich tone starts. It can be solid state too though as long its nice. Not too big either. 50w or around there is fine.
Last edited by rockaddict357 at Aug 17, 2009,
I'd buy a Marshall DSL-401. Awesome amps, great tone. You can find them on ebay from time to time for around $500-800.
Gear:
-2008 Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-1 mini stack
i'd say get a new guitar, because once you dial it in, a spider isn't THAT bad. and you know that the spider is a modeling amp? fool around with it to get the tone you want, if you aren't satisfied with it, than get a new amp

btw, a 50W tube amp will sound like a 150W solid state...

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Well if your gonna gig i guess you would wanna spend it on a decent sized tube amp maybe a b-52 or something used as im not sure the b-52 would do a great ac/dc sound however it would be much better than your line 6. Anyways i guess what i mean is try some out and see what you like. However i had a squier strat and it did get very frustrating, the pickups are week and twangy and tapping and decent hammer ons and pull offs were a struggle. But mroe of your tone comes from the amp so its really up to you and if your comfortable with your guitar for a while. Also, if you're not gigging you could get a really good sounding tube amp which would maybe be more versatile than the b-52(not sure never played one but hear good things) So you have a lot of options and i recomend trying out a combination of different things and see what you like.
You should be able to find a MIM (made in mexico)
HHS strat for $250-$300 used, $450-500 new.

Blackstar is a very cool amp for $400.
Buy a used MIM strat.
And a small used Fender amp.
Throw a DS-1 or similar in front of it.
There ya go.