Hello GB&C, I think I’ll use this thread to post updates and ask questions about the three projects that I’m either working on or have planned. If I’m doing something stupid please speak up, any feedback is appreciated. This forum is a fantastic resource, thanks!

First up is a re-do of a strat copy(epiphone) that I’ve had for awhile. Modifications are: scalloped fret board, new paint job, and rewire. I’ve replaced the three knobs with push pulls, new controls: master volume, treble cut, bass cut, neck adder, phase, and series/parallel. I still need to complete the neck refinishing, and the wiring needs more work.

repairing previous modifications

ready for paint

base color

how it looks now

scalloping fretboard

EDIT:I'll call this one the 'GSS'
Last edited by bullzeye at Aug 23, 2009,
Second is a ground up build. It will have an ash body, a maple bolt on neck, a floyd rose style tremolo, and a single humbucker in the bridge position; also planning a clear pickguard and a natural finish. I’m considering adding one of those DIY pizeos plus a preamp like I’ve seen around here too. This’ll be my first neck. I need to start work on the fretboard(scale length:640mm) next, and then begin the body routing.

neck routed to shape

headstock thicknessed

body template

body wood

EDIT: I'll call this one the 'AMBT'
Last edited by bullzeye at Aug 26, 2009,
Last is a build that I have been planning for awhile. I expect it to be a great deal more complicated than previous projects, so I’m just saving up confidence and money at the moment.
Specs:
-body: explorer shape, walnut wings, carved maple top, black binding, recessed wrap around bridge
-neck: 22 fret three piece maple thru neck with dark veneer stripes, no headstock angle, maple fretboard, with black block inlays and black binding, scale length:640 mm
-electronics: HSH, chrome humbuckers, volume knobs for each humbucker, master tone, 5way, neck adder, bridge adder, middle phase, all on push pulls, hidden coil split switches.

template
Last edited by bullzeye at Aug 26, 2009,
All three look nice man, ill be looking forward to updates.

what exactly did you mean by hidden coil split switches?
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
What happened to the neck pup in the strat?
Quote by letsgocoyote
No I'm not Jesus. I would aspire to be though. I think under circumstances he would let you pay less if you needed to.
blindsagacity- I bought 2 submini spdt switches, I think I'll mount them in the control cavity some how, and have a hole in the cavity cover to access them.

buster- When I got the guitar it was like that, so I don't have a clue. Its solid tho
Done with the neck for the GSS, heres a pic:

first time using spray on polyurethane, I like it. The finish came out OK in spite of the fact that I cut corners in preparation. This build was more for practice and having an excuse to fiddle with something anyhow. We'll see how it holds up.

All that left is to get the wiring right. I got a feeling its just sloppy soldering on my part, but here's a link to the diagram, as I know I'm not an expert with wiring. Any mistakes?

Also have the body blank for the AMBT glued up(my parts arrived too, exciting). Definitely going to be putting more care into this build. Thanks for looking!
That neck looks nice
You could always just use a SD wiring diagram then add the switches if you think you messed up on it.
Quote by letsgocoyote
No I'm not Jesus. I would aspire to be though. I think under circumstances he would let you pay less if you needed to.
The GSS is finished. It came out really good. The paint job was just what I was going for. I got the idea from the cover art of one of my favorite albums.(Garbage-‘self titled&rsquo

The electronics also came out nicely. The final wiring was: phase on the neck pick up, and series/parallel for the bridge and middle. Neck and mid in series sounds very heavy and humbucker like, a sound that the guitar was lacking. Also, bridge and neck out of phase sounds good too. I love guitars with lots of switching options, and this one doesn’t disappoint.

The scallops are very interesting. With the exception of sliding, all the moves on the fingerboard seem to require less effort. Chording is more difficult, because finger pressure will cause the notes to go sharp. All in all, successful project. Here are some pics:

back
scallops
Looks nice, pink trem bar really gives it that edge.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
I’ve also made progress on the AMBT. The body is planed to thickness and routed to shape. Pics:

rough cut

Can’t wait to work on it some more.
^I decided to save myself a little work by only taking wood out where my fingers would be.
Last edited by bullzeye at Aug 31, 2009,
That pink strat is really nice. The finish reminds me of a gold leaf finish. (But in pink)
Weekend Warrior
No offense but the scallop job looks a little rough. IMO. Everything else looks good though. Ill definitely follow this.
"A dog returns to its own vomit"
^none taken, its just the result of not wanting to spend a whole lot of time on it, but its fine for my purposes. thanks everyone for the comments

updates: Got the comfort carves done and sanded today, Pics:

and in progress:front, back

A few questions: I got some tear out in the grain lines from my rasp. How would I avoid this in the future?
And, what is a good source for electronic components? Radioshack didn't have every thing I needed for the pre-amp. Thanks