What is a MOSRITE Copy Norma guitar body? I saw it on ebay and I would like to have some info on it. I think it looked like an old kay body but I don't know is it a place where you can get copies of old guitar bodies? Has anybody ever seen or used one before?

Thanks
Last edited by YouWantToKillME at Aug 18, 2009,
link?
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
If memory serves, Mosrite guitars were hot in the '60's, mainly surf rock. More recently, The B52's sound. I think Sears(Silvertone), and others knocked them off. A copy is just that, a copy. Probably barely worth the shipping charges, but I could be wrong.
If you're asking what Mosrite is, They were a guitar company from the sixties to sometime mid 1992. The most well known guitars they made are known as the Ventures models although they also made others like their Telecaster and Les Paul based guitars in the 70s. Note I didn't say "Copies". Many people have played them such as The Ventures, Joe Maphis, Johnny Ramone, Ricky Wilson of The B-52's and Kurt Cobain of Nirvana. Johnny and Kurt had rare ones though.

However, if you're asking what a Mosrite Copy Norma Body is my guess is it is a copy of a Mosrite body and it is by Norma. (Please, I'm not being a wise ass so don't take offense) I have never seen one of these though so could you post a link, please?
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
buy it and build it.

mosrites kick ass.
but back on topic, mosrites were guitars designed and built by loretta and semie mosley, from the 60s to the 90s.
notable players are nokie edwards, johnny ramone, and kurt cobain, who owned one of only two mosrite gospel models.
Quote by kickstartkiss
buy it and build it.

mosrites kick ass.
but back on topic, mosrites were guitars designed and built by loretta and semie mosley, from the 60s to the 90s.
notable players are nokie edwards, johnny ramone, and kurt cobain, who owned one of only two mosrite gospel models.

I don't think Semie's wife had much to do with designing Mosrite guitars. On the subject of players though, Don't forget Joe Maphis. He was amazing. Oh and there are more Gospel models, Just not of the Mark V type. They are still very limited though.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Quote by kickstartkiss
buy it and build it.

mosrites kick ass.

Well I have bought it and I have a extra neck and I am going to have to build it. I bought only the body I'm going to have to buy everything else. I am thinking like two gibson style covered humbuckers and have a custom pickguard made. I want the old school tortoise shell that looks like this one you know more black then red

I will accept any ideals because nothing is set in stone yet

Last edited by YouWantToKillME at Aug 24, 2009,
Quote by Gargoyle2500
I don't think Semie's wife had much to do with designing Mosrite guitars. On the subject of players though, Don't forget Joe Maphis. He was amazing. Oh and there are more Gospel models, Just not of the Mark V type. They are still very limited though.

lorretta ran the company, accounts and such.
2 in the world man, the other is owned by semies daughter
Quote by kickstartkiss
lorretta ran the company, accounts and such.
2 in the world man, the other is owned by semies daughter

Yes, Loretta ran the company for a few years after Semie's death in 1992. And there are only two Mosrite Gospel "Mark IV" Models (They are actually slightly different Mark V models) But there are other Mosrite guitars with Gospel on the headstock, They are just different models. I've seen pictures of at least six others. Two from members of the Mosrite forum, One on eBay and three in a Mosrite ad from the 80s.
Always tin your strings.

_____

I have bought another piece to add to it does anyone know how it works? I bought the original tremolo tailpiece that came off the guitar I didn't want to spend that much for it. But if I hadn't I would've had to strip all the paint off and fill in the cavity which I may still do. I don't know if it comes with every thing that it needs to work can you tell if it did by looking at the pictures? The guy on ebay has taken it apart and is selling it off piece by piece. Doesn't that just piss you off when someone takes apart a perfectly good guitar just to try to make a little more money?

Last edited by YouWantToKillME at Aug 24, 2009,
Sorry, I've no idea how that bridge works. I don't know the year either, I don't know about all Mosrite copies. I would recommend to fill in the body and put a Stetsbar Hardtail model on, It looks like it would fit. However, Those Stetsbars go for $250 so you may be better off just buying a Tune-O-Matic stoptail bridge.
Always tin your strings.

_____

I have bought another piece to add to it does anyone know how it works? I bought the original tremolo tailpiece that came off the guitar I didn't want to spend that much for it. But if I hadn't I would've had to strip all the paint off and fill in the cavity which I may still do. I don't know if it comes with every thing that it needs to work can you tell if it did by looking at the pictures? The guy on ebay has taken it apart and is selling it off piece by piece. Doesn't that just piss you off when someone takes apart a perfectly good guitar just to try to make a little more money?

/QUOTE]

if its just the tail piece, you could probably recess a tunomatic, if the string spacing is correct

any ways, what neck are you using, mosrites are 3 a side headstocks

good luck with the build
Quote by YouWantToKillME

That looks like the proper tailpiece for that Mosrite-style body you have above. I have a Sears Telecaster copy with the same vibrato that I found for $50 a year ago in a pawn shop in a poor state of repair.

AS for that vibrato unit, it's basically a cheap copy of the Jaguar/Jazzmaster vibrato except with 2 springs instead of one. Mine has the bridge cover for it Gretsch and Gibson trem arms seems to work well on it, however, finding he original style of bar that trem had wil be a chore to find.

My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
I received the body today and it's a lot smaller then I thought it would be. I haven't even seen a picture of a Mosrite guitar I have searched google over and over useing different words and I still can't find one that looks like mine. Does anybody have a picture of one? I said that I was going to put two gibson style covered humbuckers but I've been thinking about three but being that it's no bigger then it is I may have to stick with two. (Mad-Mike_J83) even in poor state of repair $50 for one is a great deal. I spent more then that on just a body do you have any pictures of you fixing it up? You know what it looked like and what it looks like now.

Thanks
Well i Searched and seached all of the mosrite pictures on my hard drive (a lot), and none of them look like yours, plenty of them have the same body style, but the bridge and pickup positions are all way off. You may have yourself a somewhat rare model...

As much as I hate to speak the forbidden words, I'd say contact Ed Roman and ask him, he might know. Otherwise find a mosrite forum and ask them.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
Quote by blindsagacity
As much as I hate to speak the forbidden words, I'd say contact Ed Roman and ask him, he might know. Otherwise find a mosrite forum and ask them.

Yes, I highly recommend going here...

www.mosriteforum.com (Real site, I'm registered there as 101Volts)
Always tin your strings.

_____

Quote by blindsagacity

Why??? Who is he?
Last edited by YouWantToKillME at Sep 2, 2009,
I have bought another piece for it can you believe that this little thing cost me $36.78. But I needed it because it just looked funny without it. I hope it fits he said that it's a cover off from a silvertone but it would fit on my mosrite.