hey guys, i hate to make another one of these threads but i cant seem to find what im looking for. The guitar player in my band is lookin for a new amp and he has about 1000 to spend. He's looking for a 4x12 halfstack, about 50 watts at the least, preferably tube, or hybrid.
He plays a fairly diverse mix of stuff from the Red hot chili peppers, to blink 182, to cKy and some punk too.
The clean sound as well as a good overdriven sound are whats really important.

Thanks for all the help in advance.

EDIT: the budget is for the head and the cab.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Hey! Now you can molest you're grandma and she won't remember! Score!!!

Gear:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
Last edited by Tatersalad1080 at Aug 18, 2009,
why does he need a 4x12 halfstack? is his penis big enough?
jcm900? peavey classic 50?
Originally Posted by Twist of fate
I thought the "clean" button was to clean out the inside of the amp automatically, so I never pressed it.

Originally Posted by DjBrandenburg
pedals are stupid
Carvin X100B
Marshall JCM of any sort
Peavey XXX
Peavey Mace/Ultra
Practically any Fender with a couple of pedals in front of it
B-52 At-100 with a nice cab

Just off the top of my head....
Last edited by SayAnything at Aug 18, 2009,
the 4x12 is because our other guitar player has a 4x12, and i have a 4x10 bass amp. Our drummer is also incredibly loud, and so is his kit.
He wants to get something that will be loud enough and then some, so that doesnt need to worry about being too quiet.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Hey! Now you can molest you're grandma and she won't remember! Score!!!

Gear:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
Quote by Tatersalad1080
the 4x12 is because our other guitar player has a 4x12, and i have a 4x10 bass amp. Our drummer is also incredibly loud, and so is his kit.
He wants to get something that will be loud enough and then some, so that doesnt need to worry about being too quiet.

a combo should work fine too. my drummer bangs the **** out of his set but my YCV40 is plenty loud, and its only a 1x12
Well, Jesus Christ, I'm not scared to die,

I'm a little bit scared of what comes after

Do I get the gold chariot?

Do I float through the ceiling?
Tell him to check out the Line6 Spidervalve. I hear the Bogner designed power tube section has the balls of a steroided mule. Of course, that's hearsay talkin', but I do dig the idea of modelling crossed with tube power.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
Quote by Tatersalad1080

That still doesn't mean he needs a 4x12, a 1x12 or 2x12 would work, no problems. The other guitarist in my band uses a Marshall Mode Four 350w head with two 4x10 cabs at the moment (until he gets a decent 4x12) and my amp running through my 2x12 cab has zero trouble, I even drown him out from time to time and have to turn my volume down.

EDIT FIX: Common misconception that 1x12's & 2x12's struggle/can't hold their own against 4x12's.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Last edited by James13v at Aug 18, 2009,
Dont bothor with hybrid amps. Thats all the advice i can give really...

Oh, and doubling speakers adds 3dB. So it IS louder. I heard this from Matrixclaw, so its definately right.
Greco 59-50 Mint Collection - 1982 - Iron Gear Hot Slag/Rolling Mill
Schecter Tempest Classic Goldtop
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB/EF86 2x12 - Lorantz Greenback's
MI Audio Blues Pro Overdrive

Quote by Danyg
^ this guy defines the term "being right".
Quote by DiizZ
Dont bothor with hybrid amps. Thats all the advice i can give really...

Oh, and doubling speakers adds 3dB. So it IS louder. I heard this from Matrixclaw, so its definately right.

Matrix is correct, but in the real world it's wrong to say 'half stacks are louder' - if nothing else it makes people believe you need loads of speakers to be loud enough. Plus you'll never get your amp to a point where the extra 3dB makes a difference. The minimum difference in SPL the human ear can hear is around 2dB, so you're not gaining anything.

I used my 18W, 1x12 combo alongside a JCM900 half stack last week, and it was not only just as loud, but sounded much better

Of course, a cranked tube amp through a 4x12 sounds amazing, but it's a luxury you should only use if budget/transport are not a major issue.

Here's what I'd recommend:

Egnater Rebel 20 - $600

Avatar Vintage Cab (1 Greenback, one Hellatone 30) - $430

Total price (inc shipping): $1030
Quote by AngryGoldfish
That's an ideal setup if you are not that interested in crystal clean tones.

True, the 20W means there isn't an enormous amount of clean headroom - but all the music the TS decribed seems to be more about slightly crunchy cleans, so the Egnater should work well.

I almost forgot, also have a look into the Traynor YCV40 Blue:
Quote by DiizZ
I heard this from Matrixclaw, so its definately right.

Saw this in tubetime's sig

Quote by kyle62
Matrix is correct, but in the real world it's wrong to say 'half stacks are louder' - if nothing else it makes people believe you need loads of speakers to be loud enough. Plus you'll never get your amp to a point where the extra 3dB makes a difference. The minimum difference in SPL the human ear can hear is around 2dB, so you're not gaining anything.

True enough. My point when I said that was about a 1x12 vs. 2x12. In most cases, you can still differentiate volume differences between the two, but anything after that is pretty much negligible. Technically, it is louder, but not very audible.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
i've heard quite many good reviews about egnater rebel and very few bad ones
so its no bad option
Originally Posted by Twist of fate
I thought the "clean" button was to clean out the inside of the amp automatically, so I never pressed it.

Originally Posted by DjBrandenburg
pedals are stupid