I was browsing around MusiciansFriend looking for a nice electronic drum set and keyboard. Let's say I have $500 to spend on each.

Basically, I want a drum set that at least sounds as good as MattRach's (youtube guitarist), but no higher than 500 please. I'll even accept used if that's what I gotta do. I want to be able to add drums to my songs, and at least have the option to use two kick/bass whatever drum pedals, for double kicking. Doesn't need to be included, but I'd like to have it to be possible to add one later, so just one kick/bass drum thing is fine for now.

And then for a keyboard: Something that can be plugged into headphones, speakers, and a PC (for use with Logic/Reason and stuff), and can use a sustainer pedal, and something that can realistically emulate the sounds of other instruments, also within $500 or less.

I looked in the instruments section, and it only lists Bass and Guitar stuff, so I figured this would be the best place to post this. If not, feel free to have it moved to the proper forum.

OOoh one more thing. Let's say I have 700 total that I can spend on MusiciansFriend (premium credit card account from them), and then 700-800 to spend on Newegg.com

It looks like Newegg mostly has keyboards rather than drum sets, and then MF has more drum sets to choose from, I mean if I can get a decent keyboard from Newegg and then the drum set from MF.

Also how good is that 200-300 RockBand 2 or Guitar Hero World Tour drum set for doing the things I wanna do?

Thanks for any help.
*reported*

Wrong forum, buddd.

Flam·boy·ant
French, from participle of flamboyer to flame
1:Characterized by waving curves suggesting flames
2:Marked by or given to strikingly elaborate or colorful display or behavior

Ok I quadruple checked. There isn't a single forum other than THIS one where this kind of topic can be posted. This is THE PIT, where anything that doesn't fit in the OTHER BOARDS can be posted in. A drum set is not a guitar, nor is a keyboard, so I can't post those in the guitar sections. Using 1st grade common sense, it shouldn't be hard to believe that this should be allowed to be posted here.

People are allowed to talk about guitars and rock bands and rock stars in here even though there are already boards for that on this site, yet mine about drums and keyboards isn't? Yea ok.
Quote by Mr. Rittard
*reported*

Wrong forum, buddd.

You're wrong.
Theres no drum / other instrument board, as the Admins won't make one.
The Pit is for anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
If you don't like it, then go moan at the admins.

Where does it go, then?

Bands & Artists? Nope.
Songwriting & Lyrics ? Nope.
Riffs & Recordings ? Nope.
Tab Talk? Nope.
Musician Talk? Nope.
Promote YOUR Band? Nope.
Classifieds? Nope.
Guitar Techniques? Nope.
Acoustic & Classical Guitar? Nope.
Electric Guitar? Nope.
Bass Guitar? Nope.
Guitar Gear & Accessories? Nope.
Gear Building & Customizing? Nope.
Site Feedback? Nope.
UG Contribution? Nope.

Sorry, I just hate it when someone reports something just because it contains the word "Drums".

/Nazi mode off.

All good?
RIP Tom Searle.
Last edited by MH400 at Aug 18, 2009,
I stand, corrected.
=]

carry on then.

Flam·boy·ant

Quote by Mr. Rittard
*reported*

Wrong forum, buddd.

know your forums ... there ain't a drum one.
Sent from my iPad.
Quote by paintITblack39
know your forums ... there ain't a drum one.

Hey,
I realize that, foo!
see my previous post.

Flam·boy·ant

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/electronic-drums/drum-sets/complete-sets

Umm, so those SDK5 and 7 kits on MF aren't worth it then? What if I start with one of those... Is it better to upgrade the drum pieces, or the module as I get more money? Is nothing on that page under 1000 worth it then?

And I never got any suggestions for a keyboard yet :P. For a keyboard, just realistic or close to realistic piano, string, and bass sounds, and ability to be used with Reason/Logic and be plugged into speakers. Like, sometimes I won't be able to plug it into a PC, so I want to be able to use it as a regular electric keyboard too, you know? I'd also like for it to have weighted, velocity sensitive keys, and more than 60 keys. Doesn't have to be 88, but yea between 60 and 88.

Edit: To please the mods, I'll post a reply to the post below me without "spamming."

So just to clarify, nothing on that page from 1000 and under ain't worth it for intermediate drum playing and semi-quality recording? I don't need to sound like The Red Hot Chili Peppers' drummer or other pro/expensive drums, just... acceptable to the ears.
Last edited by yamdiddle at Aug 18, 2009,
Gradually upgrading will cost a lot more in the long run.

Honestly, you'd be better off to spend some more at the start and not need to upgrade it.
RIP Tom Searle.
The thing is, with all of those drum kits besides the nice Roland ones and some of the Yamaha is the bass drum. Its small and terribly un responsive. Your double kick wont work to well on it because of the size. You dont get any bounce from them and it feels like you are playing drums against a metal wall. Not good. You could get one of the cheap ones and order a nice mesh bass drum from Roland. And remember that double kick pedals are really expensive.
Quote by yamdiddle

And I never got any suggestions for a keyboard yet :P. For a keyboard, just realistic or close to realistic piano, string, and bass sounds, and ability to be used with Reason/Logic and be plugged into speakers. Like, sometimes I won't be able to plug it into a PC, so I want to be able to use it as a regular electric keyboard too, you know? I'd also like for it to have weighted, velocity sensitive keys, and more than 60 keys. Doesn't have to be 88, but yea between 60 and 88.

Keyboard are tricky,
I'd say good ones start at around $800.
my friend is an avid pianist and I believe the digital one she owns is a Yamaha YPG-635.
It sounds quite lovely, very realistic.

I think your best bet on the keyboard is to hit up some local shops or adds,
get it used.

I can PM you once I talk to my friend,
she is much more knowledgeable than myself.

Flam·boy·ant

I guess what we're all saying is that your budget is too low.

At least we're being honest, and not kidding you into thinking you can buy top quality for that price.
RIP Tom Searle.
I don't want top quality >_>... I just want medium-end quality. For the keyboard, the most important part is having a realistic piano sound, weighted keys, sustainer pedal, and being able to plug in the speakers. Everything else ain't that important, so I can settle without those.

For drums, you're saying that I CAN buy one of those 500 dollar kits and just upgrade the kick drum so it won't have that brittle metal sound?

Again, going for medium end stuff that I can use to post decent sounding youtube videos, just recording each instrument through a medium end microphone. I can wait for top-notch stuff like 3-5+ years from now; I don't need studio quality stuff.