i have pretty much got down most other beginnerish theory and stuff but dont understand wtf these are? can any1 help me out a little coz they seem sorta important
There's a good DVD/book that you can pick up called Fretboard Logic that will explain it much better than I can. Look on Amazon.
Quote by wesselbindt
They're just the basic open chords, C(major) A(major and minor) G(major) E(major and minor) and D(major and minor).
There's nothing to get, really.

Much more to it... check out the DVD's. It's a different way to teach guitar. No disrespect wesselbindt.
Essentially it's the chord shapes up the fretboard. It honestly changed the way I play and made it all make sense.

I watched it after playing for 15 years maybe.... made a huge difference.

e|-|-|o|-|-|-|-|o|-|-|-|o|-|
b|o|-|-|-|o|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|o|
g|-|-|-|-|o|-|-|-|o|-|-|o|-|
d|-|o|-|-|o|-|-|-|-|o|-|-|-|
a|-|-|o|-|-|-|o|-|-|o|-|-|-|
E|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|o|-|-|-|-|-|
 |_____|
    C|_____|
        A|_______|  
             G |_____|
                  E|_______|
                       D

The CAGED system helps you find your way around the fretboard using the open chord shapes for the chords CAGED. In the example above it shows 5 ways to play Cmaj up the fretboard. Start with the open Cmaj. Can you see the 5 different shapes that would be your standard open chords for C, A, G, E, D? Using this you can find the root note anywhere across the fretboard. If you know the 5 major scale box patterns you'll be able to see how these shapes fit together. E.g in the first position you should be able to see that the open C maj shape fits into it

0 1 2 3 
|x|o|-|o|
|o|X|-|o|
|x|-|o|o|
|o|-|x|o|
|o|o|-|X|
|X|o|-|o|
In addition to applications for lead guitar (scales, arpeggios) it is also useful for rhythm (chords). If you learn the basic chords of CAGED, you can then alter notes to create more complex chords anywhere on the fretboard.
I have never heard of this method of learning before.........have to check it out.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
I got myself a copy of this text. Can anyone tell me if it would be worthwhile to work through it? I know the major scale positions and theory associated with that.

What exactly is this book good for? I am aiming to become more familiar with more complex chord voicings and the fretboard in general to get started on jazzish playing.
From what I read on the web site it looks like it is a type of learning that is specific for guitar, not just theory in general.

Go to the site and read up a little.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
"CAGED"
my understanding is you can find "octaves" in a variety of ways on the guitar ;
if you play an open string , and then play that string on the 12th fret you have an "octave" .
It is possible to find this same pitch on the next string higher in "Pitch" on the 7th fret .
for example :
E open to E:12
sounds the same as E open to A:7.

"Caged" concentrates on octaves between 2 and 3 strings .

A C major chord is EADGBE:x32010

in that chord the octaves are A:3 and B:1
If you "Transpose" them to A:7 and B:5 you have the Octaves in E .
But as we are using the same shape used for the C major chord we call this the "C" shape .
they sound the same as:
say A:7 and G:9 which stems from the "A" shape ( Apen and D:2)
G:9 and E:12 which stems from the "G"shape (G open and E:3)
E:12 and D:14 ( which stems from the "E" shape ( E open and D:2 )
and finally D:2 and B:5 which stems from the "D" shape " (Open D and B:3 )
Last edited by ibanez1511 at Aug 19, 2009,