My bands rhythm guitarist refuses to do anything with covers or remakes. He won't write one and he won't even perform one. I recently wrote a version of Ballroom Blitz for our band to play and he refuses to do it. The problem is that I wrote it with two guitars in mind, so it won't nearly be as good if I'm the only guitar playing it.

We try to tell him it's only one cover, but he seems to think that if we cover any song, I mean any song, that we'll become popular because of that one song (like Killswitch has Holy Diver). We try to tell him that this isn't going to happen but he won't listen.

I then tried to explain how sometime we have to play a song we don't like to. We have an original that I hate playing, but he tells me I just have to live with it, but then he turns around and says the exact same thing about a different song, and then goes on to say we're not playing it again as if he's in charge of the setlist.

I'm not really sure what to do about this. Suddenly our band starts going somewhere and he thinks he's in charge, and when it was just us two and a vocalist he had me do all the work and it's starting to get on my nerves. So if anyone could give me some advice I'd appreciate it.
(\__/)
(='.'=)Help the Bunny
(")_(")
He's to stuborn you'd better kick him and find someone who is verry open minded, IMO its verry Important to be open minded when in a band or something like that xs

good luck anyway
*insert awsomeness here*
kick his ass out, he sounds like a **** anyway
Gear:
PRS SE Custom
Takamine G Series Acoustic
Peavey Vypyr 30
Digitech RP 250

Quote by voodoochild23
The only time I'll dance is if Nickelback caught fire and no one helped.
We can't really kick him out, at least not now cause he's the only guitarist we know who fit our style

i guess maybe scaring him by saying if he doesn't grow up he's out might work.
(\__/)
(='.'=)Help the Bunny
(")_(")
Yeah, his ass would be fired, I don't care how well he fit the band's style. If he's not doing his job, then how well he fits is a rather moot point, isn't it?
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
I second the open mindedness - it sounds like you've explained it to him correctly and he's being stubborn. That isn't needed of a musician in a band.

However, if you are an originals band you should be more focused on writing originals than covers so I can see where he's coming from, even if his reasoning is all wrong.

In the end a band is a diplomacy, a group of people working together to achieve a common goal, not to further your own interests. If the rest of the band wants to do something and he doesn't, he's not right for the band.

PS. If you get big off a cover, people will buy your albums and listen to the rest of your music. Killswitch are more successful than your band btw.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
In the end a band is a diplomacy, a group of people working together to achieve a common goal, not to further your own interests. If the rest of the band wants to do something and he doesn't, he's not right for the band.

This^ Diplomacy means the highest vote wins. If a band member can't accept that then what is he doing in the band?
Just confront him about it and tell him to stop being such a bitch and move on. You gotta play something if you want to get noticed and playing covers and remakes are involved in that.
Whether he suits your style or not, kick him. He's too stubborn. If it's as bad as you're describing, theres no real long term alternative.

But before you kick him, make sure to copyright all your originals, you don't want him running around playing them with another band.
'The Blues is Easy to Play, but Hard to Feel'
Jimi Hendrix
He's concerned that you might become popular over a cover. How good is this cover, and how bad is your music? I hate to say it but you can't plan popularity.
Quote by take_it_t
He's concerned that you might become popular over a cover. How good is this cover, and how bad is your music? I hate to say it but you can't plan popularity.

this^

wtf, over?
I'd kick him, he's stubborn and refuses to compromise
Quote by craig-sansum
+10000000000000000000000000000000000

Quote by Sanitarium91
Liking the cosmic toad vocals is a sign of exquisite taste, so good on you!
it's not that badass. and we've already written 7 originals with a few more lined up on the way. we have practice today so i'm going to bring up some of these points, thanks guys
(\__/)
(='.'=)Help the Bunny
(")_(")
I think that you guys should do covers, just keep a healthy mix of originals. One of my band's favorite songs to play is "young lust" by Pink Floyd. It's great to play live and really shows off the energy we have. That doesn't mean that we don't write originals. A good musician learns from other peoples music!
Too cool for a signature.
I get a kick out of the attitude "I dont do covers." I understand it though. Some of the best songs I know are covers. Jimi's "All along the Watchtower", The Animals "House of the Rising Sun".

I dont understand why some folks say things like, "I dont want to be like Killswitch Engage, and just be known for a cover." Thats not reallly what thier known for. KE's already established fanbase knows them for thier originals, and Holy Diver was a nice topping. But mainstream america now has KE on the tip of thier mouth, and thats a very, very good thing when your talking about growing a fanbase.

Hey, if he dosent want to do covers, its his loss. If he dosent, and the band does, then its both your losses. But which attitude is going to get farther in this business? Yours or his?
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Last edited by Jonny Ryan Mac at Aug 18, 2009,
A guy who says "I don't do covers" is an immediate sign to me that he sucks. He probably started out trying to learn to play his favorite songs, and when he just couldn't do it, he gave up and decided writing his own stuff. It's a cop-out, more often than not. In my experience, a person who is well versed in cover songs is a lot more likely to know theory and excel at his instrument than someone who is not.
Last edited by ConfederateAxe at Aug 18, 2009,
People could just not want to do covers in a band situation. I know upwards of 60 songs, but I'm not one to play my version of "Ballroom Blitz" and "Sweet Home Alabama" at a bar every thursday night.

What do I know? Not very much if anything. What I do know, is that people join original bands to play original music. If he doesn't want to perform covers, you can boot his ass, unless you told him the band was intended to be simply an original band; In that case you bull****ted him and he has every right to turn down performing a cover.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc
I didnt have anything planned out, and I didn't know **** about improvising, so it was like "OH SHI- SOLO TIME" so I kerry-kinged it.
Quote by Brian 1.0
People could just not want to do covers in a band situation. I know upwards of 60 songs, but I'm not one to play my version of "Ballroom Blitz" and "Sweet Home Alabama" at a bar every thursday night.

What do I know? Not very much if anything. What I do know, is that people join original bands to play original music. If he doesn't want to perform covers, you can boot his ass, unless you told him the band was intended to be simply an original band; In that case you bull****ted him and he has every right to turn down performing a cover.

To clarify, I was speaking of my own situation. You would be right in pertaining to the OP's dilemma. Personally, I've come across numerous musicians in the past who balked at doing any covers and it turned out to be because they were lacking in ability or motivation or both.
Quote by Jonny Ryan Mac
I get a kick out of the attitude "I dont do covers." I understand it though. Some of the best songs I know are covers. Jimi's "All along the Watchtower", The Animals "House of the Rising Sun".

I dont understand why some folks say things like, "I dont want to be like Killswitch Engage, and just be known for a cover." Thats not reallly what thier known for. KE's already established fanbase knows them for thier originals, and Holy Diver was a nice topping. But mainstream america now has KE on the tip of thier mouth, and thats a very, very good thing when your talking about growing a fanbase.

Hey, if he dosent want to do covers, its his loss. If he dosent, and the band does, then its both your losses. But which attitude is going to get farther in this business? Yours or his?

agreed. i was a fan long before i even knew they covered HD, same goes for thrice ans send me an angel, disturbed did shout, did anyone give them s***? machinehead did message in a bottle by the police ffs! covers are cool if you make them your own, just like JRM said, Dylan's all along the watchtower quickly became Jimi's AATW. infact, I believe it was Bob Dylan whho said once that he was supprised Jimi didn't cover more of his songs, because "they were all [Hendrix's]."
I appreciate the whole non-covers thing, I mean I do covers, and originals, I don't see why you wouldn't do both, since you kinda have to do covers to get gigs in pubs, but I know a band here who does pretty much just originals and their fan base is growing, though I'd heard them before they had a fan base, when they used to perform at open mic nights, and they used to do more covers than originals there, though they still did originals.

Now they only do covers if you request it, and lucky for me since I know what songs they know, I know what songs I can get on request.

Covers really help people "like" your band, especially if you mostly do originals, and chuck in a cover every now and then, or on request.
Quote by King Turi
you kinda have to do covers to get gigs in pubs...
Covers really help people "like" your band, especially if you mostly do originals, and chuck in a cover every now and then, or on request

this^
they help you get gigs, and they're more-or-less guaranteed crowd pleasers (atleast something they know, which is a homerun for the bar-scene). Do yourself a favor, learn a few fan favorites that you could hear your band doing well in a fun/interresting way, and then hammer down on your originals... everyone wins.

as for the guy who hates doing covers... s*** dude, I hate 'em too, but they're a neccissary evil, so even if you don't want to, you gotta at some point or another. Tell him to suck it up.
Yeah, learning some "pub" songs would definately add to your bands popularity.

..I don't think it's classed as "selling out" when you decide to do some covers to get work.
It's called earning money.

Play "To Be With You" by Mr. Big at a pub gig and I guarentee everyone will go wild.
Same with "More Than Words" by Extreme.

But you gotta have some upbeat stuff in between them.
His reason for not doing covers is stupid.

"We don't wanna get popular off of one song."

What happens if you write 1 spectacular song that shoots you to fame. IS he not gonna play it because it makes people ignore the other songs?

If I were you I'd replace him.
***Short Sig***
Last edited by [= Tom =] at Aug 19, 2009,