So yea, I've basically been a beginner for three years, party due to rather long periods of time when I couldn't play the guitar since I didn't have one. Now, I have a lot of free time on my hands and want to get better. Problem is: Everytime I try to learn something, I get frustrated because either I cannot play the notes cleanly (e.g. unintentionally muting strings because my hands are too, well, sloppy) or my fretting hand really begins to hurt, but I do not know how to hold it properly. And yes, I do really suck t playing right now, I've lost almost everything I could do (some Muse stuff, Green Day and so on.) Could anyone give me any advice on where to start getting better?
Quote by blue_strat
This is Germany we're talking about.

Germany

Quote by stoner179
Thanks alot. When i read the first sentence, i dont know why, but i laughed in the middle of my first class at tech school. You sir have made me look like a fool for the first and last time
Just practice some simple songs from Green Day if u like them and the fretting hand pain will go away. it just has to get used to not really normal positions.
At first practice sitting down cuz it will hurt less.
And the string muting will go away too, if you'll practice enough.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
get a guitar teacher. yea its expensive but I get them for short bursts of time and see huge improvements during that time.
Quote by Kozlic
Just practice some simple songs from Green Day if u like them and the fretting hand pain will go away. it just has to get used to not really normal positions.
At first practice sitting down cuz it will hurt less.
And the string muting will go away too, if you'll practice enough.

Yes, Green Day songs are great, that's how I started my playing and I'm doing Children Of Bodom for my performances at school.
I've been playing for 6 years now (Y)
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone SG Special Customshop
Jackson JS30RR

Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss Metal Zone
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Ibanez Lo Fi
Behringer Tuner

Marshall AVT100X

Quote by IUseAPurplePick
Quote by Joshrocker48