Hey guys just need some help with my guitar. I bought an ibanez xiphos recently and have noticed it is extremely neck heavy and almost impossible to play standing. Is there anyway to fix this and is this an isolated incident or do all these guitars have this problem??? thanks in advance.
get a thick ass leather strap, should help a bit
Mah gear :p

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350DX
BC rich NJ neck thru series warlock
customized epi les paul

Amps:
blackstar ht-5 combo
VOX VT-100

Pedals:
bad dog phaser

"Remember your a WOMBLE!!!"
Quote by Morrie2995
dude you just became my hero. Nice
Quote by kendog1111
Hey guys just need some help with my guitar. I bought an ibanez xiphos recently and have noticed it is extremely neck heavy and almost impossible to play standing. Is there anyway to fix this and is this an isolated incident or do all these guitars have this problem??? thanks in advance.

Most odd shaped guitars (particularly V's and stuff like that) tend to be very neck heavy. My Ibanez VBT700 is pretty neck heavy, but I almost completely fixed it by having a thick strap without a smooth surface, so it doesn't slide much.

I also don't play with my guitar hanging at my knees, and that helps even more .

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
Quote by sylphin
get a thick ass leather strap, should help a bit

Yea ive already tried that but it ends up pulling the shoulder part of my shirt down to my chest i was thinking something more drastic maybe, like can the strap buttons be moved to make it sit right or weights added to the body??? im not sure havent done anything like this before haha.
Quote by ibanezgod1973
it`s not a thicker strap needed it`s a wider strap.

yea thats what i mean i went out and bought the widest i could find to no prevail. cost heaps as well
You need to reposition the strap pins, there´s a video on youtube somwhere out there that explains it, and it does work no matter what type of strap you use.
How low is your guitar?

Although it's probably a bad habit to get into, while playing my Xiphos standing up, I'll rest my right elbow on the wing, which pushes the neck up.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
(Invalid img)

Noticed that Suicmez does that too (no.mop)

TS. Try doing that ?

(Yeah it's a stealth but it's a pretty smilar shape)

Other than that, only way is to move the upper (neck) strap pin.
Look it up on the net for placement etc.
Last edited by Evil_Magician at Aug 18, 2009,
Quote by Evil_Magician
(Invalid img)

Noticed that Suicmez does that too (no.mop)

TS. Try doing that ?

(Yeah it's a stealth but it's a pretty smilar shape)

Other than that, only way is to move the upper (neck) strap pin.
Look it up on the net for placement etc.

Oh WOW! Thanks, that doesn't make it seem so bad
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
You could move the strap pin and it will help, but you will have to figure out where it would needed to be moved to.

I did this with a bass of mine so it sat parallel when I played it standing up, and it made a world of difference. Just be careful!!
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ