Okay I'm thinking its time for a new guitar but this time I want to take every major factor into account and now I see that guitar wood and the fretboard wood make a difference... really? I mean is it audible or is it really just a minor thing? Sometimes like with ESP guitars I'll see practically the same guitar but one with Rosewood fingerboard and one of maple... big deal or not?

I'd really appreciate any informed article (or knowledge) about the importance of wood type in electrical guitars.
it is very very important, because wood defines the way strings respond - and good responce is what you want to capture with those pickups, right?
both fingerboard and body wood matter a lot
number of pieces the guitar is made of matters too

i am perfectly sure 2-piece maple neck sounds almost as 2-piece rosewood/maple one. 1-piece necks sound much snappier
Originally Posted by Twist of fate
I thought the "clean" button was to clean out the inside of the amp automatically, so I never pressed it.

Originally Posted by DjBrandenburg
pedals are stupid
wood is very important it has a heavy effect on the tone and the feel, the fretboard is more about the feel however dont get maple if u wanna do anyitnhg warm
Fretboard wood will make a very small difference, it's mostly about aesthetics.

Body wood is important, different woods resonate well at different frequencies. Each piece of wood will have its own unique character, but its better distinguishing between woods in general, e.g. between mahogany and alder.

Check out warmoth.com's explanations, they have diagrams noting brightness, darkness, warmth of each wood's effect on tone. V.useful when deciding.
dont get maple if u wanna do anyitnhg warm

lies
snappy tone isnt equal to shrill and ice-picky tone

Fretboard wood will make a very small difference, it's mostly about aesthetics.

lies
fretboard wood is almost half as important as body wood
i always hear difference between 2 guitars having same body wood but different fretboard
I thought the "clean" button was to clean out the inside of the amp automatically, so I never pressed it.

pedals are stupid
chris kinman and many other guitar techs think the same
http://www.kinman.com/Shop/perfect_tmp.htm#neckWood

Neck woods.

Most people underestimate the contribution that the neck makes to the sound of an electric guitar. It is as important as the body in shaping the final tone. Traditionally Fenders have a brighter tone than Gibsons not only because of the pickups but also because of the Maple neck. Putting a guitar together with alternative woods will have an effect on the sound, sometimes with pleasant results and othertimes with disastrous consequences. Before leaping in do some research by talking to the suppliers and guitar makers who have had some experience in mixing and matching woods. Full maple necks sound somewhat brighter and more transparent than Roseboard necks which tend to accent the middle frequencies. Neither is better, just different, it's a personal preference thing. Also remember that big fat (boat) necks are great for tone and sustain, and are more comfortable than you might imagine.

pedals are stupid
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

everyone hears the diffenrence of woods in their own little way so the best way is to go to a store and ask if you can try as much diffenerent guitars + woods + pickups and hear for yourself
The order of your tone:

1. amp
2. pickups
3. guitar wood
4. strings

Guitar wood is the only thing you CAN'T change unless you get a new guitar. Not only does a good wood feel so much better, it also well here, google it. article
I'm not a Bible-thumper anymore. Realized I had a brain in '09.

I like guitars, running, and math.
Fretboard wood is far more important that just aesthetics. It is the main contact between strings and neck. Maple is bright. Great for Fender guys who like a jangly sound. Rosewood is less bright. Ebony falls between the two and is ideal with a Mahogany neck. There is a whole science of sound that comes from various wood combinations. My Yammy has Alder body, Maple neck and Rosewood fretboard. The combination works well for Strat-like sounds but I put in much 'darker' pups to bring the sound more to a half rock sound. My Cort has Mahogany body with no cap. To brighten it the neck is Maple and the fretboard, Ebony. A typical Les Paul is Mahogany body with a Maple cap, Mahogany neck and Ebony or Rosewood Fretboard. I prefer the brighter tones of the Ebony ones, personally.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

I played a Encore strat at the store and almost wanted to smash the hell out of it. The tone was staggering bad and the thing felt like a cheap plank of wood. Yeah. There's a different between wood and wood
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

This is all really helpful, thanks. I had no realization that wood was that influential.

I'm looking into getting a Dean that has a Mahogany body, mahogany neck and rosewood fingerboard. . . a bad combo? Sorry, I'm new to the complexities of guitar woods...
Quote by BlueDaze
This is all really helpful, thanks. I had no realization that wood was that influential.

I'm looking into getting a Dean that has a Mahogany body, mahogany neck and rosewood fingerboard. . . a bad combo? Sorry, I'm new to the complexities of guitar woods...

No combo is necessarily bad, it will be deep, dark, bassy, some people like it, some do not. It is about what sounds best to you.
Which dean are you talking about?

Yes, wood affects the tone, but most people won't notice a difference unless a lot of factors are different (scale length, neck joint type, pickups, bridge type, etc).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
1: Learn to build guitars
2: Build an alder and maple LP
3: Build a mahogany and maple LP
4: ?????
5: PROFIT INTELLECTUALLY!
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku
1: Learn to build guitars
2: Build an alder and maple LP
3: Build a mahogany and maple LP
4: ?????
5: PROFIT INTELLECTUALLY!

BOOYAH!

Shin's right.
Alder sounds very different from Mahogany.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Psalm 150:4
The order of your tone:

1. amp
2. pickups
3. guitar wood
4. strings

Guitar wood is the only thing you CAN'T change unless you get a new guitar. Not only does a good wood feel so much better, it also well here, google it. article

guitar wood is before pickups in every way, shape and form. Without a good piece of wood, pickups won't sound anywhere near their true potential.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by Archieisted
wood is very important it has a heavy effect on the tone and the feel, the fretboard is more about the feel however dont get maple if u wanna do anyitnhg warm

maple fretboard does give the guitar a snappier response and a crisper, clearer tone but you can still get nice smooth tones from them. to me the fretboard wood seems to make up about half of the note attack whereas the body wood gives the rest of it, and more of the sustaining tone as the vibrations begin to resonate through it more - although i have no knowledge of physics to back that up so it could be complete nonsense

edit: ^+1. the PAFs in a '58 gibson les paul won't make a modern gibson sound anywhere near as good as the '58.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Aug 18, 2009,
I have the atx c-7...I love the tone of the mahogany with ebony fingerboard. I had a Jackson with a maple and rosewood combo and that was excellent also. Had an american fender maple with maple fretboard.....forget what the body was....it was the us highway 1.....sounded horrible and was gone after bein played maybe 5 times..Its all a preference but it definitaley does effect things.
Quote by Psalm 150:4
The order of your tone:

1. amp
2. player
3. pickups
4. guitar wood
5. strings

Fixed.